Carson Palmer

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What I am wondering is why Palmer was very clear about his desire to return next season, and yet when BA was interviewed recently, he reiterated that the team is waiting to hear whether Carson and Fitz are going to return.

Anyone have a strong sense of what's going on?

After all, Palmer is under contract and has not indicated or even hinted at retiring.

Could it be that the Cardinals have presented Palmer with some conditions about his return which might include having to take a pay cut?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it. I heard the snippet from the interview and I think BA was stating the facts and not having any final determination yet from the 2 players. Don't see much here Mitch.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I doubt it. I heard the snippet from the interview and I think BA was stating the facts and not having any final determination yet from the 2 players. Don't see much here Mitch.

But if Carson Palmer has never hinted at retirement, has said he wants to come back and is under contract, why is it even a question?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if Carson Palmer has never hinted at retirement, has said he wants to come back and is under contract, why is it even a question?

I think a renegotiated contactmay be the key as you said. Probably tack on a year or two and convert base salary this year into a singing bonus. Could probably free up 5-6 million this year.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Your guess/assumption is as good as mine. We shall see.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I am wondering is why Palmer was very clear about his desire to return next season, and yet when BA was interviewed recently, he reiterated that the team is waiting to hear whether Carson and Fitz are going to return.

After all, Palmer is under contract and has not indicated or even hinted at retiring.

Could it be that the Cardinals have presented Palmer with some conditions about his return which might include having to take a pay cut?

Pay cut?

Now there's a way to convince a guy to return.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
What Calais said on the last BRR was that he believes that Fitz & Palmer are "intertwined." In other words, if one retires, they both retire. Money is NOT the issue!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

It's called calling out Fitzgerald without being too direct by including Palmer... in other words, the Cardinals want to let Fitz know to tell them when he can

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Oh and they're both coming back for one last shot... Money be damned. Carson would absolutely take a pay cut if it means a better roster. No regrets!!!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What Calais said on the last BRR was that he believes that Fitz & Palmer are "intertwined." In other words, if one retires, they both retire. Money is NOT the issue!
This.

There's been speculation about Fitz retiring, so that's likely what BA was referring to. My guess is both will be back, but if the Cards falter like they did this year, Fitz may ask to be traded to a contender for one last shot at a ring. I mean he may not come right out and say it publicly, but it could be behind closed doors and a wink-wink agreement with MB.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This.

There's been speculation about Fitz retiring, so that's likely what BA was referring to. My guess is both will be back, but if the Cards falter like they did this year, Fitz may ask to be traded to a contender for one last shot at a ring. I mean he may not come right out and say it publicly, but it could be behind closed doors and a wink-wink agreement with MB.
I thought the same thing when Warner had that final year and $11M left on a contract but surprised us all when he walked away. Hope Fitz doesn't go that same way.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I thought the same thing when Warner had that final year and $11M left on a contract but surprised us all when he walked away. Hope Fitz doesn't go that same way.

Big differences, though...Warner was older, battered, and already had a ring. Fitz is healthy, younger, and still wants a ring...imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Warner's wife wanted him out due to a fear of serious or even partially disabling injury. I think the injury to Boldin combined with the Cards' failure to assemble a reasonable O-line sealed the deal!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh and they're both coming back for one last shot... Money be damned. Carson would absolutely take a pay cut if it means a better roster. No regrets!!!
If Palmer is good with a pay cut then fine but if he insists on that $24M then bye bye. What frustrates me is Palmer was great the last couple of games with a depleted OL and receiving corp. He practically was without DJ the whole STL game but stunk it up when he had everyone healthy at the start of the season.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Palmer is good with a pay cut then fine but if he insists on that $24M then bye bye. What frustrates me is Palmer was great the last couple of games with a depleted OL and receiving corp. He practically was without DJ the whole STL game but stunk it up when he had everyone healthy at the start of the season.
well, the WRs stunk it up too. He was hitting people on the hands constantly and having it get dropped in the first half of the season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember after the Green Bay playoff game Warner coming back out onto the field and waving to all of the crowd that was left. I thought, "Damn, he's going to retire. He's saying 'goodbye'." Sure enough, that's what happened.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Where is the story indicating that the Cards front office is even contemplating approaching him for a pay cut and what comes after bye-bye?

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think they could be hinting at a pay cut for Palmer at least. No question Larry is coming back. I think Palmer would consider a small one yr. pay cut. But signing him for 3 yrs. aint gonna happen. Not when they passed on a younger Campbell extension last off season.

MartinD

Rookie
Reaction score

I think you'd be waving bye-bye to Fitz as well. He's made it clear he wants to contend for a playoff spot. If Palmer wants every penny of his $24M, the Cards will pay it. No Palmer, no playoffs, as easy as that.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score

I don't think he was anywhere near 100% the first part of the year. His arm didn't look nearly as strong, and about half of his balls seemed to float. He wasn't throwing with much zip at the beginning of the season. I wondered if he was still having shoulder problems from the injury he sustained against SD a couple years ago.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that Palmer doesn't want to come back without Fitz coming back so he is waiting on Fitz.