Changes for Next Season?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Resign Paul, Payne, and a big and they are pretty much done.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are going to have their plate full starting at 3 p.m. today negotiating with Chris Paul, Cam Payne. Also other priority free agents should be at the top of the list.

I still remember when the Suns swooped in and signed Tom Chambers as the first free agent. Rules have changed but hopefully the Suns are active early with other key targets.

I think the negotiations are done. Paul for sure but Payne might want to see what he can’t get from another team and if someone is willing to drop 20 a year on him good for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the negotiations are done. Paul for sure but Payne might want to see what he can’t get from another team and if someone is willing to drop 20 a year on him good for him.

I think you are right about Paul but hopefully the Suns have a feel want about what Payne wants. The Suns can't chase huge offers for him when that money can be spent elsewhere. I definitely want Payne back but he is not a starter. There are backup point guards to found if negotiations are not dragged out.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that would be a massive failure imo
Why? It's not like we had a lot to work with and we addressed all our needs - nowhere near perfectly by any means but it should be more than enough to keep us among the upper echelon until the midseason comes where we can hopefully improve at the backup 5.

We can't afford any of the high priority bigs unless we part ways with CP and if we do that, we have less need for any of the high priority bigs since we'll likely be staying home come postseason time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add one player that can consistely him the open three. Shamet should help but I'd like to add a player like Georges Niang for the minimum salary.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dedmon? If they really wanted him they would have signed him during the season. He’s been out of the league a year.
We don't really want him, we're desperate. We have limited options and we NEED to fill that position the best we can. I'm sure we'll jump at the chance to get a Noel or Holmes or Zeller but other teams have more to work with then we do and are pursuing them too.

Maybe it won't be Dedmon but I suspect it will be someone of similar value. Unless there's a big man that wants to be here so badly he's willing to come for a discount, we are likely limited to the bargain bin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We don't really want him, we're desperate. We have limited options and we NEED to fill that position the best we can. I'm sure we'll jump at the chance to get a Noel or Holmes or Zeller but other teams have more to work with then we do and are pursuing them too.

Maybe it won't be Dedmon but I suspect it will be someone of similar value. Unless there's a big man that wants to be here so badly he's willing to come for a discount, we are likely limited to the bargain bin.
There are better players that are actually still in the league that are fine and are just as gettable.

I didn’t peg you as one of the glass half empty crew Steve.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? It's not like we had a lot to work with and we addressed all our needs - nowhere near perfectly by any means but it should be more than enough to keep us among the upper echelon until the midseason comes where we can hopefully improve at the backup 5.

We can't afford any of the high priority bigs unless we part ways with CP and if we do that, we have less need for any of the high priority bigs since we'll likely be staying home come postseason time.

because he’s bad as in not a good basketball player.

we have zero depth up front we are desperate and he brings nothing to the table but a warm body

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are better players that are actually still in the league that are fine and are just as gettable.

I didn’t peg you as one of the glass half empty crew Steve.
There is nothing half empty in my statement AFAIC. I'm not the one complaining about these actions. I love what we've done and even what we're likely to do this offseason, I simply believe our options are less desirable than some of you do.

Like I said, if we can find a way to get someone much better, I believe we will. But cap-wise we're limited almost as much as last year when the best we could do was sign Damian Jones. And again, as I've said many times, I think we get a better big man when the veteran releases become available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should have the MLE and BAE plus hopefully the money to sign Payne or other backup point guards without using it.

They should be able to sign a couple of quality players and then add minimum salaries.

If the Suns can't get all the players they want it they shouldn't reach.

Leaving a roster spot or two open is not a bad thing. The Suns were able to acquire Torrey Craig this way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because he’s bad as in not a good basketball player.

we have zero depth up front we are desperate and he brings nothing to the table but a warm body
He's certainly not on my desired targets list, I'm just trying to establish the level of player we can likely expect (IMO). But you said the offseason would be a "massive failure" so I thought you were talking about all the moves. I agree that adding Dedmon (or his equivalent) isn't going to help us very much at all, I just don't think we're going to be able to get someone that will.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I see what you are saying, but I think the Suns are a preferred destination now. Two years ago, I would have agreed with your assessment, but I really think players want to play in Phoenix now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's certainly not on my desired targets list, I'm just trying to establish the level of player we can likely expect (IMO). But you said the offseason would be a "massive failure" so I thought you were talking about all the moves. I agree that adding Dedmon (or his equivalent) isn't going to help us very much at all, I just don't think we're going to be able to get someone that will.
I don't understand why you think that our established level of player that we can attract is one that has been out of the league for a year. And I have yet to hear any compelling reasons why you or anyone else thinks we're not going to get anybody that can contribute. It's not like James Jones' track record is against him, AND we are now a winning team that just went to the Finals. But you think we're going to only attract the bottom of the barrel?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but I think the Suns are a preferred destination now. Two years ago, I would have agreed with your assessment, but I really think players want to play in Phoenix now.
I do too. I think we've raised our PR profile considerably, that's why I believe we'll be in the running for veterans released after the midseason trade deadline. But I think most player decisions during the offseason are driven by money (and playing opportunities).

I hope I'm wrong and that we won't have to settle for a Damian Jones or a Dewayne Dedmon, I'm just not sure we'll be able to find a way to move much beyond the barely playable category unless we decide to move someone like Bridges.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you think that our established level of player that we can attract is one that has been out of the league for a year. And I have yet to hear any compelling reasons why you or anyone else thinks we're not going to get anybody that can contribute. It's not like James Jones' track record is against him, AND we are now a winning team that just went to the Finals. But you think we're going to only attract the bottom of the barrel?

First off, he hasn't been "out of the league for a year", he played some last season with the Heat. Secondly, I'm not really talking about "attracting", I'm talking more about affording. As I said in another post, I believe players primarily make money decisions in the offseason. IMO our best opportunity to attract a decent big man will come midway through the season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is clamoring to back up Ayton for 10-15 minutes a game for a minimal salary. We need a veteran willing to sign for cheap and is fine not seeing meaningful minutes. The more I think about it the worse idea blowing the entire MLE on someone like Noel is since someone like him can't play with Ayton and would be earning $800k per minute they average.

Playing a guy that few minutes in that role also makes it hard to deal that contract later. Ayton is 23 and is our future. Its not like someone can hope for an opportunity to shine and earn a big deal while here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

If all they add are Dedmon and McDermott, they might be staying home come postseason time, anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one is clamoring to back up Ayton for 10-15 minutes a game for a minimal salary. We need a veteran willing to sign for cheap and is fine not seeing meaningful minutes. The more I think about it the worse idea blowing the entire MLE on someone like Noel is since someone like him can't play with Ayton and would be earning $800k per minute they average.

Playing a guy that few minutes in that role also makes it hard to deal that contract later. Ayton is 23 and is our future. Its not like someone can hope for an opportunity to shine and earn a big deal while here.

If the MLE can be split it opens up all kinds of options. The Suns starting unit was fine last season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the MLE can be split it opens up all kinds of options. The Suns starting unit was fine last season.
Minus Crowder at the 4, which really could use improving. Crowder's best role is as an energy guy off the bench.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
First off, he hasn't been "out of the league for a year", he played some last season with the Heat. Secondly, I'm not really talking about "attracting", I'm talking more about affording. As I said in another post, I believe players primarily make money decisions in the offseason. IMO our best opportunity to attract a decent big man will come midway through the season.
My mistake, I had no idea he was playing for the Heat. Even played one game in the playoffs. I still don't like him as our backup C signing, especially since we have some options as Mainstreet has pointed out. He might as well be out of the league--he's a good filler on a vet minimum deal, but not someone that will improve the team.