Chris Paul free agency thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. That is an incredible deal. CP3 must have lots of confidence in his ability to compete through that contract.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only crappy thing is foster ref thing in poffs we shall see

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is actually an excellent deal. There was an article the other day about how a 4 year deal shouldn't be alarming due to the Over 38 Rule. If this report is true, it is even a better deal than I was expecting.

JJ has made some very nice moves, but he seems incapable of getting us the big man we so desperately need. This would make three years in a row that this critical need is going unaddressed.
You just keep saying untrue things over and over. Stop it. Just stop it. First of all, JJ has only had two off-seasons to work. This is his third. In his first off-season he added Saric, Kaminsky, and Baynes. In his second off-season he retained Kaminsky and Saric while adding Jalen Smith. Saric especially has been useful. We might even have a championship without his injury. Could we use more depth? Yes. Has the need been unaddressed? Course not.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Probably - but how likely are we to make it back to the finals with him healthy? History says chances aren't good.
True. But if book isn’t playing a broken nose, Ayton and Bridges and the cams take steps forward and shamet, McGee and whomever else we sign are good additions, we don’t need super Paul.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably - but how likely are we to make it back to the finals with him healthy? History says chances aren't good.

The NBA is wide open.

Bucks/Nets/Lakers would be the favorites, but as we have seen, whose healthy is a prime factor for advancing in the playoffs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What? Why compete at all then? After all, only one team a year wins it all. That's what history says. Not good chances.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? Why compete at all then? After all, only one team a year wins it all. That's what history says. Not good chances.
He does have a point about CP3's health in the playoffs. Having said that there isn't a better option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont see how anyone can dislike the CP3 and CP15 deals.

Kind of surprised it seems to unanimous considering all fhe people that sword Paul wasn't even going to turn down his player option.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Had to do it, no doubt. I have no idea if they make the WCF next year, there's just too many variables to consider. But, I think (except for a starting caliber PF) that the roster has improved with Shamet and McGee. But, if they roll with what they got now they will still be a formidable team next season IMO. CP3, Booker and Ayton guaranty they will be.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Espn+ has a piece about Paul's new deal. It mentions only $90 million is guaranteed. The new deal adds approximately $44 million in new guaranteed money to his deal, had he picked up his player option this year. When viewed that way, its a steal. Its not a bad deal anyway its viewed when considering only $90 million is guaranteed though.

Another thing it mentions worth noting it is could be flat, ascending, or descending. So it could be between $26.8 and $33 million this season. So talk of talk room we currently have is a guess and could be less than we believe. Taking a larger hit now would save tax money in the future.

Espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31945184/nba-free-agency-2021-how-chris-paul-return-shifts-phoenix-suns-roadmap

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Espn+ has a piece about Paul's new deal. It mentions only $90 million is guaranteed. The new deal adds approximately $44 million in new guaranteed money to his deal, had he picked up his player option this year. When viewed that way, its a steal. Its not a bad deal anyway its viewed when considering only $90 million is guaranteed though.

Another thing it mentions worth noting it is could be flat, ascending, or descending. So it could be between $26.8 and $33 million this season. So talk of talk room we currently have is a guess and could be less than we believe. Taking a larger hit now would save tax money in the future.

Espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31945184/nba-free-agency-2021-how-chris-paul-return-shifts-phoenix-suns-roadmap
Was anybody really anticipating a steal with this contract? I mean the rumor has been around $30 million for as long as I remember and his player option was higher. When you sign an All-Star I don't think anybody expects a steal. That fourth year was a bit of a surprise and I think before this contract is up he falls off the proverbial cliff. I really see this as a two year window.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose