Celtics At Suns Game Thread

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celtics-Suns Preview

By MIKE LIPKA
Posted Dec 29 2009 5:36PM

The short-handed Boston Celtics have already lost more times on their current road trip than they did in their first 14 road games. Avoiding a third straight defeat before they head home won't be easy.
That's because the Phoenix Suns are feeling especially confident after perhaps their most significant win of the season, and they'll try to complete a season sweep of the Celtics on Wednesday night.
An impressive 86-77 win at Orlando on Christmas Day without Paul Pierce improved the Celtics to 13-1 on the road, but they found a pair of unexpected hurdles on the West Coast leg of their trip.
After blowing a three-point lead in the final 10 seconds and losing 92-90 on a buzzer-beater to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday night, the Celtics coughed up a 16-point first-quarter lead in a 103-99 defeat to lowly Golden State on Monday.
"Obviously, (Sunday) was frustrating for us and to get in basically the same situation (Monday) is not good," guard Ray Allen said. "We have to shore it up."
The Celtics (23-7) have certainly been missing Pierce, who is recovering from a knee infection and will not return until Saturday at the earliest.
Rajon Rondo led the way with 30 points and 15 assists while Allen added 24 points, but Boston's bench matched a season low with 15 points against the fast-paced Warriors.
The team's depth may have taken another hit Monday after forward Glen Davis left the game with an ankle injury. His status is unclear.
Boston, accustomed to a defensive style while allowing an NBA-low 91.9 points per game, may face another up-tempo game against the Suns, who lead the league by averaging 109.8 points.
Before facing the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday night, Phoenix (20-12) had lost three of four, including its first two home defeats. But the Suns erased any bad feelings with a 118-103 win over the reigning NBA champions.
"Big win for us definitely," said forward Amare Stoudemire, who had 26 points. "Coming off a couple of tough losses, (Monday) was a big momentum change and a good confidence builder for us."
While Steve Nash had 16 points and 13 assists for his 18th double-double as the Suns topped 115 points for the 13th time, it was Phoenix's play at the other end of the floor that caught coach Alvin Gentry's attention.
Gentry had been upset after the Suns allowed a season-high in points in a 132-127 loss at Golden State on Saturday, but his team held the Lakers to 43.5 percent shooting.
"I thought we played with so much energy and did a great job defensively," Gentry said.
Another key for Phoenix was its bench play, as Jared Dudley had 19 points and seven rebounds to lead a group of reserves that totaled 52 points. Goran Dragic added 14 points while Leandro Barbosa had 11.
"Our bench did about the best job they have done all year," Gentry said.
Jason Richardson led the way with 34 points as the starters carried Phoenix to a 110-103 win at Boston on Nov. 6. The Suns have a chance to return the favor after the Celtics swept the 2008-09 season series.

Go Suns!!!!!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Garnett is a gametime decision, but might not play. Rondo is battling a hamstring issue, and is probably going to play, but there's still some questions about it.

So we may play the Celtics without Pierce, Rondo, Garnett and Glen Davis. Not much of a challenge if that happens.

Dida

Rookie
Reaction score
Garnett or not - doesn't matter at the moment - WTF! I mean, WTF has Amare done before the game, suddenly he is playing like a James/Bryant in the first quarter. 18 points, very good defense, great decisions and awesome drives to the basket - what is going on???

Every night Amare makes you wonder - but tonight I'll take it :)

Right now - bull call on him for his second foul...damn
And could someone please tell Ray Allen to stop chewing his gum with his mouth wide open - it's really annoying :D

Last edited:

Dida

Rookie
Reaction score
Come on - another silly foul...now he will sit out the rest of the quarter...damn that sucks...

at least Lopez is showing some progress again :)

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I don't know what is more surprising....the fact that the Suns just dominated both the Lakers and Celtics back to back and look like a legitimate team or the fact that Channing Frye just went off for 26/10/2

cly2tw

Reaction score
The team goes as Amare goes. For whatever reason, he was going well this game. He drew all the attention of C's defense in the paint, so that JRich got easy cutting paths to convert two Nash passes. Nash has been steady as usual, aside from a little too many tos. LB played controlled. The bench was reliable in this game. In sec. half, Frye exploded with his 3 pts. The rest is history.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts:

Frye is just an excellent fit with Phoenix. The Suns definitely need to re-sign him. He is so much more than expected.

As LB becomes healthy he is again becoming a huge part of the Suns bench. He has really improved his decision making and ball handling skills which makes him even more valuable than in previous seasons.

The Suns should never have let House go. This was a DA mistake and a lot of Suns fans were down on House as well.

Kendick Perkins is a good young center with an attitude. He flat out plays mad which I like in a player.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns should never have let House go.

The only way to justify this position is to figure in House's locker room presence, which is supposedly great. House's on-court performance doesn't justify a roster spot.

Sure, he had a huge game tonight, and he also had some big games for the Suns, particularly early in the season. But if you look at the numbers, you'll see that for every game like the one he had tonight, he has half a dozen stinkers. A player who is more likely to suck than contribute can't be in the rotation on a good team. It's the same problem the Suns had with Barnes last year -- being a good team is all about consistent performance, not spinning slot machine reels.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm putting away my Suns foam finger for the year.

Good job Suns, on beating my most hated team TWICE!!!

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Ok, I'm putting away my Suns foam finger for the year.

Good job Suns, on beating my most hated team TWICE!!!

You should try and keep it on more. After all you have ONE color right, so you're half way there.

Think of the Suns as Lamar Odom. Tons of potential and even flashes of brilliance, but in the end, just an average player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The only way to justify this position is to figure in House's locker room presence, which is supposedly great. House's on-court performance doesn't justify a roster spot.

Sure, he had a huge game tonight, and he also had some big games for the Suns, particularly early in the season. But if you look at the numbers, you'll see that for every game like the one he had tonight, he has half a dozen stinkers. A player who is more likely to suck than contribute can't be in the rotation on a good team. It's the same problem the Suns had with Barnes last year -- being a good team is all about consistent performance, not spinning slot machine reels.

I guess you're right. Boston has it all wrong. :rolleyes:

I never said House was a rotation player.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I guess you're right. Boston has it all wrong. :rolleyes:

I think they have him for chemistry reasons. It was well documented that they were pretty ambivalent about re-signing him. He's had only one other game all season that was as good as last night's.

I never said House was a rotation player.

Then why be upset about his departure? It's not like the Suns are suffering for chemistry in his absence, and they have six or seven players who are better shooters from long range.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should try and keep it on more. After all you have ONE color right, so you're half way there.

Think of the Suns as Lamar Odom. Tons of potential and even flashes of brilliance, but in the end, just an average player.

Who ridiculously gets married to a notorious media ho, then has one of the worst seasons of his career in the aftermath.

Wait....Khloe is to Lamar as Shaqtus is to the Suns...hmm, you are really on to something there, boise!

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Who ridiculously gets married to a notorious media ho, then has one of the worst seasons of his career in the aftermath.

Wait....Khloe is to Lamar as Shaqtus is to the Suns...hmm, you are really on to something there, boise!

The Suns had one of their worst seasons ever last year?

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good win even if it was against a team we should beat if 2 key players were out. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Then why be upset about his departure? It's not like the Suns are suffering for chemistry in his absence, and they have six or seven players who are better shooters from long range.

He was a link to my Sun Devils. :D

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score

I knew it would make sense to you! :)

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
He was a link to my Sun Devils. :D

Yeah. The current Suns is almost a UofA alum club. I attended a Christmas party at the house of an APS vice president a couple of weeks ago, and it turns out, he's a UofA alum. I chided him about it, and I mentioned "no wonder APS is such a big Suns sponsor."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn