Changes for Next Season?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minus Crowder at the 4, which really could use improving. Crowder's best role is as an energy guy off the bench.

I'm good with Crowder starting. It's the lack of 4/5 depth that hurt the Suns the most. Also the Suns need to plan for Paul to have down time hence my clamoring for a third point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all they add are Dedmon and McDermott, they might be staying home come postseason time, anyway.
Barring serious injury or CP falling off a cliff, that's pretty insane - right up there with most of your end of the world predictions from last season.

If we add those 2 guys and re-sign the PGs, there is no reason we shouldn't be a playoff team unless you're suggesting all the Western contenders are going to improve considerably. On paper, the team we're talking about is at least as good as the team we fielded last season especially when you factor in player growth.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minus Crowder at the 4, which really could use improving. Crowder's best role is as an energy guy off the bench.

Crowder has been the starting PF on 2 of the 4 teams that made the finals the last 2 years. His best role is starting PF whether you like it or not. History proves that.

I don't care that he's part of the losing side either. Look across at the other side and its the best 2 PF's in the league that are generational talents.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm good with Crowder starting. It's the lack of 4/5 depth that hurt the Suns the most. Also the Suns need to plan for Paul to have down time hence my clamoring for a third point guard.
I think JJ is content with our depth at 4, it's the backup 5 that's the real issue. With Crowder starting and Cameron backing him up, we don't have a lot of minutes for another power forward. The fact that they are both undersized for that position makes our need for a quality backup 5 even more apparent.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention Torrey Craig. If we sign him that's another guy along with the rumored McDermott that can spend time at the 4 alongside a true big man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only throwing out a few of examples but add Enes Kanter, Daniel Theis, Trey Lyles, Corey Joseph and minimum players the Suns are cooking.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think JJ is content with our depth at 4, it's the backup 5 that's the real issue. With Crowder starting and Cameron backing him up, we don't have a lot of minutes for another power forward. The fact that they are both undersized for that position makes our need for a quality backup 5 even more apparent.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone mention Torrey Craig. If we sign him that's another guy along with the rumored McDermott that can spend time at the 4 alongside a true big man.

I think we'll probably end up with Nader or Craig, whichever is cheaper. They'd be our 5th forward. They're similar in that play bigger than they are, can hit 3's, pesky defenders, and capable rebounders. Of course Craig is better at some of those than Nader and Nader better than Craig at others. I don't see us keeping both.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like to keep Craig or even Nader for the minimum. I guess I'm missing all the McDermott talk except on this forum.

The Suns really need only about three pieces plus minimum type players. They were very close last season even with Saric not playing well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Craig or even Nader for the minimum. I guess I'm missing all the McDermott talk except on this forum.

The Suns really need only about three pieces plus minimum type players. They were very close last season even with Saric not playing well.
I don't know where the McDermott talk started but I'm pretty sure it came from outside this site. It's so strange that I figure either the agent released it to start some buzz or it really has wings.

And if it has wings, and considering how great our big man need is, I've also wondered if signing McDermott would be to replace Mikal after we've used him to acquire a legitimate big man. Pure speculation on my part and on the surface, I hate the idea of it. But I also trust Jones so I'm torn if by some chance we actually go this direction.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only throwing out a few of examples but add Enes Kanter, Daniel Theis, Trey Lyles, Corey Joseph and minimum players the Suns are cooking.
I like his stance on human rights violations but his history suggest he's likely to cause more locker room strife than most teams can deal with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the McDermott talk started but I'm pretty sure it came from outside this site. It's so strange that I figure either the agent released it to start some buzz or it really has wings.

And if it has wings, and considering how great our big man need is, I've also wondered if signing McDermott would be to replace Mikal after we've used him to acquire a legitimate big man. Pure speculation on my part and on the surface, I hate the idea of it. But I also trust Jones so I'm torn if by some chance we actually go this direction.

Talking about trading Bridges has been mostly taboo on the forum but he does have that big extension coming up which could impact the Suns thinking.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like his stance on human rights violations but his history suggest he's likely to cause more locker room strife than most teams can deal with.

Substitutions are allowed. I'm not locked onto any player but I like Theis more every time I talk about him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Substitutions are allowed. I'm not locked onto any player but I like Theis more every time I talk about him.
I thought I read he was going to the Rockets? I really don't know much about him though, he didn't usually stand out in the games I've watched (to my recollection at least).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but I think the Suns are a preferred destination now. Two years ago, I would have agreed with your assessment, but I really think players want to play in Phoenix now.

I mean preferred over some destinations, but I don't think we are top of the list by any means. Probably in the 5-10 range for most players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was wondering the same thing - but it just doesn't seem quite right. What kind of deal could it possibly be? Oh no, I just had an awful thought what if it's some kind of a deal for Simmons, and Jones wants him as our PF.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I read he was going to the Rockets? I really don't know much about him though, he didn't usually stand out in the games I've watched (to my recollection at least).

Theis is one of those lunch pail type players that works hard, brings it every night and can play the 4/5. Now that I say the words, sort of like Saric.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was wondering the same thing - but it just doesn't seem quite right. What kind of deal could it possibly be? Oh no, I just had an awful thought what if it's some kind of a deal for Simmons, and Jones wants him as our PF.

I found a reference to Doug McDermott in an Evan Sidery tweet. Maybe it started here?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

One of the reasons I could see us dealing Mikal is to avoid paying an exorbitant salary outside of our big 3. Simmons salary is definitely exorbitant. Plus I think James Jones values shooting way too much to bring in someone scared to shoot.

That is frightening though and made me take a second to remind myself JJ isn't Ryan McD. I could see McD do that.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Talking about trading Bridges has been mostly taboo on the forum but he does have that big extension coming up which could impact the Suns thinking.
Suns wouldn't get much (outside of future draft picks) in return for him this year as he only makes $5.5mil and as we are over the cap would only be able to get a return player(s) making $6.05mil max.

However, packaging him with Saric would give us $14mil out and up to $15.4 incoming player(s) in return.

Nonetheless, the ONLY reason to even think of trading him or Cam Johnson is to get a superstar in return because of what they provide to our team

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns wouldn't get much (outside of future draft picks) in return for him this year as he only makes $5.5mil and as we are over the cap would only be able to get a return player(s) making $6.05mil max.

However, packaging him with Saric would give us $14mil out and up to $15.4 incoming player(s) in return.

Nonetheless, the ONLY reason to even think of trading him or Cam Johnson is to get a superstar in return because of what they provide to our team

I don't think trading Bridges or Johnson is going to fetch a star. It would be more like the Suns acquiring assets because they don't want to give him an extension.

If the Suns decided to trade Bridges the trade deadline might be a more a realistic time plus they get to see if his game has taken the next step.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I don't think trading Bridges or Johnson is going to fetch a star. It would be more like the Suns acquiring assets because they don't want to give him an extension.

If the Suns decided to trade Bridges the trade deadline might be a more a realistic time plus they get to see if his game has taken the next step.
I never said they would get a star, I think you don't think about trading either u less you can get a star because they are both pivotal and have made great strides every year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said they would get a star, I think you don't think about trading either u less you can get a star because they are both pivotal and have made great strides every year.

It's amazing to see Bridges shot .425 from three this past season. It didn't feel like it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

but the reality is we aren’t going to able to afford everybody.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes. I was wrong.

This time around, however, the need in the front court is obvious, and we don't even have Saric as a stretch 5.

Name the last NBA team that had any measure of success with one center and nothing else but wings and guards in its rotation.
2020-2021 Suns