CJ's next estimated contract details

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, it took him a few weeks after Covid but he's been playing much better of late. When you realize who he's playing next to because of injuries, it's pretty impressive he's done this well

He finished up 10.5 sacks in 15 games, Golden 11 in 16. Golden is better against the run but Chandler had 6 forced fumbles, a couple more got taken away by penalty and I think he caused 2-3 INT's too. He's getting older obviously, they both are but he can still play. We need to get some youth on the edge as well

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it? I don't know. I'm not in love with having him longer than a year. His decline could be steep and quick.
We don't know for sure since the cap hasn't been set, but CBS sports estimates it at ~18M for normal players, but

Franchise tags will be too cost prohibitive for the Cardinals and Chiefs with outside linebacker Chandler Jones and safety Tyrann Mathieu because of the 120% of prior year's salary provisions. Jones' tag number will be $25 million.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We don't know for sure since the cap hasn't been set, but CBS sports estimates it at ~18M.

Only a bit over a mill more than what was quoted above, and we don't have to give him a 2-year deal? Yes, that would be my preference.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only a bit over a mill more than what was quoted above, and we don't have to give him a 2-year deal? Yes, that would be my preference.
See my edit. Chandler's tag amount is $25M.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is pretty much what I think he's worth and ballpark what it would cost to tag him.

Its probably better for him to take the tag though and the guarantees it comes with.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Isn't franchising him over 20M for next year? At that rate and the amount of guaranteed money, the 2 year deal seems well worth it.
I’m guessing the Fran tag is $19 mil. At his age he’s more like $15 on a 3 year deal. I just think he’s slipping. I wouldn’t pay it. My preference would be Jermaine Johnson from FSU via Georgia.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He gets the LB tag so $17.4m.
He gets 120% of his current salary, so ~ 25M unless I am missing something. His cap hit was $20,176,388 this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooooh didn't know about the 120% thing. No tag then.
Exactly. It is re-sign for a smaller 2 year deal with us or more likely he walks. I think he will want a 3-4 year deal. Someone will probably give it to him too.

Let's not forget he did ask to be traded...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Exactly. It is re-sign for a smaller 2 year deal with us or more likely he walks. I think he will want a 3-4 year deal. Someone will probably give it to him too.

Let's not forget he did ask to be traded...
I don't think that's right, though. It's supposed to be the average of the top 3 at the position, not 120% of your current salary, IIRC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson