Cloverfield

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one that bugs me immediately is his cell battery is dead so he goes into a store, gets another battery and gets his phone working. I've never bought a replacement battery for a cell phone that didn't require you charge it before you can use it?

Dude, it's Manhattan. Haven't you heard? You can find a charged cell battery at 2 a.m. in the middle of a catastrophic monster attack.

Also, that monster was probably there for many months, walking down Broadway completely naked, and no New Yorkers noticed because they're above that sort of thing.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of things in the story that you have to say "oh come on!" when you are watching this movie, but since there's a 10 story high indestructible man-killing-city-destroying monster with mini monsters falling off it, you probably have to give it the leeway of a few flaws.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
Interesting I think I've only had to buy a new battery twice but in both cases it had to be charged before using. To be honest I don't think I tried it I just followed instructions and plugged it in to charge.

Lithium ion batteries are best stored at around 80% capacity (to much or two little reduces the life of the battery).

You *should* be able to take a lithium battery out of the pack and use it without charging.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of things in the story that you have to say "oh come on!" when you are watching this movie, but since there's a 10 story high indestructible man-killing-city-destroying monster with mini monsters falling off it, you probably have to give it the leeway of a few flaws.

What he said. Suspend the lead balloon of disbelief and be a kid again.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm not going to tear down the movie, it was entertaining which is about all you can ask for now days.

However, I've officially had it with bad scifi backstories that stretch plausibility past human comprehension.

First of all this had zero backstory and thus it's cleverly exempted from explaining anything and so the story promptly uses this to the hilt in terms of just wildly throwing out events that are ridiculously incomprehensible.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
What he said. Suspend the lead balloon of disbelief and be a kid again.

I went and saw Dark Knight last weekend and for some reason there wasn't a lead balloon of disbelief in the room.

Damn that was good.

I rewatched Cloverfield for the first time since seeing it at the theatre and just still was not impressed. Some of the FX shots were impressive but at the end my first two second impressions were.

That was alot shorter then I remembered.
It just didn't have enough substance.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm not going to tear down the movie, it was entertaining which is about all you can ask for now days.

However, I've officially had it with bad scifi backstories that stretch plausibility past human comprehension.

First of all this had zero backstory and thus it's cleverly exempted from explaining anything and so the story promptly uses this to the hilt in terms of just wildly throwing out events that are ridiculously incomprehensible.

I've read that this will be the story for Cloverfield 2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Well, the storytelling technique forces the script to NOT have any backstory. What do you want, the military guys to explain everything to the nobody civilians about the monster?

The story is thin, but really, it's supposed to be thin, because we're in the point-of-view of some moron holding a video camera.