Choose The Suns Next Head Coach?

Who would you like to see the Suns hire as head coach this summer?

• David Fizdale

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Jay Wright

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Monty Williams

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Mark Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Kidd

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Jay Triano

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Dan Majerle

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Mike Budenholzer

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Learning ----- to be more hands off and let people do their jobs???

If that is supposed to be reassuring, it isn't.

Learning isn't the same as doing.

Being "more hands off" isn't the same as being "hands off".

Fourteen years and he is "learning" to be less worse.

How can any Suns fan or sports reporter be satisfied with that?
What other hope do we have, BC? I never said it was reassuring. For a man supposedly very good at being a banker, I would hope in 14 years of ownership that he's learned something. If not, we're all screwed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

"According to a league source, Mike Budenholzer pulled out of the Suns job due to owner Robert Sarver’s “hands-on” approach, not allowing employees to do their job."

"David Fizdale shares the same line of thinking and does not look at Phoenix as an attractive coaching destination."

So it is not a question of good potential coaches wanting power beyond their job.

They just want to be able to do their job. But Sarver scares off good potential coaches. And GM's, too?

So he can use his banker's money to feed his ego and play a game pretending that he is an NBA GM and coaching expert.

JERRY COLANGELO CHOSE HIM. WHERE IS JERRY DURING ALL THIS?

DESPITE HIS TIES WITH THE 76ers, HAS HE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH SARVER AND TOLD HIM TO BACK OFF AND COUNT HIS MONEY?

AND, IF NOT, WHY NOT?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"According to a league source, Mike Budenholzer pulled out of the Suns job due to owner Robert Sarver’s “hands-on” approach, not allowing employees to do their job."

"David Fizdale shares the same line of thinking and does not look at Phoenix as an attractive coaching destination."

So it is not a question of good potential coaches wanting power beyond their job.

They just want to be able to do their job. But Sarver scares off good potential coaches. And GM's, too?

So he can use his banker's money to feed his ego and play a game pretending that he is an NBA GM and coaching expert.

DESPITE HIS TIES WITH THE 76ers, HAS HE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH SARVER AND TOLD HIM TO BACK OFF AND COUNT HIS MONEY?

AND, IF NOT, WHY NOT?

Probably because Sarver shoved him and his son out the door and doesn’t care about him... nor believes Sarver would listen to him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What other hope do we have, BC? I never said it was reassuring. For a man supposedly very good at being a banker, I would hope in 14 years of ownership that he's learned something. If not, we're all screwed.
As I have been posting, the hope we have is the 70% majority of the other owners strip Sarver of his Managing General Partner title.

Any one of the other eight (all it takes is one) would be better than the results we've seen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn’t say “I think” he says “according to league sources”
And his league source is probably Charles Barkley. He makes it sound like he has inside knowledge when all he has is a Charles Barkley public statement.

Who is this guy anyway?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And his league source is probably Charles Barkley. He makes it sound like he has inside knowledge when all he has is a Charles Barkley public statement.

Who is this guy anyway?

Isn’t he the same guy who said Fish was let go from Atlanta because of philosophical reasons which gave you pause to deflect blame from the Suns on why he parted with us?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That said, he does have only 800 followers so who knows how real his info is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Superbone

Reaction score
As I have been posting, the hope we have is the 70% majority of the other owners strip Sarver of his Managing General Partner title.

Any one of the other eight (all it takes is one) would be better than the results we've seen.
And I applaud your effort.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

AND, IF NOT, WHY NOT?
What? You have to be kidding. It’s not Jerry’s team any more. He can’t just barge in and give orders.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What? You have to be kidding. It’s not Jerry’s team any more. He can’t just barge in and give orders.

I know, right? It cracks me up every time. That would be like someone selling me a guitar, and then years later telling me I am not taking care of it well enough for their liking.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

AND, IF NOT, WHY NOT?
Colangelo can't contact the Suns to help the team unless the NBA intervenes which they need to do like they did for Philly. It's pathetic how Adam Silver seems to only care about the Sixers and not the Suns. Not like Philly is some big market team either.

The NBA needs to intervene and let Jerry be Pres of Basketball Ops for a bit until this thing can get turned around and then he can find someone else to finish his task.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know, right? It cracks me up every time. That would be like someone selling me a guitar, and then years later telling me I am not taking care of it well enough for their liking.
Don't compare it to a guitar...compare it to a dog. If you sold me a dog and years later we run into one another at a park and you see me kicking and punching the dog and the dog looks severely malnourished, what would you do? You'd call the authorities....and that's what Colangelo could do in this situation...he can call Adam Silver who is the authority in this instance and tell him to let him right the Suns ship like he did for the 76ers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
and he appears to be interested in the Knicks job. Something doesn't compute here
If it is true, the only probable explanation is that no other NBA city is the Big Apple. And LaLa Land is not available. If it is true.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colangelo can't contact the Suns to help the team unless the NBA intervenes which they need to do like they did for Philly. It's pathetic how Adam Silver seems to only care about the Sixers and not the Suns. Not like Philly is some big market team either.

The NBA needs to intervene and let Jerry be Pres of Basketball Ops for a bit until this thing can get turned around and then he can find someone else to finish his task.

We've been bad but not that bad. The Philly owner was ok with Colangelo coming in also. They were blatantly tanking for half a decade before the league got involved also. The Suns haven't been tanking that long, they've just been bad. Why do you think the NBA never stepped in with the Clippers before they got decent in the 2000's? They put an effort in, at least enough to keep the league from taking the team over and the Suns have definitely done that here. Any hopes or dreams that Silver or Colangelo will save the Suns from Sarver is wishful thinking.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We've been bad but not that bad. The Philly owner was ok with Colangelo coming in also. They were blatantly tanking for half a decade before the league got involved also. The Suns haven't been tanking that long, they've just been bad. Why do you think the NBA never stepped in with the Clippers before they got decent in the 2000's? They put an effort in, at least enough to keep the league from taking the team over and the Suns have definitely done that here. Any hopes or dreams that Silver or Colangelo will save the Suns from Sarver is wishful thinking.
I think any hope or dream that Sarver will learn his lessons and save the Suns from himself is even further wishful thinking then imo.

He's a 50+ year old millionaire. He's not gonna change who he is.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think any hope or dream that Sarver will learn his lessons and save the Suns from himself is even further wishful thinking then imo.

He's a 50+ year old millionaire. He's not gonna change who he is.

He may not change but that doesn't mean the NBA will try to take control of his team away from him. The situation with the Sixers was different since they openly planned on losing as many games as possible, the Suns haven't done that and I highly doubt they will go that route. They did tank but not to the same degree. The situation here is we have an owner who is too involved and he's in over his head, which causes the team to suffer. For the NBA to tell him he needs to back off we'll need to get a lot worse before that's even considered. He's no more involved than Mark Cuban in Dallas but the Mavericks have been successful. They can't tell an owner he can't have a say in the teams operations.

I'm not saying I expect Sarver to change but I think that is more likely than the NBA stepping in to help the Suns turn the franchise around after a string of losing seasons. It's not going to happen. How long did the NBA sit back while the Clippers were awful? It's wishful thinking but it's completely delusional. The only way they'll get involved is he openly starts advocating tanking or gets caught saying racist remarks like Sterling. Not being a good team won't get the league to take action.

Superbone

Reaction score
Well, if Sarver keeps it up, nobody is going to go to Suns games any more. Let's hope he's unable to single handedly lose the team and drive it out of town. We are currently in the worst stretch in the team's 50 year history. Wouldn't have happened under Jerry's watch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard