Cards sign Darrel Williams

Reaction score
I don't. 2 late round picks that we can't count on--any even tiny contribution from them will just be a bonus. I don't want Jones anywhere near starting at OG. Murray's the same oft-injured player we've had previously. Hernandez is a hopeful project player. We have solidified nothing, but, hey, we threw some spaghetti at the wall!
Why you gotta talk crap about spaghetti? :trout:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
In 3 playoff games last year he totaled 10 snaps. Jerick McKinnon took his snaps.

It is an ok signing and provides veteran depth but this guy is nothing good. There is no reason to be excited for this signing.
Now, take that back Chopper, because he might not be something 'great' but you basically said there is nothing good about him which is a load of quality fertilizer... he does have some good qualities as a vet and while not excited, I am relieved to say the least lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Now, take that back Chopper, because he might not be something 'great' but you basically said there is nothing good about him which is a load of quality fertilizer... he does have some good qualities as a vet and while not excited, I am relieved to say the least lol
J A G

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’d say J A F P.

Just a football player. He’s a legit pro. His experience and skills are good enough to be on the field and not embarrass himself. That’s a big deal.
I'm fine with this. His advanced stats were essentially the same as Chase Edmonds'. Running backs are ENTIRELY fungible, which is why spending money on James Conner seems so silly. We probably will/would have gotten the same production from Williams.

That said, it's hilarious that Brit and others are praising this signing when it may block both Eno Benjamin and Ingram from getting more snaps. If it's good for Zaven Collins, why isn't it good for Benjamin/Ingram?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The importance of this signing (assuming Kingsbury was involved) is that it further indicates a change in offensive philosophy. Perhaps Kingsbury has come to realize that simply letting Murray run for his life to elude the rush is not a sound offensive strategy. It subjects Murray to a high incidence of injury and increases the likelihood of turnovers. The Cards seem to be indicating 2 changes. With Williams and McBride the Cards have made emphasizing short range receivers more. Simply get the ball out quickly. If this works to slow the rush instead of going with an empty backfield, leave Williams in to protect and hopefully give Murray more time to throw deep to Brown or Moore. Now it’s up to Kingsbury to integrate this into a more diverse, new-look offense. Hopkins later addition could be icing on the cake. Somewhere along the way Kingsbury needs to make better decisions and enhance Murray’s chances of being successful. Anyone could see how frustrated Murray was at times last seasons when rushers were on him almost immediately. A new philosophy of being focused on his protection could change his entire outlook.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. His advanced stats were essentially the same as Chase Edmonds'. Running backs are ENTIRELY fungible, which is why spending money on James Conner seems so silly. We probably will/would have gotten the same production from Williams.

That said, it's hilarious that Brit and others are praising this signing when it may block both Eno Benjamin and Ingram from getting more snaps. If it's good for Zaven Collins, why isn't it good for Benjamin/Ingram?
You’re right. It’s why I’m not on their page. Personally I like having the steady guy. Have the guys with potential force their way on the field.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will say this. People lauding this deal as anything more than adding a vet player are basically saying that the Chiefs were stupid enough to let a valuable player go who had been on their roster for multiple years and would have cost the league min to instead sign Ronald Jones for 1.5 mil.

They spent 600k more to sign Jones vs saving that money and keeping Williams. And Keim was the big brain genius to sniff out their blunder before any other team in the league.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I will say this. People lauding this deal as anything more than adding a vet player are basically saying that the Chiefs were stupid enough to let a valuable player go who had been on their roster for multiple years and would have cost the league min to instead sign Ronald Jones for 1.5 mil.

They spent 600k more to sign Jones vs saving that money and keeping Williams. And Keim was the big brain genius to sniff out their blunder before any other team in the league.
I agree with you here.

My thing is that I always prefer to have a vet backup that you know can play decent when you essentially have unknowns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Uh no. I would’ve rather had jones. For the chiefs to sign him for a few more dollars made sense. Lucky them, they’re more attractive destination than are the cardinals. Doesn’t mean our signing of Williams was bad, even just not good. This isn’t a binary system.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
I’d say J A F P.

Just a football player. He’s a legit pro. His experience and skills are good enough to be on the field and not embarrass himself. That’s a big deal.
This!…I’m not super excited about this signing because he’s the backup not the starter. Conner is the man! But if he goes down I’d rather have Williams as an option. Experience counts!
Ie. Depth

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The importance of this signing (assuming Kingsbury was involved) is that it further indicates a change in offensive philosophy. Perhaps Kingsbury has come to realize that simply letting Murray run for his life to elude the rush is not a sound offensive strategy. It subjects Murray to a high incidence of injury and increases the likelihood of turnovers. The Cards seem to be indicating 2 changes. With Williams and McBride the Cards have made emphasizing short range receivers more. Simply get the ball out quickly. If this works to slow the rush instead of going with an empty backfield, leave Williams in to protect and hopefully give Murray more time to throw deep to Brown or Moore. Now it’s up to Kingsbury to integrate this into a more diverse, new-look offense. Hopkins later addition could be icing on the cake. Somewhere along the way Kingsbury needs to make better decisions and enhance Murray’s chances of being successful. Anyone could see how frustrated Murray was at times last seasons when rushers were on him almost immediately. A new philosophy of being focused on his protection could change his entire outlook.
And here I thought it was Murray’s fault when rushers were on him immediately;)

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I haven't seen anyone say they were happy with it outside the context that he's a vet backup that is capable.

I've not seen anyone crowning him as great. Simply, if you're going to have a #2 RB then having one that 1000 scrimmage yards last year, can run, receive and block and is endorsed by Mahomes is a decent one to have.

Nobody thinks he's amazing.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And here I thought it was Murray’s fault when rushers were on him immediately;)
Nah, those jail breaks leave the kid no chance to avoid the rush, yet, miraculously, sometimes he does. That's why it's criminal how we neglected the OL this offseason. It's only frustrating when there is a pocket and, instead, KM spins out of said pocket and into the arms of the pass rush.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, those jail breaks leave the kid no chance to avoid the rush, yet, miraculously, sometimes he does. That's why it's criminal how we neglected the OL this offseason. It's only frustrating when there is a pocket and, instead, KM spins out of said pocket and into the arms of the pass rush.
This

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of assumptions to me. This assumes Klingsbury is going to abandon his offense to accept a more traditional NFL offense instead of one he has developed/believed in for years. This is assuming. that Murray is suddenly going to become a pocket QB who will stand up in the pocket to deliver a pass.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
All I know is this, if I was one of the young backs on this roster, I would buy a t-shirt with 'specia'l written on the front with a big happy smiley face with the word 'teams' on the back. I'd be yelling after practice, "I don't know about you guys, but I just can't get enough of running forty yard gassers" and then proceed back to the practice field and hit a tackling dummy after each gasser. I would simply light up with a big stupid grin of excitement whenever the word kickoff was used and use those words often till it drove the coaches cray cray... because special teams is their ticket to sticking on this roster

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All I know is this, if I was one of the young backs on this roster, I would buy a t-shirt with 'specia'l written on the front with a big happy smiley face with the word 'teams' on the back. I'd be yelling after practice, "I don't know about you guys, but I just can't get enough of running forty yard gassers" and then proceed back to the practice field and hit a tackling dummy after each gasser. I would simply light up with a big stupid grin of excitement whenever the word kickoff was used and use those words often till it drove the coaches cray cray... because special teams is their ticket to sticking on this roster

Agreed. I think Ward is safe. There are 4 backs competing for 2 spots and Ward is the only one that really plays ST's.

I would think Ward and Ingram if I had to put my money on it. Ingram has never played ST's either but his size plus the fact they drafted him I think will give him the edge.

Darrel Williams isn't a lock. He might not fit or the younger guys might outperform him. And vet min guys are easy to cut.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of assumptions to me. This assumes Klingsbury is going to abandon his offense to accept a more traditional NFL offense instead of one he has developed/believed in for years. This is assuming. that Murray is suddenly going to become a pocket QB who will stand up in the pocket to deliver a pass.
Typically everything I post on here is speculation. I was not indicating Murray would turn into a pocket passer. Rather if he turned to look at the field after his drop he might not have a rusher 2 feet in front of his face! As to Kingsbury’s history I would submit the last six games and especially the playoff indicated something has to change.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I went back and looked at the equivalent Conner thread from a year ago. Plenty of people didn’t like that one at the time, including several with the same opinion on this signing. So there’s that.
Conner was a pleasant surprise on a one year deal. Now that he's paid as a top back, he'll have to have equivalent numbers, or that Conner bargain will look like a mistake.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose