Choose The Suns Next Head Coach?

Who would you like to see the Suns hire as head coach this summer?

• David Fizdale

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Jay Wright

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Monty Williams

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Mark Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Kidd

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Jay Triano

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Dan Majerle

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Mike Budenholzer

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone suggested making a poll in that last thread where coaching candidates were discussed and since no one else made one so far I thought I'd get one going. The poll is open to where you could select 2 of the 8 choices listed and there is also an "other" option. I almost didn't include that since I think I've got everyone covered that's been mentioned and rumored but if someone wants to make another suggestion, throw it in here.

The Suns should be able to attract quality candidates with players like Booker and Jackson on the roster as well as having a top lottery pick and close to $30 million in cap space if they rescind the rights to all of their own free agents, mainly Len and Payton. I included all of the regularly named candidates and those rumored for the position.

This is the most important coaching hire in Sarver's reign as owner. We have too many young players right now that need to be developed and groomed for the future in addition to 2 potential superstars in Booker and Jackson. We need to start trending upwards so we can keep those 2 and build around them, as well as lottery pick this year.

McD has said that the financial portion won't be an issue in their search, implying they'll pay what's needed to bring in their top choice and hopefully that is true. The next coaching hire is too important to go cheap with. I'm sure McD knows that this selection will also cost him his job if he doesn't get it right, as it should. Here is a link to an article where the financial part is discussed by McD. That article also links to some other sites that discuss the opening more and goes over some candidates. Here is an article by the Ringer about our coaching search and lists candidates the Suns should look at. Lastly, here is an article where McD says the search has already started and discusses some options as well.

Like I said, you can pick 2 of the people listed and if you select "other" please mention who you would like to see hired. I figured 2 choices allows everyone an A and B option.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Fizdale and thought he was given a raw deal in Memphis. He had them playing well but was asked to change their system from the slow grind it out style to be more like the current fast paced style the league is moving towards but he got resistance from Marc Gasol, who the team sided with. He was fired after just 1 year in which he was able to bring them to the postseason and beat the Spurs twice in the 1st round.

Here is an article that says the Suns are targeting him, and the Lakers are also...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...agic-knicks-pistons/ivyy667icovh1xftio43vtxxw

And a local take on that also...

http://arizonasports.com/story/1444447/report-suns-looking-david-fizdale-next-head-coach/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chose Fizdale and Wright but I have a feeling Wright is not leaving Villanova.

Really hope the Suns can get Fizdale.

A third option might be Luke Walton.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Walton is already done with the Lakers? What rock have I been hiding under :(

edupunk

Reaction score
I'd be happy with wright or Fizdale. Idk if Jay Wright is going to want to sign with Phoenix, or with any NBA team for that matter. Phoenix would have to offer him a whole lot of money for him to even consider. Also, Wright and Fiz will have a bunch of choices.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walton is already done with the Lakers? What rock have I been hiding under :(

If Fizdale went to the Lakers, which are reportedly competitors with the Suns for his services, Walton would be available

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Walton’s done a great job with this Lakers squad this year.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Lakers will let Walton go, if they do then I'd be all for going after him but the chances of that happening are slim. If he is let go, I think it will happen around the time the Suns are about finished with their own coaching search so I can't see him being a realistic candidate. He's done well with the Lakers though. He'll probably go back to the Warriors bench until another position opens up for him. It wouldn't surprise me that much if he replaces Kerr as the Warriors coach also since he's been battling health issues for the last couple of years. I'm surprised he's made it through the season so far. The last 2 years he's missed a substantial amount of time.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be happy with Wright, Fizdale, or Van Gundy but I don't think Van Gundy will take a coaching job anywhere unless he can get a deal like his brother where he's also the GM. I know Stan is no longer the GM in Detroit but he was for a while and his failure is the reason he's not GM any longer. I think Jeff is the better coach of the two but I don't think he'd join a rebuilding team like the Suns unless he had full control. He's probably looking for the next job like the Warriors where Kerr took over for Jackson to get them to take the next step.

Fizdale would be a good hire that would show the Suns meant they were serious about paying for a quality coach and that McD is paying attention to the current NBA climate. I can see Fizdale being successful wherever he ends up. He coaches both sides of the ball and is young enough that he could be a team's head coach for the next decade, easily, so long as he's successful. Part of the reason the Lakers are looking at him is because he was Lebron's assistant coach in Miami. I don't see that being enough for them to recruit Lebron. If he wants to play for Fizdale he'll make the Cavs hire him.

If Wright comes to the NBA I don't think there is a better option than the Suns job. We have cap space, young stars, and flexibility. Whoever comes on as the HC should be in position to succeed. From all accounts both Booker and Jackson are responsive to being coached so I don't see them butting heads with a new coach. I'm sure Wright wants to be in position to be part of a competitive team and while the Suns won't be that competitive next year he'll be coaching our young players at a stage where he could put his stamp on them and help them reach their potential. He could be for the Suns what Brad Stevens has been in Boston. I know Milwaukee is another job he may look at but I think the Suns job is more attractive. They have Giannis but how long will he be ok staying in Milwaukee? They couldn't keep Kareem back in the day and have had trouble hanging onto any star player that passes through since then.

Monty Williams wouldn't be a bad hire. Other than Fizdale and Wright I'd be ok with it. It wouldn't be a big name or a flashy signing but he's done ok as an NBA coach and should be able to handle this team and help get them moving in the right direction. I don't think we'd be as good as quickly with him but I don't think he'd be a bad hiring at all. He'd be a better choice than Triano, Majerle, or Kidd. Who I rank in that order of preference. I really don't want to see Kidd hired by the Suns. Jerry sent him off for a reason, keep him away from our youngsters and the entire franchise.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZCentral has a new article about Jay Wright coaching the Suns after last nights title game.

The quote at the end of the article from Wright makes me question whether he makes the move to the NBA at all.

“I just (feel like I) have the best job in the country,” Wright said late Monday night. “I'm in my hometown, my wife's alma mater, my favorite team growing up. I got a great president, a great (athletic director). I just loving going to work every day. Our guys graduate. As a coach, there's just nothing better.”

Didn't realize he had so many ties to Villanova. He's won 2 titles in 3 years though, there isn't really anything left for him to accomplish at that level. He may want to make the jump now while he has his pick between a number of different NBA jobs and if he makes the move now he should be young enough to coach for another decade in the NBA. He's 56 right now.

The FBI investigation is still looming over all of college basketball right now also. The fallout from that hasn't started yet but once it does, I wouldn't want to be a head coach in the NCAA. A lot of teams should be hit with various forms of punishment. How satisfying would another national title be if a lot of the major programs aren't eligible to compete?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...nix-suns-nba-national-championship/480667002/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wishful thinking on the part of the local fishwrap.

How so? They crapped on him once before.
Because, Dan acted immaturely throughout his playing career. The Suns didn't crap on him. They knew that he was nowhere near ready to start a Head Coaching career directly in the NBA.

It seems that Dan has matured a lot with the experience of coaching young players.

The question is ... do the unqualified Sarver and young McDonough have the basketball IQ to know if Majerle has what it takes? I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. The blind leading the blind.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One name I haven't seen listed and has got a lot of buzz recently is Jerry Stackhouse.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/14/jerry-stackhouse-improving-as-coach-nba-d-league-raptors-905

Maybe he could come here and break Josh Jackson's face...

Or, we could hire him and a few years down the road he could break Dennis Smith jr's face in the 2nd round of the playoffs? It would lack the magic of the initials (JJ) but it would maybe wipe the misery of that season from our minds.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when people were saying Jerry Stackhouse would be the next Michael Jordon.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Because, Dan acted immaturely throughout his playing career. The Suns didn't crap on him. They knew that he was nowhere near ready to start a Head Coaching career directly in the NBA.
Didn't Los sunS call him the "associate head coach" from 2008-2013? They must have thought something of him during that time.

Anyway, why would he or Wright accept a job at the perennially tanking sunS when they are the monarchs of their respective schools. Majerle's made his cashish, he doesn't need a payday.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't Los sunS call him the "associate head coach" from 2008-2013? They must have thought something of him during that time.

Anyway, why would he or Wright accept a job at the perennially tanking sunS when they are the monarchs of their respective schools. Majerle's made his cashish, he doesn't need a payday.

I don't want Dan Majerle, but I suspect as a head coach he would likely equal or exceed the salary he made back in his playing days. There is zero chance he turns it down.

As for Jay Wright, a new challenge? A raise? I don't know if he'd accept the job but the Suns should make a serious push for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want Dan Majerle, but I suspect as a head coach he would likely equal or exceed the salary he made back in his playing days. There is zero chance he turns it down.

As for Jay Wright, a new challenge? A raise? I don't know if he'd accept the job but the Suns should make a serious push for him.

Maybe a phone inquiry to his agent but it's such a long shot that I wouldn't put much effort into it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson