Cards make moves | Hodel cut, Watson and Pope Receive Tender offers

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Watson got the 2nd round tender offer for 1.545 mill.

Pope got the lowest tender(in popes case will be a 3rd) offer for 1.01 mill.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
"The Cardinals prepped for free agency Thursday with a series of moves, including the release of long snapper Nathan Hodel. "

Sad news...great guy, and was also extremely reliable...not sure what the justification is behind this one.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:bang:

I dont get this at all. We release Hodel, who has been the most consistant player on this team in as long as I can remember? We also appear to be just letting Terrelle Smith walk?

I wanna trust Whiz, but this offseason is beginning to get scarry IMO.

Last edited:

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Watson got the 2nd round tender offer for 1.545 mill.

Pope got the lowest tender(in popes case will be a 3rd) offer for 1.01 mill.

Glad we tendered Watson at the 2nd, I doubt any teams get serious about signing him.

Pope? Is that contract guaranteed? If he doesn't make it out of camp what is the cap hit? I guess Graves wasn't comfortable with only 1 TE on the roster atm.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hodel is a head-scratcher.

As is the offer to Pope, IMO. Maybe he was never right from his ankle dislocation from the previous season and the coaches have hope for him? Otherwise, I think he's largely (no pun intended) a waste of a roster spot.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Boooo. I don't like the Hodel release.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
:bang:

I dont get this at all. We release Hodel, who has been the most consistant player on this team in as long as I can remember? We also appear to be just letting Terrelle Smith walk?

I wanna trust Whiz, but this offseason is beginning to get scarry IMO.

The hodel release is suprising, I'm not looking forward to seeing how the Cards replace him. It will be tough to be an upgrade imho.

Smith going elsewhere doesn't concern me that much tbh. Castille can do the job IMO, and that will free up a roster spot, possibly for a 4th RB, we resign JJ, draft a workhorse, and sign an insurance back, carry another DL, LB, OL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hodel is definitely a head scratcher. Didn't they just extend him last year?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad we tendered Watson at the 2nd, I doubt any teams get serious about signing him.

Pope? Is that contract guaranteed? If he doesn't make it out of camp what is the cap hit? I guess Graves wasn't comfortable with only 1 TE on the roster atm.

But we also extended offers to Patrick, Spach and signed Alex Shor, so that blows that theory out of the water. The staff must simply like Pope.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess 900,000 is too much for a specialty snapper. Maybe he will come back at a lower price?:shrug:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I know this is going to be counter-intuitive to many of you but I going to give some advice and hopefully many of you take it.

We all got opinions.

But maybe we should wait until after the draft before we start jumping off cliffs and going crazy.

Was anyone real excited about our offseason even AFTER the draft last year? All we did was get to the Super Bowl.

Relax........If the loss of Holdel makes or breaks are season (and I can't imagine there wasn't some logic behind this move) we ain't as good as we thought we was anyway.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
1. Hodel being released was not cost related. We only save 500k.
2. He doesn’t make mistakes but how many other LS do you hear about in the NFL making mistakes? What I am getting at is besides him being a great guy is this really that big of a lose?
3. I forget who but one of the players on the squad from last years training camp is also a LS. I want to say maybe Alex Shor?
4. Maybe they are looking at a guy who can not only snap it with consistency but also make a contribution on actually going down field to make a contribution in containing the return man. Maybe a more athletic LS?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
2. He doesn’t make mistakes but how many other LS do you hear about in the NFL making mistakes? What I am getting at is besides him being a great guy is this really that big of a lose?
3. I forget who but one of the players on the squad from last years training camp is also a LS. I want to say maybe Alex Shor?
4. Maybe they are looking at a guy who can not only snap it with consistency but also make a contribution on actually going down field to make a contribution in containing the return man. Maybe a more athletic LS?

To hell with logic!

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

If it is Shor that would make sense. I know I heard during training camp in Flagstaff that the coaching staff was very high on Shor.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Ding Ding Ding.

I am sure there is either a FA targeted or more likely someone on the roster who they have in mind.

Like Joe said - LS across the league don't make many mistakes period. And anyone who is about to reference the NY/SF playoff game needs to remember that was like a decade ago and is probably the biggest mistake in history of the position.

The FO make emotionless decisions. Hodel is a great guy but that shouldn't factor in if he is kept or not.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
hodel i don't think was making over a million...and he has been great. i don't see why the cut there

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard