Comic book question

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent read a comic since GI Joe #87, but saw this image in a fark.com thread and was wondering if one of you comic book folks could give me some info on it. I think I just really like the style.

The image;
You must be registered for see images

A-Bomb

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am guessing it is Justice League of America.

A-Bomb

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I am guessing it is Justice League of America.

A-Bomb

Yeah I never really got into DC Comics, but that would look like the JLA

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's from a mini series called "Kingdom Come." It's about a possible future where the next few generations of superheroes have sort of "lost thier way." It's really, really good. Written by Mark Waid (I think) and painted by Alex Ross.

I'll look for a link with a more complete summary and post it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:
[font=Verdana,Helvetica]Synopsis:
Kingdom Come is an Elseworlds title that examines a possible future where the children of today's heroes are the ones calling the shots. All super-villains have been eliminated by these meta-humans, and with no-one else left they regularly turn on each other, with little regard for humans that suffer because of their actions.

The story is told through the lens of Pastor Norman McKay. Acting as an all-seeing narrator McKay bears witness to an earth where hope has evaporated. The innocence and heroism engendered by the original heroes is non-existent. This profound fear culminates with the nuclear destruction of Kansas caused by Superman's successor Magog. This pushes Superman to re-instate the JLA, to rid the world of rogue meta-humans by any means necessary.

Comments:
Mark Waid and Alex Ross weave an intricate examination of both political ideals and failures within this story elevating it above what easily could have become a four-issue fist fight between the old and new meta-humans.

Waid sets up a number of interesting dichotomies during the course of the story. Probably the most affecting is the problem that Superman faces as leader of the JLA - he needs to enforce peace, yet he finds himself resorting to violent means to achieve it. How far into violence can someone descend in the name of peace? By placing Superman in a situation that causes both himself and readers to question such lofty ideals, Waid has imbued a sense of humanity into a character whose personality is usually as well-rounded as a cardboard cut-out.

The book examines both Communism (the JLA set up a gulag for dissenting meta-humans to "re-educate" them) and Police states (Gotham as ruled by the Batman) very broadly. Once again these pose many questions but provide little answers, making the reader contemplate and question their pre-conceived notions of these ideals.

The character of Norman McKay is the crowning glory of this book. He acts as the all-seeing narrator through which we experience the events that unfold. Waid cleverly evokes a Socrates-Plato dynamic between the Spectre and McKay (and earlier between Sandman and McKay). The Spectre provided no answers, only questions, and leaves both McKay and the reader to find answers, and even more importantly to form opinions.

In terms of artwork this book is amazing. Alex Ross works from photo-references (some examples of which are in the back of the book) and his characters jump from the page as real believable people. The close ties with reality that Ross' artwork evokes only strengthens the dilemmas that the characters experience through the course of the story.

Final Word:
This is a book that no-one with even a passing interest in comics, politics, or philosophy should pass up. It has a sophistication and intelligence that sticks in your mind and leaves niggling questions and doubts, as all good literature should.
[/font]
I don't thinkthe guy who wrote this review understands politics like he thinks he does, but it's a decent overview.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks Pariah. I think I will order it with my next Amazon order...I might need to dig up my old GI Joe comics too. ;)

A-Bomb

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is it me or does Superman look a little bloated?

Djaughe

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Is it me or does Superman look a little bloated?

Eh? I'm too busy checking out wonder woman and power girl to notice.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
It's been so long since I have read any DC comic. Still read and collect Conan!
The new conan series by Kurt Busiek is friggin awesome!

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The new conan series by Kurt Busiek is friggin awesome!
It's great! Also, Red Sonja by Dynamite is pretty good. Love the art! Don't understand why both Dark Horse and Dynamite don't have any subscription plan.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson