Cards say staff is set

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Cards say staff is set
By Darren Urban, Tribune
January 28, 2006

Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Graves stressed Friday that “our staff is in place,” after a recent flurry of inquiries by other teams seeking interviews with current Arizona assistant coaches.

“Personally, I’m delighted other teams are interested,” Graves said. “But we are going to make every effort to keep quality here and not allow teams to raid the good coaches.”

The Cardinals denied the Houston Texans permission this week to interview linebackers coach Frank Bush for a co-defensive coordinator position. Running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who interviewed for a position with the Saints, will likely not be hired, a source in New Orleans confirmed.

The team declined to allow St. Louis permission to speak to offensive line coach Steve Loney, who was just hired by Arizona earlier this month. Graves said that generally, keeping assistants under contract is team policy.

The Cardinals are unhappy those stories have played out in the media. The team normally doesn’t comment or confirm any contractual issues with its assistant coaches, including when teams ask for permission to speak to one of them. Bush’s situation originally played out in the Houston Chronicle.

Graves would not talk about specific coaches Friday. But he was admittedly frustrated that the Cardinals have been criticized for declining to give permission to let coaches out of their contracts.

Earlier this offseason, the Cardinals were denied permission to interview Rams defensive line coach Bill Kollar, who has since moved on to Buffalo. It wasn’t the first time the Cards have been denied — for instance, the Buccaneers denied permission to the Cards two years ago to talk to linebackers coach Joe Barry for their defensive coordinator spot.

“The issues of granted permission or not granting permission, no team wants to be disadvantaged,” Graves said. “Our policy is no different than most teams in the league.”

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
I wonder how many of our coaches received a contract like the one Snyder gave his assistant/co-headcoach in Washington? What was it, 5 million over three years?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And your point is ??

But the answer would zero. The answer would also be zero if you asked how many other coordinatotors in any other NFL had done this.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
My point is you get what you pay for. Cards need quality coaching from the top down and it is going to cost them more to get the better coaches. We all know how cheap the Bidwills have been. Will the revenue from the new stadium change that? We will have to wait and see.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you point was that the Cardinals are cheap that came across loud and clear.

I was making the point that you are comparing the Cardinals to the Redskins. They have more cash to spend on coaches [which is uncapped] than any team in the league. So if you are expecting the Cardinals to outspend the Redskins it will be a very long wait.

The new stadium will not change that, nothing will change that. Aizona is a smaller market that DC. In fact DC is the worst case as they are heaviliy 'subsiudized' by corporations buying tickets/suites to give out to officials.

Now will the new stadium change how we are relative to the rest of the league. MB told me that this is the plan.

Frankly the Cardinals haven't been cheap really. They spend the same on players as the rest of the league and they havn't had the funds to spend as much on non capped stuff. That isn't being cheap, it's just not being as wealthuy as some teams.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
My intention was not to compare the Skins to the Cards but it did come across that way. You make some good points. I just hope revenue increases enough to get a quality OC and DC.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
NFL_FAN said:
My intention was not to compare the Skins to the Cards but it did come across that way. You make some good points. I just hope revenue increases enough to get a quality OC and DC.

So a DC who has us as a defense in the upper half of the NFL with injuries to 3 starters on the DLine, significant playing time lost to LBs and CBs isn't quality? He was being touted last year as one of the best young DCs in the NFL by quite a few in the media. He didn't get as much hype this year but the defense actually didn't play poorly. IMO they are a Free Safety and DT away from being top 5 (assuming no injuries).

Then we have a first year OC who gets our offense in the top 10 in the league with NO running game, injuries all over and inconsistent play on the OLine and he isn't quality either?

Please explain. I'd really like to hear it.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with our current coordinators ?

Some of the assistants didn't pan out and DG replaced them. Most folks seem to think the replacments are first rate.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
nidan said:
What is wrong with our current coordinators ?

Some of the assistants didn't pan out and DG replaced them. Most folks seem to think the replacments are first rate.

But Tim Green says Pendergast sucks!

spanky1

Reaction score
NFL_FAN said:

We already have a quality DC......and Rowen might surprise you as he gets going next year.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Who is Tim Green?

A moron who does color for Fox games occasionally. It's a joke. Actually I think it was Bill Maas who made the comment about how Pendergast is a dog. It doesn't matter, they all sound the same to me: thoroughly ignorant about the Cardinals.

seesred

Reaction score
Another cheap joke? Why? We went out and resigned and then grabbed the best available quickly. What else could we have done. Others want our coaches this is a great sign don't you think?

GBR

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
seesred said:
Another cheap joke? Why? We went out and resigned and then grabbed the best available quickly. What else could we have done. Others want our coaches this is a great sign don't you think?

GBR

I believe some of the reason that Kubiak wants Bush, is because Bush was a star at LB, during the Run and Shoot era. It looks like the Texans are trying to make a tight connection with the fans. Trying to sign an old "fan favorite" Oiler, and possibly thinking about drafting VY first. Both are bad ideas, but hey, I'm not a Texan fan.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
OK guys, I got home from the hospital yesterday from neck surgery. It was the heavy pain medication talking and not making sense. Apologies if I offended anyone.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
My head is more clear but I have to wear this dar n cervical collar for about a month!! And thanks for my mulligan!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard