Changes for Next Season?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, the only player on the roster over 6'8" that can play NBA minutes is Ayton. We desperately need quality size, especially if the Lakers sign Dwight Howard and the Nuggets re-sign JaVale McGee.

I don't disagree but I have heard several times Cam Johnson referred to as 6'9."

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't disagree but I have heard several times Cam Johnson referred to as 6'9."

6'8", and with not particularly long arms.

Not that it really matters. We need more rotation guys who are at least 6'10" if we are to be able to match up with the likes of the Bucks, Nets, Sixers, Lakers, Clippers (with Ibaka returning) and Nuggets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6'8", and with not particularly long arms.

Not that it really matters. We need more rotation guys who are at least 6'10" if we are to be able to match up with the likes of the Bucks, Nets, Sixers, Lakers, Clippers (with Ibaka returning) and Nuggets.

I know the official measurement but I've heard Cam Johnson being referred to as 6'9." It's always made me wonder.

Yeah, Suns definitely need size although Daniel Theis plays bigger than his 6'8" height.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know the official measurement but I've heard Cam Johnson being referred to as 6'9." It's always made me wonder.

Yeah, Suns definitely need size although Daniel Theis plays bigger than his 6'8" height.

Not really. It's a big reason Boston never made the NBA Finals and why they were desperate enough to bring in an over the hill Al Horford, as well as Tristan Thompson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. It's a big reason Boston never made the NBA Finals and why they were desperate enough to bring in an over the hill Al Horford, as well as Tristan Thompson.

I've always noticed when Daniel Theis was on the floor for the Celtics and in a good way. He brings energy and effort.

I'm not looking for a player to carry a team. I'm looking for a backup 4/5 that can help the Suns bench. If the Suns can get him for the BAE that would be outstanding.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've always noticed when Daniel Theis was on the floor for the Celtics and in a good way. He brings energy and effort.

I'm not looking for a player to carry a team. I'm looking for a backup 4/5 that can help the Suns bench. If the Suns can get him for the BAE that would be outstanding.

For the BAE? Sure. But only if they get someone with real size with their MLE.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What are you talking about, Boston had Horford while he was good and didn't make the finals. He has been gone for 2 seasons. They didn't miss the finals because they didn't have him in 2019 and they had Tristan Thompson this year, someone you were upset we didn't trade for somehow.

They didn't add Horford again to improve much either, they wanted out from under Kemba's contract and swapping those deals got them under the tax threshold.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How about we sign Portis and Theis, then we add some role players upfront for depth. I don't think there would be any critics of those two moves.

Sign me up for that. At the same time, don't get your hopes up. James Jones seems obsessed with outside shooting and playing wings at small forward and center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign me up for that. At the same time, don't get your hopes up. James Jones seems obsessed with outside shooting and playing wings at small forward and center.

That would be like a dream scenario plus keeping Cam Payne.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul 3 years 90 million and we are looking at Dougie McBuckets From twitter

I actually really like McDermitt. But what are we doing for a big, which we need a lot more than another wing.

Knowing Jones, he probably considers him a big.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I actually really like McDermitt. But what are we doing for a big, which we need a lot more than another wing.

Knowing Jones, he probably considers him a big.

That is precisely my concern. If he does, we're screwed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn’t you say we were screwed last off-season as well?

Yes. I was wrong.

This time around, however, the need in the front court is obvious, and we don't even have Saric as a stretch 5.

Name the last NBA team that had any measure of success with one center and nothing else but wings and guards in its rotation.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Yes. I was wrong.

This time around, however, the need in the front court is obvious, and we don't even have Saric as a stretch 5.

Name the last NBA team that had any measure of success with one center and nothing else but wings and guards in its rotation.

But there is pretty much zero chance that the Suns will go in to next season with one center and nothing else but wings and guards. Yet you are putting that out there in multiple posts and dominating the threads with it.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I was wrong.

The Warriors had Bogut for a minute then replaced him with McGee. They won a few titles. Draymond is only a modern big, similar to Jae Crowder. I know they have different skillsets but they're similar builds and both play PF in today's league, with Draymond playing a lot of small ball C.

Give it a rest. Jones said he knows we need size, you haven't even allowed him to address that as free agency starts Monday.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Warriors had Bogut for a minute then replaced him with McGee. They won a few titles. Draymond is only a modern big, similar to Jae Crowder. I know they have different skillsets but they're similar builds and both play PF in today's league, with Draymond playing a lot of small ball C.

Give it a rest. Jones said he knows we need size, you haven't even allowed him to address that as free agency starts Monday.

Take a look at those Warriors rosters. You should notice names like David Lee, Marreese Speights, Anderson Varejao, David West, Zaza Pachulia, Kevon Looney and Chris Boucher, not to mention Kevin Durant, to go along with Bogut, McGee and Green.

While the focus with the Warriors was arguably the greatest backcourt of all time (something the Suns don't have, as good as the Booker and CP3 pairing is), the Warriors never lacked for size except when they unluckily were hit badly with the injury bug. They never went into a single season with JUST Green and either Bogut or McGee. In fact, many of their rosters were actually TOO front court heavy.

That being said, I am clinging to hope that James Jones, like Sarver, recognizes that our primary need is quality size up front that can provide rebounding, rim protection and interior defense, and that he will actually get quality size to fill it. However, the facts that this need was every bit as obvious the last two years and James Jones ignored it (or did far too little to fill it while bringing in an unnecessary surplus of guards and wings), combined with the only free agent name presently connected to the Suns being a one-dimensional outside shooting wing, have me very nervous heading into this free agency period.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Take a look at those Warriors rosters. You should notice names like David Lee, Marreese Speights, Anderson Varejao, David West, Zaza Pachulia, Kevon Looney and Chris Boucher, not to mention Kevin Durant, to go along with Bogut, McGee and Green.

While the focus with the Warriors was arguably the greatest backcourt of all time (something the Suns don't have, as good as the Booker and CP3 pairing is), the Warriors never lacked for size except when they unluckily were hit badly with the injury bug. They never went into a single season with JUST Green and either Bogut or McGee. In fact, many of their rosters were actually TOO front court heavy.

That being said, I am clinging to hope that James Jones, like Sarver, recognizes that our primary need is quality size up front that can provide rebounding, rim protection and interior defense, and that he will actually get quality size to fill it. However, the facts that this need was every bit as obvious the last two years and James Jones ignored it (or did far too little to fill it while bringing in an unnecessary surplus of guards and wings), combined with the only free agent name presently connected to the Suns being a one-dimensional outside shooting wing, have me very nervous heading into this free agency period.
I have to agree, 4 guards is fine for the regular season.
We all saw what happened in the playoffs, we got worked because they finally figured out that we couldn't bang. Giannis had his way because he got aggressive and DA got scared. Dario getting hurt is what killed us, he could have stood in front of Giannis, Frank and DA just wouldn't.
We need a power forward that's a man. Someone whos not afraid of the damn rim. Someone that's an actual POWER FORWARD not just a bigger than average shooting guard.
Someone that can go to battle WITH DA and back his @ss up when **** gets rough. Also a decent backup center shouldn't be hard to find.
If we don't address this situation with a legit player at that spot we will never win the "Larry".

I'm sorry to say last season was our best chance.
Without talented size on our roster the "other side of hard" gets a lot farther away, especially since we might be playing healthy teams this year in the playoffs.

James Jones knew we needed size last year too. I like Stix and that pick but he's still at the very least a year away from even thinking about playing garbage mins.

Last edited:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
A lot of jabs at James Jones for whatever reason. The dude did just help construct the team that was 2 wins from a title and went a long way towards getting this franchise back to respectability. Were we undersized in the Finals? Yes, but we also ran into the literal definition of a freak in Giannis. Let the guy act before you jump on him.

He’s done more than enough to change my original view of him. I was wrong about drafting Cam. I was wrong about trading TJ Warren. I was wrong about trading Rubio and Oubre for CP. He brought in respectable vets like Jae and quality guys like Moore while dumping toxicity like Josh Jackson. He obviously took input from Monty to bring in Cam Payne out of obscurity. Hell, he hired Monty.

He’s not batting 1.000 but at this point this organization is as solid as it has been since Sarver took ownership when you think of stability from top to bottom. And he’s respected around the league by players all over.

Let him do his job. Let’s see what he comes up with.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, going by James Jones' own "3 by 5" comment, the roster should have 6 guards, 3 wings and 6 big men, or at least 5 of each, if you can accept a hybrid 2/3 and a hybrid 3/4 on the roster.

Instead, even before Saric went down, the roster had 6 guards, 5 wings and 4 big men (two of whom were pretty much useless in Kaminsky and Stix).

Losing Saric and adding guards and wings isn't going to help alleviate that imbalance.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, going by James Jones' own "3 by 5" comment, the roster should have 6 guards, 3 wings and 6 big men.

Instead, even before Saric went down, the roster had 6 guards, 5 wings and 4 big men (two of whom were pretty much useless in Kaminsky and Stix).

Losing Saric and adding guards and wings isn't going to help alleviate that imbalance.
Who in the NBA has 6 big men that do not spend time at the wings?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like a roster with a lot of versatility. No doubt the Suns needed more size last season. I like the idea of being three deep at every position but I think it counts if players can play the 5, 4/5. 3/4, 2/3 and 1/2. It not only helps in case of injury but switching on defense as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ignored it? What is Saric? A guard? And Kaminsky? Those two guys are every bit quality bigs as any on your Warriors list.

Durant is not a big. He is a 7 foot wing. He is not a rim protector or even a rebounder much. To put him on the list as a big is a stretch.

Yes we need a big with Saric injured. But get a grip on historical facts. We all have brains.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are going to have their plate full starting at 3 p.m. today negotiating with Chris Paul, Cam Payne. Also other priority free agents should be at the top of the list.

I still remember when the Suns swooped in and signed Tom Chambers as the first free agent. Rules have changed but hopefully the Suns are active early with other key targets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose