Bottom of the Barrel HC search (2013 Resurrect thread)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Well these people weren't politically correct if they shared this information with you then because they didn't keep it under wraps and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate their opinion being shared on a message board.

While I don't have the greatest confidence in the Cardinals front office.

I also don't buy into the belief that every player & coach the Cardinals choose is horrible, nor do I buy into the belief that when a good player is signed by the Cards immediately he becomes awful & the players the Cardinals let a player go immediately become good again.

Like Whiz all of a sudden being this great coach or that the coaches left MUST be horrible.

There are some good prospects and not so good left out there. I could give a damn what the other 31 teams think. Whatever is the right fit is the right guy for the job.

I'll take Jay Gruden & Ray Horton over an Andy Reid & GM or Bruce Ariens & Todd flippin Bowles everytime. If it is not what the other 31 teams think is right then oh well.

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The word around the NFL is that the Cardinal ownership looks to have reverted back to its old ways. Apparently, coaches around the league cannot believe what went down with Whisenhunt. Quote "How can a franchise that seldom even sniffs the playoffs fire a guy who's won 4 playoff games with them & came within seconds of winning a SB". It seems to be common knowledge that Whiz went to the FO right after the SB & said he had no confidence in Leinart being the QBOF & they needed to aggressively pursue a QB to follow Warner asap. He was flat out denied. Coaching candidates are very leery of the Cardinal ownership. They've lost trust that M Bidwill will run this franchise any differently than B Bidwill.

I saw an alien spaceship this morning. Wait, this is the thread where you just make up crap right?

Steve

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I disagree with the bottom of the barrel analogy. The Cardinals now have the most wanted job in the NFL and their fighting NOBODY when it comes to interviews now. The one guy we lost out on for sure was Mike McCoy, (possibly Andy Reid. He could have interviewed and declined). I for one am still interested in this Norv Turner thing. It was reported a week ago he was "for sure with the Browns". I still think Horton can land the HC job if he can land Norv.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I disagree with the bottom of the barrel analogy. The Cardinals now have the most wanted job in the NFL and their fighting NOBODY when it comes to interviews now. The one guy we lost out on for sure was Mike McCoy, (possibly Andy Reid. He could have interviewed and declined). I for one am still interested in this Norv Turner thing. It was reported a week ago he was "for sure with the Browns". I still think Horton can land the HC job if he can land Norv.

Bottom of the barrel is the NY Jets. Look at their fiasco search for a new GM.

If Bruce Arians is hired AND can put together a decent offensive staff, we are no worse off than with Whis IMO. Arians took an extremely young Colts team to the playoffs THIS season. I don't think he's bottom-of-the-barrel. The biggest problem the Cardinals have is quarterback. Hopefully Arians will be better than Whis at evaluating and fixing that position.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

This. Despite any perception we may have, we are in a situation where there are still quality candidates and we can be choosey.

Plus, I don't think the Cards had any legit interest in any of the hired candidates with the exception of McCoy (Reid never got to interview here).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are no links or quotes, and I PRAY their won't be. Most people in the know are politically correct enough to keep comments of that nature under wrap. My career has afforded me the opportunity to develop some colleagues inside the world of Sports. I'll leave it at that & everyone can form their own opinions. I've already said too much.

Not sure how that's "too much". The thing about Whiz asking for a new QB and being denied has been my theory for a long time. The bit about the coaches being leery would fall in line after that if it's true. And I don't even have a source, just intuition, football smarts and a woman named Miss Cleo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Cards found the bottom of the barrel. They hired Uncle Fester (admittedly, that was a cheap shot). If Arians can't bring Andrew Luck with him, his bag is empty. Do not understand the infatuation with the Steeler connection. This hire does not make my toes tingle. Boring.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Bottom of the barrel is the NY Jets. Look at their fiasco search for a new GM.

If Bruce Arians is hired AND can put together a decent offensive staff, we are no worse off than with Whis IMO. Arians took an extremely young Colts team to the playoffs THIS season. I don't think he's bottom-of-the-barrel. The biggest problem the Cardinals have is quarterback. Hopefully Arians will be better than Whis at evaluating and fixing that position.
I'm not as optimistic about Gannon, but I like what Albright said about every GM wanting him this cycle.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not as optimistic about Gannon, but I like what Albright said about every GM wanting him this cycle.
Wrong thread, I think, but re-reading this one brought some big laughs! Look at all the great coaches the Cardinals "missed out on" in 2013:
Damn it.

Arizona and Jacksonville are only 2 left still looking ( Greg Roman is leading rumor there )

KC Chiefs - Andy Reid HC/OC background
Buffalo Bills - Doug Marrone HC/OC background
San Diego Chargers - Mike McCoy OC background
Cleveland Browns - Rob Chudzinski OC background
Philadelphia Eagles - Chip Kelly OC background
Chicago Bears - Marc Trestman OC background
Jacksonville Jaguars - Vacant
Arizona Cardinals - Vacant
Well, the Cards found the bottom of the barrel. They hired Uncle Fester (admittedly, that was a cheap shot). If Arians can't bring Andrew Luck with him, his bag is empty. Do not understand the infatuation with the Steeler connection. This hire does not make my toes tingle. Boring.
:biglaugh:

[Not intended to pick on @Southpaw... I sure didn't know any better at the time! Just goes to show how little we really know based on who the"hot names" and "bottom of the barrel" candidates are in a given year.]

...dave

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wrong thread, I think, but re-reading this one brought some big laughs! Look at all the great coaches the Cardinals "missed out on" in 2013:

[Not intended to pick on @Southpaw... I sure didn't know any better at the time! Just goes to show how little we really know based on who the"hot names" and "bottom of the barrel" candidates are in a given year.]

...dave
All but Reid were significantly worse than Arians.

Better to take your time and get the hire right.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

...dave
My takeaway there? The one guy who had a successful head coaching stint prior (Reid) ended up being the guy. Wish there was one of those this cycle . . . oh wait . . .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard