Carmelo suspended 15 games!!!!!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony should have received more of a suspension... And Karl should be singled out as well! Stern wimped out on this one...

Why Karl, Isiah is the one who apparently ordered the hard foul.

There's nothing in the rules against running up the score.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
15 is more than enough - people calling for more need to take a minute and think about it.

And saying 25 is what he needs is ridiculous - that is 30% of the season - AND how many games Oneal got for cheap shotting a FAN

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
15 is more than enough - people calling for more need to take a minute and think about it.

And saying 25 is what he needs is ridiculous - that is 30% of the season - AND how many games Oneal got for cheap shotting a FAN

My point is that the league should be escalating the penalties each time this happens. If guys start losing whole seasons for fighting, cooler heads WILL prevail. You would hold back a lot if you were risking losing $8M....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
My point is that the league should be escalating the penalties each time this happens. If guys start losing whole seasons for fighting, cooler heads WILL prevail. You would hold back a lot if you were risking losing $8M....

No you wouldn't. No one is thinking at the time of a fight, it just emotions taking over.

I love it when people claim that athletes should have a cooler head than a normal man because they have so much more to lose. When you get slammed to the floor, or see one of your friends get slammed you are not going to be thinking about how much money you make...

And making the big suspensions is ridiculous for the league too. It cripples entire franchises to lose players for a year - meaning less money and less fan interaction. Even if you do get the players to stop fighting all together, it takes all the passion away from the game. People will be scared to do anything at all..

I am not condoning fighting, but it isn't something that is a horrible black eye for the league. A brawl like this is, but it doesn't drive a ton of fans away. Let the punishment fit the crime. 3 years ago Carmelo would have gotten 5 games, 15 is more than enough of an escalation in the post Detroit era...

HooverDam

Reaction score
He didnt order dirty fouls...

Oh come on now, lets be realistic. You think its impossible that Isiah didn't order dirty fouls? Isiah was part of the "Jordan Rules"/Bad Boys Pistons teams, this guy is a thug and a-hole of the first degree.

I couldn't agree w/ George Karl more, he wasn't running up the score, the Knicks team that was on the court had cut the lead down significantly. Karl has seen his team blow leads, as well as teams like the Suns blow big leads, he didn't feel the lead was safe. Thats NO reason to foul someone like that.

I really hate Isiah Thomas, I'd like to see Kobe take him in the Octagon!

I love it when people claim that athletes should have a cooler head than a normal man because they have so much more to lose. When you get slammed to the floor, or see one of your friends get slammed you are not going to be thinking about how much money you make...

Wrong. Good try though. I personally have been JUMPED and had my head slammed into concrete, and 2 guys on my back punching me in the back of the head. I had friends with me, did we start a brawl? Nope, my friends pulled the idiots off of me, we told them to go to hell, and we walked off. Only retards need to start fights, there are plenty of fouls as hard as the one in the Knicks-Nugs game, and a fight doesn't happen. They need to act like adults, and not fight like children.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Nope, my friends pulled the idiots off of me, we told them to go to hell, and we walked off.

Good for you. Not too many people have that kind of courage.

I think Andy's point, however, is that you made that decision independent of how much a fight would "cost" you. In other words, if you thought you had less to lose, would you have been more likely to fight? Probably not.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think Andy's point, however, is that you made that decision independent of how much a fight would "cost" you. In other words, if you thought you had less to lose, would you have been more likely to fight? Probably not.

True, in the heat of the moment, those guys probably don't think about fines. I guess my point is, there is almost never a reason to fight, and the guys should behave like adults. Would stiffer fines/suspensions reduce fighting? I don't know, but I can't think of anything else that would...so I think its the only option.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
True, in the heat of the moment, those guys probably don't think about fines. I guess my point is, there is almost never a reason to fight, and the guys should behave like adults. Would stiffer fines/suspensions reduce fighting? I don't know, but I can't think of anything else that would...so I think its the only option.

Counselling?

And remember that the main people in this fight were between 19 and 23, they aren't exactly the most mature of people.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How is 15 games not enough? Thats the longest suspension that I've ever seen for a player who punched another player one time.

Stern is out of control.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
How is 15 games not enough? Thats the longest suspension that I've ever seen for a player who punched another player one time.

Stern is out of control.

How many games was Shaq suspended for..

- swinging and sort of connecting with Brad Miller's head/neck from behind
- slapping Greg Ostertag

It'd be interesting to see when comparing it to this incident.

Or Vernon Maxwell's going into the stands.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Stern is out of control.

You're right... Stern is out of control. The fact that he didn't do a thing about Karl is a joke!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George Karl, is that who you are talking about? The big fat white guy who was over by the bench not punching anyone? I'm confused.
He should have told his team,"Try not to dunk so much, it will hurt their feelings."

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
If Melo is unpaid for his suspension time that's about 700K. I'd say that's a good fine.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
vernon maxwell got 10 games for going into the stands

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
vernon maxwell got 10 games for going into the stands

I would have gone into the stands in his situation, too. The heckler was talking trash about his recently stillborn baby. Maxwell should have been left off the hook, IMO. Some things are just plain over the line. If anyone got the boot, it should have been the heckler, who should have been banned from all NBA stadiums for life....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard