Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it seems like everyone is making a big deal about Gannon not making changes at halftime in the super bowl. But, why should he have? I think the Chiefs scored only one offensive touchdown in the first half and was behind by a touchdown or so.

So, what changes should he have made at halftime? Tell me.

He should have made his DBs not make glaringly bad mistakes apparently

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Had some fun looking up old Arians threads, when he was hired and the Cards were the last girl on the dance floor.

Edit: Best comments are about how Cards missed out on Mike McCoy as Head Coach!!!!!!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think MB went out of his way to hire an anti-Keim GM who would hire an anti-Kliff coach.

It's ironic, they focused on not missing the players, but we missed on those men.

Based on the limited info, I don't believe we missed on their replacements. We'll see if that translates to wins and success.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As long as we get rid of VJ, I’ll be in wait and see mode.

My lord, I’ve set the bar so low for this franchise.
My hope is that Ossenfort is James Jones and Gannon is Monti. Guys who know what it takes to be competitive and will build a world class organization. The real rot within Cardinals HQ was Steve Keim (you could argue Michael, but that won't change).

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems like everyone is making a big deal about Gannon not making changes at halftime in the super bowl. But, why should he have? I think the Chiefs scored only one offensive touchdown in the first half and was behind by a touchdown or so.

So, what changes should he have made at halftime? Tell me.

Well specifically the Chiefs abused his man coverage repeatedly

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Second-half adjustments

The Eagles dominated the Chiefs in the first half, especially in the second quarter. A 7-7 game quickly turned into Philly's 24-14 advantage at halftime, with the Eagles doubling the Chiefs in plays and time of possession.

The Eagles had 265 yards to the Chiefs' 128 at the break. Without an unforced error on Jalen Hurts' fumble that directly resulted in a Chiefs' defensive score on Nick Bolton's return, this game would not have been close. It looked bleak heading into the half…

However, the second half was a different story. The Chiefs got the ball four times and scored on every posession.

Patrick Mahomes had just one incompletion in the second half, which happened to be a throwaway. The Eagles barely touched Mahomes, while the Chiefs running game got 68 yards from their two running backs in a physical ground-and-pound attack.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not worried about the points given up, I am concerned about how you managed to force only 1 incompletion in the second half.

He got absolutely worked at halftime adjustments.
Andy Reid works every one having Mahomes. That was round 1, he's not gonna get a round 2 now which may have turned out differently? He's ours now so I'm behind him.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Problem is the details of hiring Gannon has to be ironed out before it can be announced. By the time the details are done its leaked and news travels fast.

We never know what actually was discussed with Lou or Kafka. Maybe JG was the target all along.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Just killing the writing game here. Weinfuss definitely couldn't be replaced by ChatGPT.

Gannon could easily survive a Kyler breakup if he's doing other things well. Kliff's downfall was that he was only brought in to be a Kyler whisperer and failed at that.

If Kyler is struggling, how do you measure the success of the rest of the team? What would the "doing other things well" look like?

Well at least he was the guy that figured out how to use Reddick. Let's see if has a plan for Simmons/Collins that pays off as well.

Reddick had double-digit sacks the past three seasons. What are you even talking about?

Michael Bidwill absolutely 100% class -- no detail gets past this front office.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This helps explain the Cardinals not hiring a head coach sooner.

I don't know enough about him to comment if it was a good hire but a flashy hire not does always equate to a good hire.

Congratulations to the Cardinals and fans.
It explains it but why give Anarumo & Kafka 2nd interviews if Monti was waiting on his guy all along? Maybe having a good backup plan?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It explains it but why give Anarumo & Kafka 2nd interviews if Monti was waiting on his guy all along? Maybe having a good backup plan?
Just because Monti had Gannon as his #1 target, there's no guarantee Gannon wants to leave Eagles. He even made the comment 2 weeks ago that he was coming back and not leaving Philly.