Carlos Gonzales

AZZenny

Reaction score
From BA: #1 Midwest League prospect -

The low Class A Midwest League has been good for at least one star hitting prospect each year this decade, with an alumni list that includes Albert Pujols and Adam Dunn (2000), Miguel Cabrera (2001), Joe Mauer (2002), Prince Fielder (2003) and Brandon Wood (2004).

The latest addition is South Bend outfielder Carlos Gonzales, who led the Silver Hawks to the league championship while catching the eye of everyone who saw him. He won the league MVP award and managers rated him the MWL's best batting prospect, defensive outfielder and outfield arm as well its most exciting player.

"I've seen all the guys who came through the league the last five years," a National League scout said, "and I'm not sure Gonzales isn't better than all of them except Joe Mauer. He's better than Daric Barton and Casey Kotchman. He's better than Justin Morneau, Jason Stokes and Adrian Gonzalez.

"That bat is so special. He's an easy, easy great bat."

1. CARLOS GONZALES, of, South Bend Silver Hawks (Diamondbacks)
Age: 19 Ht: 6-1 Wt: 180 B-T: L-L Drafted/Signed: Diamondbacks FA '02 (Venezuela)

The Diamondbacks had enough faith in Gonzales to send him to South Bend to start the 2004 season at age 18, but he broke his right wrist in the second week. He spent last summer instead in the short-season Northwest League, where he ranked as the No. 3 prospect behind outfielders Javier Herrera and Ryan Harvey—whom he outclassed in the MWL this year.

Gonzales has an effortless swing and balls soar off his bat. He keeps the bat in the strike zone for a long time and has proven he can hit all types of pitching to all fields. Managers raved about his ability to make two-strike adjustments as a teenager.

His only below-average tool is his speed, but he uses it well on the bases and in right field. He shows good jumps and routes on fly balls. Though runners quickly learned not to challenge his cannon arm, he ranked fourth in the league with 13 outfield assists.

"This guy looks like Carlos Beltran when Beltran is going good," an American League scout said. "He doesn't run as well but he's a better hitter. And he's got that great arm. He has the highest ceiling in the league."

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
515 91 158 28 6 18 98 48 86 7 3 .307 .371 .489

Hee hee!! WHEEEEE!!!!!
You must be registered for see images

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Do you think we have enough outfield prospects?

I didn't think so either...

OP
OP
A

AZZenny

Reaction score
BA said earlier this year we should be prohibited from drafting any more great-hitting outfielders for a few years. :mrgreen:

btw, if anyone wants to see this kid, Garrett Mock, Jason Neighborgall, etc., there is a 2-3 week Instructional League taking place in Tucson, with morning games pretty much every day across from TEP this week and next. There is one game at Chase this Weds afternoon but it may not be 'open to public.'
In which case I'll watch from Friday's.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
btw, if anyone wants to see this kid, Garrett Mock, Jason Neighborgall, etc., there is a 2-3 week Instructional League taking place in Tucson, with morning games pretty much every day across from TEP this week and next.[/COLOR]

Hmmm. I will try my best to make one of those in Tucson, but this week will not be good for homework and the like... :-\

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q: Jaypers from Springfield, IL asks:
Carlos Gonzales: estimated ETA at the Show?

A: Jim Callis: Sorry about the time confusion, but I'm here now. As for Gonzales, the top prospect in the league, he needs another 2-3 years in the minors before he's ready.

Q: john from miami asks:
Just wondering what tier that Carlos Gonzales would fall within the top 100. Is he considered an elite prospect or still a work in progress?

A: Jim Callis: Very exciting tools but hasn't proven himself above low Class A, so he'd fit on the back half of the Top 100 for me. If he does this again next year, I'll be happy to slap the "elite" tag on him.

Q: Francine Bauer from Tucson, AZ asks:
Shappi was awesome in the MWL, but ordinary in the Cal League. Did he make an impression at all in the MWL?

A: Jim Callis: Not as a Top 20 guy, but everyone respected his ability to throw strikes. Shappi's stuff is pretty ordinary.
-----------------------
I wish someone had asked a question about Cesar Nicolas.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
From BA: #1 Midwest League prospect -

The low Class A Midwest League has been good for at least one star hitting prospect each year this decade, with an alumni list that includes Albert Pujols and Adam Dunn (2000), Miguel Cabrera (2001), Joe Mauer (2002), Prince Fielder (2003) and Brandon Wood (2004).

The latest addition is South Bend outfielder Carlos Gonzales, who led the Silver Hawks to the league championship while catching the eye of everyone who saw him. He won the league MVP award and managers rated him the MWL's best batting prospect, defensive outfielder and outfield arm as well its most exciting player.

"I've seen all the guys who came through the league the last five years," a National League scout said, "and I'm not sure Gonzales isn't better than all of them except Joe Mauer. He's better than Daric Barton and Casey Kotchman. He's better than Justin Morneau, Jason Stokes and Adrian Gonzalez.

"That bat is so special. He's an easy, easy great bat."

1. CARLOS GONZALES, of, South Bend Silver Hawks (Diamondbacks)
Age: 19 Ht: 6-1 Wt: 180 B-T: L-L Drafted/Signed: Diamondbacks FA '02 (Venezuela)

The Diamondbacks had enough faith in Gonzales to send him to South Bend to start the 2004 season at age 18, but he broke his right wrist in the second week. He spent last summer instead in the short-season Northwest League, where he ranked as the No. 3 prospect behind outfielders Javier Herrera and Ryan Harvey—whom he outclassed in the MWL this year.

Gonzales has an effortless swing and balls soar off his bat. He keeps the bat in the strike zone for a long time and has proven he can hit all types of pitching to all fields. Managers raved about his ability to make two-strike adjustments as a teenager.

His only below-average tool is his speed, but he uses it well on the bases and in right field. He shows good jumps and routes on fly balls. Though runners quickly learned not to challenge his cannon arm, he ranked fourth in the league with 13 outfield assists.

"This guy looks like Carlos Beltran when Beltran is going good," an American League scout said. "He doesn't run as well but he's a better hitter. And he's got that great arm. He has the highest ceiling in the league."

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
515 91 158 28 6 18 98 48 86 7 3 .307 .371 .489

Hee hee!! WHEEEEE!!!!!
You must be registered for see images

Thanks for posting that.

All I got to say is WOOOOOOOOOOW.. Quentin, Tracy and Gonzo Part II in the OF, Upton, Drew, Jackson and Glaus in the IF.. That's a damn dangerous lineup if all (minus Glaus and Tracy who are already there) develop.

Now to fix that little issue called pitching..

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Does anyone have bios on the '05 draft class after upton? I keep hearing about all these pitchers they took and want to see their before draft and post draft stats if possible THANKS! :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard