Cards targeting LeBeau?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
ESPN John Clayton this morning was on the Doug & Wolf show and said the chances of Dick LeBeau coming to the Cardinals are zero. He said that is loyal to the players and to Pittsburgh. His next move will be retirement.

The intersting thing to me is that after Wolf made the comments about LeBeau they had on Cardinals Special Team Coach Kevin Spencer and he seemed to give the LeBeau as Cardinals DC some validity.

He said that Whiz and LeBeau have a very close relationship. In fact he called it an almost father son relationship. He also said that LeBeau loves golfing as much as he loves coaching and is very competetive. He said that Whiz and LeBeau golf together whenever the possibility presents itself. He believes the only reason he doesn't think it might happen is beacause LeBeaus sons are in Cincinnati and that LeBeaus mother is also out east. I got the impression that this might have been something that has been talked about betwwen these guys.

Wolf also talked about LeBeau and Horton. He said that LeBeau is always very forthcoming about blitz and rush packages but he never ever talks about coverages in his system and that it is known that he believes that the coverages are the secret to the system.

He also said that Horton is very well respected and has worked with LeBeau for many years and has dealt with coverages in the Steeler system and knows as much about them as LeBeau himself.

I wouldn't take anything Wolf says about the Steelers lightly because his brother works for the Steeler organization and he usually has pretty good information.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If that is the list, and LeBeau isn't retiring, I see this playing out one of two ways.

We'll interview both LeBeau and Butler (I think assistants can interview the week between the conference finals and the SB, but that might only be for HC spots). We will make both and offer. I think Butler will go back to Pitt and tell them the offer and say "if you give me the DC spot now, I'll stay, otherwise I am leaving" Pitt decides to keep Butler, knowing LeBeau will be retiring soon. LeBeau turns around and takes our offer so he can finish his career here.

OR, Pittsburgh will say "we aren't going to get rid of LeBeau, he's the best in the business" and we get Butler.

If LeBeau does decide to retire, Horton will be our DC.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So are you arguing that Dick LeBeau isn't a good defensive coordinator?

No. Not at all. But he's not a good head coach, and he's worked under defensive-oriented head coaches his entire career in Cowher and now Mike Tomlin. The one time he ran his own ship, he was an abject failure.

I love Dick LeBeau, but I think that any coordinator or position coach moving up from the Pittsburgh organization needs to be seen through a more gimlet eye than what people here are giving. The Pittsburgh Steelers are the best organization in the NFL, and that starts with ownership and the personnel department and then goes down to the coaching staff.

Anyway, I think that Wolfley's mouth and heart were getting ahead of his (concussed) brain once again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I think that Wolfley's mouth and heart were getting ahead of his (concussed) brain once again.

agreed. i will bet anyone anything that Dick Lebeau is NOT our next DC.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I heard most of the interview Mitch. As was stated, he felt LeBeau coming to the Cards was beyond ludicrous. Said LeBeau would retire before ever joining the Cards. Seems to think the plan is already in place for Butler to one day step in... said LeBeau is not going to pull a Paterno and that his day as a DC are drawing to a close...

Said he remains convinced that a new CBA will get done and a strike will be avoided. Might not happen until March or April - but a deal will get done. FWIW, I'm far less optimistic on that one, but, I'm no Jon Clayton...

Oh, he also will be at the Pitt-Jets game on Sunday and told Wolf that he'll be sure to say hello to his brother Craig who apparently is a sideline reporter for the Steelers...
I put zero faith in what John Clayton says. He doesn't know if LeBeau would come here or not. Chances are against it but it could happen. The guy is in his 70's, lies to golf, and has nothing to prove in Pitt. He has a connection in Arizona, can golf year round, and has another coaching challenge. It's not beyond ludicrous as the bald, pony tailed guy would say.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hire Horton ad the DC and bring LaBeau in as a Defensive Player Personnel Consultant for the FA and draft class.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I would guess that Pittsburgh keeps both LeBeau and Butler, and that Butler takes over when LeBeau retires, be it this year or several years from now.

No reason not to pursue, though.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I am not sure the actual viability of this pipe dream coming to fruition, but there is one piece of the equation many are not factoring in.

Much like Whisenhunt, part of Tomlin being awarded the HC job in Pittsburgh was taking on the incumbent DC (obviously there is a WORLD of difference between Clancy and LeBeau) and also like Whisenhunt, after having more levereage in the organization because of winning, Tomlin might want to put his own stamp on the defense, as he is a Tampa 2 guy.

Also other then working for him for the past 4 years, there is no real connection between Tomlin and Lebeau. If Lebeau really does have a father-son type relationship with Wiz, I could see him wanting to rekindle that relationship in a much warmer place and MAYBE for more money.

Not saying its likely, but this DC opening might the impetus for all of these circumstances to come together and have Lebeau leave Pitt.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though :)

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Maybe Ken and Dick had an "off the record" conversation on the golf course recently. Ken: "Boy, did I screw things up in picking a DC last time. Gotta fix it come next season. Any suggestions?" Dick: "Well, there's this LeBeau guy who's contract is up after this season. Maybe give him a call"............uhhh, since we're dreaming......

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I am not sure the actual viability of this pipe dream coming to fruition, but there is one piece of the equation many are not factoring in.

Much like Whisenhunt, part of Tomlin being awarded the HC job in Pittsburgh was taking on the incumbent DC (obviously there is a WORLD of difference between Clancy and LeBeau) and also like Whisenhunt, after having more levereage in the organization because of winning, Tomlin might want to put his own stamp on the defense, as he is a Tampa 2 guy.

Also other then working for him for the past 4 years, there is no real connection between Tomlin and Lebeau. If Lebeau really does have a father-son type relationship with Wiz, I could see him wanting to rekindle that relationship in a much warmer place and MAYBE for more money.

Not saying its likely, but this DC opening might the impetus for all of these circumstances to come together and have Lebeau leave Pitt.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though :)

This is certainly something to think about, however, if what is in bold is the case, then I doubt they would have put in Butler's contract that he is the DC in waiting, since Butler is a disciple of Lebeau's 3-4 defense.

Also gets me thinking about that clause in Butler's contract. Perhaps it's a waivable clause much like a player's no-trade clause, where Butler could waive that clause at any time. I've been thinking about that heavily lately since hearing from friends and family in the Pittsburgh and Steubenville area that monitor the sports market heavily in Pennsylvania and Ohio, a lot of signs are pointing to Butler coming to AZ IF and only if...Pittsburgh allows him to interview with us.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pittsburgh is on their way to possibly winning their third Super Bowl in 5 years, and a possible second under Tomlin. Tampa 2 or not, to overhaul that defense from a 3-4 to a Tampa 2 would be a colossal mistake. Pittsburgh would be better off with DA as their starting QB next year as opposed to switching a defense that has brought them so much success. Odds are the Cards land neither LeBeau or Butler.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This idea seems so far fetched that I can see it going one of two ways. One, the Cards have some inside info about Lebeau and either hire him or use him for leverage in order to get Butler. If this is the case, it would be a major coup for this team and would go a long way toward re-instilling my faith in the FO after last year's offseason debacle.

If, however, getting Lebeau is as much of a long shot as it appears and the Cards still consider him one of the top three options for DC, I'll be more concerned than ever. It would be the coaching equivalent of having Peyton Manning as one of our top three QB options in free agency.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Pittsburgh is on their way to possibly winning their third Super Bowl in 5 years, and a possible second under Tomlin. Tampa 2 or not, to overhaul that defense from a 3-4 to a Tampa 2 would be a colossal mistake. Pittsburgh would be better off with DA as their starting QB next year as opposed to switching a defense that has brought them so much success. Odds are the Cards land neither LeBeau or Butler.

Not saying its going to happen man. Just painting the full picture.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Story gaining steam nationally

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6051213

If LeBeau doesn't retire or return to the Steelers, he may land in Arizona. The Cardinals boast former Steelers assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm and currently have an opening at defensive coordinator after firing Billy Davis.

The Cardinals have been suspiciously quiet while other NFC West teams have made high-profile moves. The 49ers hired coach Jim Harbaugh, the Rams hired offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and the Seahawks hired former Raiders coach Tom Cable and former Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Last season the Cardinals ranked 30th in the league in scoring defense, allowing 27.1 points per game. They ranked 30th in the league in rush defense, surrendering 145.2 yards per game.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Guy is a golfer and loves AZ.

As long as Butler doesn't flat out turn down the Cards job, Pitt can't keep both of them. Would be great if LeBeau wants to coach a few more years and groom someone here to follow him in AZ (while playing lots of golf).

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Great we could have him on the golf course and Grimm at a Springsteen concert while we get scored on to the tune of 70 points a game and give up 10 sacks. I think we already have one ex-Steelers coach who retired on our payroll do we really need another?

I read this at work on Friday and busted up laughing while all my coworkers stared at me.

Well played sir.

KenobiOne

Reaction score
I like the idea of LeBeau here. Let him lay down some groundwork, put his system in place, draft his guys for a couple of seasons, and then hand the D off to a new successor. At 73, I think that length of contract and responsibility will probably matter more than the money. Hell, I'd even kick in a bill for a membership to Troon if it would sway him.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
There's about as good a chance of Jessica Alba begging me to have a ********* with her and Christina Hendrix.

freebyrd

Reaction score
must whiz wait for every god dang steelers assistant or cast off player every stinking year?
is there no one else who was more qualified than billy davis in all the nfl to look at besides someone who was wearing black and gold?
this is getting tiresome:mulli:

TopGun

Registered
Reaction score
Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau threw a bucket of ice-cold water on rumors that he might leave for the Eagles in 2011.
"If I'm in the state of Pennsylvania I'm going to be in Pittsburgh," he said, seemingly leaving the door open for Arizona as an option. LeBeau has history with Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, and Whiz needs a defensive coordinator. LeBeau is also scheduled for unrestricted coaching free agency in 2011.
Source: Jonathan Tamari on Twitter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA