CJ's next estimated contract details

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's right, though. It's supposed to be the average of the top 3 at the position, not 120% of your current salary, IIRC.
My understanding it is either/or... but you go with whichever is the higher number.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeesh, 25 would be far too much. I simply don't want him on a big multi-year deal. Eh, it's a tough situation.
I dunno man...2 yes 35mil ain't so bad. Bet ya most of the free agents will get close to that.
Just front load it so we can cut him in the second year without eating 17mil in dead money

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Time to move on and let him go. Marcus Golden is costing us just $3 Million. Why pay $15 million or more for Chandler who is 32 yrs and slipping. Sign some free agents and draft some rushers.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep seeing that there's nobody available in FA.

There's a bunch of teams we'll over the cap and teams overhauling with new GMs and coaches. There's going to be other options.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
1. Yes, I would pay that.
2. He will get more on the open market IMO. Name, Captain, Paying for past performance, etc. He's getting 20 per year or darn close to it IMO.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Two more years at this rate would be fantastic for the team. No long term commitment.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Yes please. Dude is respected by players league-wide for a reason. If he gets a DC who can actually scheme pressure, he’s got a lot of production left in him.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He gets 120% of his current salary, so ~ 25M unless I am missing something. His cap hit was $20,176,388 this year.
Hmm, i was about to correct this since his SALARY was $15,500,000. But then I read the article cited earlier:
How franchise tenders are calculated is misunderstood. Prior to the 2011 collective bargaining agreement, non-exclusive franchise tags had been an average of the five largest salaries in the prior year at a player's position or 120% of the prior year's salary of the player, whichever was greater. For franchise tag purposes, salary means a player's salary cap number, excluding workout bonuses and most other performance bonuses.
And then specifically regarding Jones:
Franchise tags will be too cost prohibitive for the Cardinals and Chiefs with outside linebacker Chandler Jones and safety Tyrann Mathieu because of the 120% of prior year's salary provisions. Jones' tag number will be $25 million.
So, yeah... prohibitive.

...dave

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transition tag.
Nope. :sad:
The transition tag has been used with a lot less frequency than the franchise tag. It is based on the average of the top 10 salaries at a player's position using the same methodology as non-exclusive franchise tag calculations. The 120% provision also applies.
...dave

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We need to build the roster not streamline it. We will have plenty of years ahead to do that.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Is it? I don't know. I'm not in love with having him longer than a year. His decline could be steep and quick.
I'm with Stout on this one. I rather overpay him for one year and see what he brings to the table than commit $33.5 over two years and be on the hook for the $24 million guaranteed which can really hurt come cap time in 2023 when the team has a plethora of FAs coming up unless they plan on paying him all the guaranteed money up front which never happens. Twelve million (assuming the guaranteed money is spread equally over two years) in dead money in 2023 would hamper signing other players if Jones is let go in 2023 or traded.

Here is a link that compares Jones to other players his age at similar positions:

Link:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/chandler-jones-9831/market-value/

Here is a link that explains how the tag works and what is and isn't included in determining salary. I cannot authenticate the accuracy of this article.

Link:https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-how-franchise-tag-work-nfl

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Stout on this one. I rather overpay him for one year and see what he brings to the table than commit $33.5 over two years and be on the hook for the $24 million guaranteed which can really hurt come cap time in 2023 when the team has a plethora of FAs coming up unless they plan on paying him all the guaranteed money up front which never happens. Twelve million (assuming the guaranteed money is spread equally over two years) in dead money in 2023 would hamper signing other players if Jones is let go in 2023 or traded.

Here is a link that compares Jones to other players his age at similar positions:

Link:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/chandler-jones-9831/market-value/

Here is a link that explains how the tag works and what is and isn't included in determining salary. I cannot authenticate the accuracy of this article.

Link:https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-how-franchise-tag-work-nfl
If you are paying him 25M guaranteed for 1 year on the franchise tag, or 24M guaranteed over 2 years without, you aren't on the hook for more money?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of this either. Where is this from?
The collective bargaining agreement.

From the article I posted before.

Under the exclusive franchise tag, a player will receive a one year offer from his team that is the greater of the average of the top five salaries at his position once the restricted free agent signing period of the current league year has ended (April 22 for 2022) or 120% of his prior year's salary.

Since Jones and Tyrann are already making more than the top 5 salaries at his position for the franchise tag, he gets 120% of his salary. 20M because 25M.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The collective bargaining agreement.

From the article I posted before.

Since Jones and Tyrann are already making more than the top 5 salaries at his position for the franchise tag, he gets 120% of his salary. 20M because 25M.
Thanks, I sure missed that one. Big factor.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If you are paying him 25M guaranteed for 1 year on the franchise tag, or 24M guaranteed over 2 years without, you aren't on the hook for more money?
No because I was using the first post here which had him getting a 2 yr. $33.5 million contract.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No because I was using the first post here which had him getting a 2 yr. $33.5 million contract.
I was referring to Stout wanting the franchise vs 2 year deal. He only wants him back on a one year deal as far as he has stated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson