Changes for Next Season?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we sign Paul last and go over? I forget how it works. Or maybe backload his contract?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Why use the MLE on a fourth small forward instead of bringing in a much needed big? I like McGee, but in this scenario they need to double down and use the MLE on a 4 or 5.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why use the MLE on a fourth small forward instead of bringing in a much needed big? I like McGee, but in this scenario they need to double down and use the MLE on a 4 or 5.
I'd throw the most if not all of the MLE at Noel. His shot blocking, rebounding, and his diving off screens would be perfect for the 2nd unit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd throw the most if not all of the MLE at Noel. His shot blocking, rebounding, and his diving off screens would be perfect for the 2nd unit.

And he had RJ Barrett and Elfrid Payton passing (or not passing) him the ball. Imagine him with CP3...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Noel and Portis are my top two targets for the MLE.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And he had RJ Barrett and Elfrid Payton passing (or not passing) him the ball. Imagine him with CP3...

I think he's better in the screen and roll game than Ayton. Noel rolls with a purpose and forces the defense to commit to him or get dunked on while Ayton floats too often and allows the defender to sag off the ball to prevent the lob but still provide help on the ball. Ayton still needs to work on his spacial awareness and offensive IQ in that way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think he's better in the screen and roll game than Ayton. Noel rolls with a purpose and forces the defense to commit to him or get dunked on while Ayton floats too often and allows the defender sag off the ball to prevent the lob but still provide help on the ball. Ayton still needs to work on his spacial awareness and offensive IQ in that way.
And what better way to work on it than to practice against a guy who's really good at it?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Noel and Portis are my top two targets for the MLE.

I'm not as high on Portis as others. If we strike out on Noel, I like McGee as a cheap alternative. I like Zeller if we want a different look at the 5 than Ayton for our 2nd unit. Kind of a bigger and more skilled/athletic Kaminsky with less shooting.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They were together on OKC as you know, so hopefully that connection helps us net him. I've read that Noel was fond of CP3.

Noel is the big we need. Get it done JJ! Got to seize the day with our limited window.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not as high on Portis as others. If we strike out on Noel, I like McGee as a cheap alternative. I like Zeller if we want a different look at the 5 than Ayton for our 2nd unit. Kind of a bigger and more skilled/athletic Kaminsky with less shooting.

We need defense, rebounding and toughness. Zeller provides none of those. If we can't get Noel or Portis, I would look at Whiteside or McGee plus someone at the 4 like Millsap.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need defense, rebounding and toughness. Zeller provides none of those. If we can't get Noel or Portis, I would look at Whiteside or McGee plus someone at the 4 like Millsap.

Zeller is not optimal, but he is an improvement over an injured Saric and Frank. I think Millsap is close to washed. Jeff Green could be okay and played well for Brooklyn last year.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hell to the no on McDermott but Noel would be a home run bench signing. He could probably start for some clubs. I’d put my money on Theis then hope Jalen Smith can give us anything productive.

Bench:
Payne
Shamet
Cam
Nader (more likely to come back for the minimum than Craig)
Smith
Theis

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hell to the no on McDermott but Noel would be a home run bench signing. He could probably start for some clubs. I’d put my money on Theis then hope Jalen Smith can give us anything productive.

Bench:
Payne
Shamet
Cam
Nader (more likely to come back for the minimum than Craig)
Smith
Theis

That team would struggle just to make the playoffs. The Suns need to replace Saric with someone better than Saric (and Thies is not, I'm afraid) in order to remain competitive in the West AND they need an additional serviceable big on top of that (Theis could qualify here) in order to have a shot at a run like last season.

Remember how horrible the Suns looked for the better part of the last 4 games of the NBA Finals, as well as for the short part of the first round where Anthony Davis was healthy. Yes, a part of that was CP3's injury situation, but a big part of that was also the Suns' extreme lack of size, strength and toughness up front.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We don't even have to imagine it. They played together in OKC a season ago, and Noel had an insane true shooting percentage.
I think if the Suns offer the right amount and CP3 makes a phone call, Noel will be in Phoenix next season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We don't even have to imagine it. They played together in OKC a season ago, and Noel had an insane true shooting percentage.
I think if the Suns offer the right amount and CP3 makes a phone call, Noel will be in Phoenix next season.

Bring him in, bring in pretty much any other serviceable big (though preferably one who can play the 4 at least some of the time), re-sign CP3 and Payne, fill out the roster with good character guys who can play spot minutes here and there or be an injury replacement in a pinch, and I think we are ready to roll...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he's better in the screen and roll game than Ayton. Noel rolls with a purpose and forces the defense to commit to him or get dunked on while Ayton floats too often and allows the defender to sag off the ball to prevent the lob but still provide help on the ball. Ayton still needs to work on his spacial awareness and offensive IQ in that way.

let’s be realistic here. There is not one thing Noel does better than Ayton. This is getting ridiculous.

I would love Noel he’s big and athletic but let’s be real here he averaged 5 points and 6 boards last year.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
let’s be realistic here. There is not one thing Noel does better than Ayton. This is getting ridiculous.

I would love Noel he’s big and athletic but let’s be real here he averaged 5 points and 6 boards last year.

I would challenge that statement. He is absolutely a better shot-blocker, and he rolls to the basket better than Ayton. He doesn't have Ayton's size, he doesn't defend the perimeter as well, he has no jumper, he doesn't have any low-post moves, and probably trails Ayton in ten other categories, but he blocks shots and he rolls to the basket better than Ayton right now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeller is not optimal, but he is an improvement over an injured Saric and Frank. I think Millsap is close to washed. Jeff Green could be okay and played well for Brooklyn last year.
Actually I think Zeller is a good choice if we can afford him. My short list, in order, would be Noel, Holmes, Harrell, Zeller and then McGee followed by Cauley-Stein. I doubt we can afford any of the first 4 but maybe there's not as much free money out there now as there was when backup role player bigs were being offered 15 million or more per year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would challenge that statement. He is absolutely a better shot-blocker, and he rolls to the basket better than Ayton. He doesn't have Ayton's size, he doesn't defend the perimeter as well, he has no jumper, he doesn't have any low-post moves, and probably trails Ayton in ten other categories, but he blocks shots and he rolls to the basket better than Ayton right now.

you are correct Noel finished 3rd in blocks this year.

like I said I would love to have him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Noel has great feet and he’s been durable for 3 straight years. I’d feel comfortable giving him the MLE. I’m guessing CP would vouch for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noel has great feet and he’s been durable for 3 straight years. I’d feel comfortable giving him the MLE. I’m guessing CP would vouch for him.
My concern about Noel, besides the injury risks, is that he has always been in search of a huge payday. I'd love to have him, I'm not sure he's going to feel the same way given our limited space and the fact we aren't likely to overspend as much as some franchises will.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to know the cost of some of the big men but some of the centers I like for the MLE are Nerlens Noel, Bobby Portis and Richaun Holmes.

Hopefully some lower priced F/Cs are Robin Lopez, Daniel Theis, Enes Kanter, Toney Bradley, Isaiah Hartenstein and Frank Kaminsky.

The key thing as I see it is to have quality depth that can play because the Suns rotation players were solid last season. As James Jones said, the goal is to have at least three deep at every position.

I continue to see a need for a third point guard behind Paul and Payne if he re-signed. Moore, Carter and Galloway did not fill that role at least to Monty's satisfaction.

Mostly I see Shamet as a backup to Booker who like Devin has passing skills.

I'd like for the Suns to be able to keep at least one of Torrey Craig or Abdel Nader.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My concern about Noel, besides the injury risks, is that he has always been in search of a huge payday. I'd love to have him, I'm not sure he's going to feel the same way given our limited space and the fact we aren't likely to overspend as much as some franchises will.
But he’s a guy who scored 5pts and 6rebs per game last season in his 9th season in 24mins per game. No one is giving him a big contract. He blew it years ago when he turned down that big contract. If gets $7-9/year now he’s maximized his value imo.