Choose The Suns Next Head Coach?

Who would you like to see the Suns hire as head coach this summer?

• David Fizdale

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Jay Wright

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Monty Williams

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Mark Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Kidd

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Jay Triano

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Dan Majerle

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Mike Budenholzer

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Motivated by those of you who have now been expressing what a dunderhead Robert Sarver is, I researched all I could find about the Suns ownership group. They have been called Suns Legacy Partners, LLC from the start. And that is the group that Jerry (with his 16% ownership) sold to Sarver (and his 30% ownership).

The current group has ten investors, two of whom don't want to show their names. My research (which includes Sarver's other investments in Arizona and California) is attached.

That led me to send a letter to each of the seven other known investors (also attached), challenging them to use their 70% authority and remove Robert Sarver as Managing General Partner. I've already posted (a few times :) ) what I say in the letter.

There is nothing to lose to let investors read what fans feel. I feel like Don Quixote, the Man of La Mancha, putting on armor and dueling windmills. But it makes me feel a little better.

Go, Suns Legacy Partners, LLC.

Attachments

• Suns Owners.docx
    14.9 KB · Views: 6
  • SunsLetterBody.docx
    12.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Motivated by those of you who have now been expressing what a dunderhead Robert Sarver is, I researched all I could find about the Suns ownership group. They have been called Suns Legacy Partners, LLC from the start. And that is the group that Jerry (with his 16% ownership) sold to Sarver (and his 30% ownership).

The current group has ten investors, two of whom don't want to show their names. My research (which includes Sarver's other investments in Arizona and California) is attached.

That led me to send a letter to each of the seven other known investors (also attached), challenging them to use their 70% authority and remove Robert Sarver as Managing General Partner. I've already posted (a few times :) ) what I say in the letter.

There is nothing to lose to let investors read what fans feel. I feel like Don Quixote, the Man of La Mancha, putting on armor and dueling windmills. But it makes me feel a little better.

Go, Suns Legacy Partners, LLC.

I like the idea you have but I think the letter could be better. I say that because I've seen you post better takes in posts here. It's very brief, which I understand, but it's lacking something. You mention the Suns history, which makes sense, but I think you should focus more on Sarver's time as owner. He's owned the team for 14 seasons now and in those 14 years he's been the owner the Suns have done a complete 180. They went from the top of the NBA to the bottom, literally. In his first year as owner in 2004-05, the Suns had the best record in the NBA and tied a franchise record for the most regular season wins. This last season they finished with the worst record in the NBA and had the worst record in 49 years, only being better than their inaugural season back in 1968-69.

Other than I really like the idea of writing the other partners letter. I believe you're sending physical letters rather than emails, which is a nice touch. Emails can be quickly disregarded while I the physical letters should make it to their desk at the least. Maybe it doesn't do anything but I do give you credit for trying. A lot of fans complain here, there, and everywhere and at least you're taking action of sorts. For that, I commend your effort.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like the idea you have but I think the letter could be better. I say that because I've seen you post better takes in posts here. It's very brief, which I understand, but it's lacking something. You mention the Suns history, which makes sense, but I think you should focus more on Sarver's time as owner. He's owned the team for 14 seasons now and in those 14 years he's been the owner the Suns have done a complete 180. They went from the top of the NBA to the bottom, literally. In his first year as owner in 2004-05, the Suns had the best record in the NBA and tied a franchise record for the most regular season wins. This last season they finished with the worst record in the NBA and had the worst record in 49 years, only being better than their inaugural season back in 1968-69.

Other than I really like the idea of writing the other partners letter. I believe you're sending physical letters rather than emails, which is a nice touch. Emails can be quickly disregarded while I the physical letters should make it to their desk at the least. Maybe it doesn't do anything but I do give you credit for trying. A lot of fans complain here, there, and everywhere and at least you're taking action of sorts. For that, I commend your effort.
Thanks. I appreciate your support. Regarding details of the disappointments under Sarver, I wanted it to fit on one page to make it easy to read. Citing that ESPN named Sarver the worst owner in the NBA and giving a few examples of his incompetency will hopefully make it a topic among the rest of the owners.

Sarver assembled the ownership group and I can understand loyalty to him. If the other nine investors follow the Suns at all, they know what's going on and might consider a 'mutiny'. If they don't, they'll care only about their profits but at least know that they're not pleasing many of their fans.

I wonder if the letters will ever reach them or if a clerk at the Talking Stick Arena office will see seven identical envelopes, open them, read them and chuck them into the circular file.

I am considering forwarding copies to Valley sportswriters. I wonder if any of our posters have an 'in' with any of them, to make a fan's reaction more available than a letter to the editor at AzCentral/AzRepublic.com. Or even reach one of the owners themselves.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate your support. Regarding details of the disappointments under Sarver, I wanted it to fit on one page to make it easy to read. Citing that ESPN named Sarver the worst owner in the NBA and giving a few examples of his incompetency will hopefully make it a topic among the rest of the owners.

Sarver assembled the ownership group and I can understand loyalty to him. If the other nine investors follow the Suns at all, they know what's going on and might consider a 'mutiny'. If they don't, they'll care only about their profits but at least know that they're not pleasing many of their fans.

I wonder if the letters will ever reach them or if a clerk at the Talking Stick Arena office will see seven identical envelopes, open them, read them and chuck them into the circular file.

I am considering forwarding copies to Valley sportswriters. I wonder if any of our posters have an 'in' with any of them, to make a fan's reaction more available than a letter to the editor at AzCentral/AzRepublic.com. Or even reach one of the owners themselves.
I don't know if you remember Gaddabout, but he used to work at the Republic I believe. Haven't seen him around for a long time though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you remember Gaddabout, but he used to work at the Republic I believe. Haven't seen him around for a long time though.

I miss Gaddabout. Wonder what happened to him?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
TheGreenMachine writes for arizonasports.com too, I think, though he hasn't been seen on this board in ages either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaddabout stopped using that name and went by Matt Self for the last couple of years here. I know there's a few posters on this site that have stayed in contact with him after he remarried and became too busy for this stuff, perhaps they can fill in the gaps on him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some information on the Suns coaching search. It looks like Kidd is out of the running.

The Suns interviewed San Antonio Spurs assistant James Borrego on Thursday and former Charlotte Hornets head coach Steve Clifford Friday, 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s John Gambadoro confirmed.

The two coaches join Suns interim head coach Jay Triano and former Memphis Grizzlies head coach David Fizdale as the reported names to have in-person interviews. Former Atlanta Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer met with the team for two days but removed himself from consideration for the job.

According to Gambadoro, former Milwaukee Bucks head coach Jason Kidd was informed Friday he will not be involved in the team’s search going forward.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1512...view-clifford-spurs-assistant-borrego-search/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kidd definitely out according to Gambo.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to a Steve Clifford interview on the Woj Pod where he discussed coaching, the game, and his philosophies. I didn't realize he is part of the Van Gundy coaching tree.

Here's a link for those interested. He talked about how the game has changed and how coaches have had to change. He also discussed his time in Charlotte and Kemba.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to a Steve Clifford interview on the Woj Pod where he discussed coaching, the game, and his philosophies. I didn't realize he is part of the Van Gundy coaching tree.

Here's a link for those interested. He talked about how the game has changed and how coaches have had to change. He also discussed his time in Charlotte and Kemba.

Did he talk about his health issues that kept him off the bench half of last season? That's one of the main reasons I don't want to see him brought on. Hiring a coach that can't make the majority of the games would be a bad move. In that case they may as well keep Triano to cover the games that Clifford will miss or cut out the middle man and keep Triano altogether. No thanks to Clifford. He didn't do anything special in Charlotte to consider him anyways.

If Clifford were hired I could see the Suns going hard after Kemba but I'm not sure that's the right move at this point in time either.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did he talk about his health issues that kept him off the bench half of last season? That's one of the main reasons I don't want to see him brought on. Hiring a coach that can't make the majority of the games would be a bad move. In that case they may as well keep Triano to cover the games that Clifford will miss or cut out the middle man and keep Triano altogether. No thanks to Clifford. He didn't do anything special in Charlotte to consider him anyways.

If Clifford were hired I could see the Suns going hard after Kemba but I'm not sure that's the right move at this point in time either.

He mentioned the health problems briefly but only in context of the affect it had on his team. He talked about it like it was a past issue and didn't seem concerned about it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Thanks Jay for doing your best in a truly horrible place that you were put into.
Of course we thank Jay Triano for doing his best with a dysfunctional Front Office, where the GM functions as Assistant General Manager. But then, Jay's title was Interim.

'Glad we're moving on. Now we wait to see in which direction.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to a Scott Bordow and Katherine Fitzgerald article at azcentral. I do not see Igor or Fizdale mentioned.

At least four other candidates spoke with the Suns last week. Former Charlotte Hornets head coach Steve Clifford and San Antonio Spurs assistant coach James Borrego were both in Phoenix for interviews. A league source confirmed Phoenix talked to Toronto Raptors assistant Nick Nurse and New Orleans Pelicans associate head coach Chris Finch as well.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...no-no-longer-candidate-nba-coaches/563408002/

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So thus far . . .

Majerle declined an interview

Bud took himself out

Kidd eliminated

Triano eliminated

Fizdale rumored to have taken his name out

Just trying to a running track . . .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm was wanting Igor to be the Suns head coach but since the Suns have expanded their search who knows.

New names have been added to the search such as Raptors assistant Nick Nurse and Pelicans associate head coach Chris Finch.

I do not know if the Suns are not liking who they have interviewed or the reason why they have expanded their search.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm was wanting Igor to be the Suns head coach but since the Suns have expanded their search who knows.

New names have been added to the search such as Raptors assistant Nick Nurse and Pelicans associate head coach Chris Finch.

I do not know if the Suns are not liking who they have interviewed or the reason why they have expanded their search.

I'm not sure they have. The Front Office has been very quiet, the leaked names are coming from elsewhere and for all we know, they might all have been on the list from the beginning. But I'm with you on Igor, he's my choice too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they have. The Front Office has been very quiet, the leaked names are coming from elsewhere and for all we know, they might all have been on the list from the beginning. But I'm with you on Igor, he's my choice too.

You may well be right. Since I have not seen these two names before, Nurse and Finch, I thought the search might have expanded.

What worries me is I have mot heard mention of Igor lately.

The Jazz are doing a fantastic job this season and a lot of it is coaching. Hats off to Quin Synder and company who are largely lead by rookie guard Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.

I see the Jazz lost to the Rockets tonight.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may well be right. Since I have not seen these two names before, Nurse and Finch, I thought the search might have expanded.

What worries me is I have mot heard mention of Igor lately.

The Jazz are doing a fantastic job this season and a lot of it is coaching. Hats off to Quin Synder and company who are largely lead by rookie guard Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.

I see the Jazz lost to the Rockets tonight.

Yeah, it's quite possible they added names as they went but Ryan said back in March that they'd throw a very wide net for possible candidates. And I'd be surprised if Igor wasn't included in the second round unless he declined interest during their preliminary phone interview. Although that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard