Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bro, man

Sounds like we have another coach bro in the house

What happened to drawing the line of respect?

I get the enthusiasm, but there needs to be a line IMO

Nothing wrong with being a bro to your players and the line is crossed when they dont do their job or slack off. I can easily see Gannon going off on players who don't perform

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So many things he said I like & will be totally different than KK.

Adaptability: not being married to a certain system, adapting week to week & game to game depending on the opponent.

Accountability: holding players & coaches accountable for not doing their jobs.

Team first: identifying & finding players that put the team first when building this roster.

Playing to Kyler's strengths, showing him how the defense is playing him & what to do to overcome that.

Said in another interview that he's gonna run it down your throat & throw it over your head.

Gonna use 11, 12 & 13 personnel.

Already disagreed with Monti so that tells me he's very comfortable in his vision of what this team should look like.

Loved that he said that they will be teaching in practice every single day to get better.

This is gonna be night & day from what we witnessed the last 4 years guys, I'm fired up & can't wait for FA & the draft.
I don't believe this is as different as you think it is. It is pretty much the same schtick delivered by a different dude.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bro, man

I think if you want a good idea of Gannon's coaching style watch Nick Sirianni. They have worked together for 4-5 years. Last 2 with Sirianni as his boss.

The best bosses or teachers I ever had were guys you didn't want to let down because you liked and respected them but you also knew who was the boss.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Bro, man

dude it’s not 1960.

You want him acting like it’s day 1 of basic training when he meets his new players?

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you want a good idea of Gannon's coaching style watch Nick Sirianni. They have worked together for 4-5 years. Last 2 with Sirianni as his boss.

The best bosses or teachers I ever had were guys you didn't want to let down because you liked and respected them but you also knew who was the boss.
I get it

But those type of people have a line and the players/employees know it

What I'm saying is to draw the line from the beginning so you don't have to put the toothpaste back in the tube

Plenty of time for him to build the relationships that could lead to the closeness

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
some random thoughts on Gannon / the presser:

This is meant respectfully: he sounds like a mash-up of business management gurus and self-help coaches.

I think if you put Gannon and Matt Ishbia in a room together it might explode in a shower of company motivational posters and meeting agendas in 8 point font. Intense, focused, organized, driven.

I worry that guys like this can burn people out eventually - much like Jim Harbaugh. Similar, believe it or not, to Arians (who did the same)-- but imagine a buttoned up, corporate Arians. Guys in Philly apparently loved him -- but he was there only two years.

Two big themes from yesterday -- from Mike to Monti to Gannon: "Accountability" and "Kyler is our guy".

I think this is a good approach. It feels like many (my dad for one) want to see Kyler punished. This would be counter productive. I think the above message from the organization is "Support but with Expectations". That feels way more likely to succeed than the former (but is no guarantee obvs).

i also found interesting the "team first" mantra -- first from Monti and now from Gannon. Clearly they beleive some part of their issues last year were from guys putting their stats ahead of team goals. Curious who that was, and if maybe Kyler was in that group.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
dude it’s not 1960.

You want him acting like it’s day 1 of basic training when he meets his new players?
The polarization on this thread is hilarious. Not wanting to see a guy go "bro" with the players isn't the same as desiring a basic training attitude or "middle school" football mentality. I can certainly understand posters who are disappointed in seeing it.

On the flip side, seeing him go "bro" with the players doesn't mean he's going to be the same as coach bro. I can certainly understand that this isn't bothering other posters.

Me? I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The polarization on this thread is hilarious. Not wanting to see a guy go "bro" with the players isn't the same as desiring a basic training attitude or "middle school" football mentality. I can certainly understand posters who are disappointed in seeing it.

On the flip side, seeing him go "bro" with the players doesn't mean he's going to be the same as coach bro. I can certainly understand that this isn't bothering other posters.

Me? I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

The tendency for people to see a 10 second clip and extrapolate it into a whole philosophy / mantra / style is funny. Not even just people here. Actual people paid money to talk football do this all the time too.

I'm surprised nobody has said he hates Mexicans because he hugged everyone else but only shook Will Hernandez by the hand.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe this is as different as you think it is. It is pretty much the same schtick delivered by a different dude.

I sense a commitment to process and attention to detail absent under KK. He never seemed quite to grasp the overall responsibility as H-C.

In discussing AZ and Denver, Payton eluded to inexperienced coaches losing control of the overall process.

Gannon has to show he won't be overwhelmed by the new responsibilities, but I feel he's considerably better prepared than KK.

And what Dude and how he delivers the message is relevant.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bro, man

It's all nice right now but once they get on the field I totally feel like these players are going to be coached hard & actually taught their assignments. That's a big change right there. I listened to almost every single interview yesterday & he said things that has me fired up for his coaching.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I sense a commitment to process and attention to detail absent under KK. He never seemed quite to grasp the overall responsibility as H-C. In discussing AZ and Denver, Payton eluded to inexperienced coaches losing control of the overall process.

Now, Gannon has to show he won't be overwhelmed by the new responsibilities, but I feel he's considerably better prepared than KK.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Simmons essentially said that training camp was way too lackadaisical. This was probably a major contributor to the teams undoing.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Simmons essentially said that training camp was way too lackadaisical. This was probably a major contributor to the teams undoing.
The most astounding fallout of the collapse of 21 was the idea that this group actually thought it had arrived after getting destroyed in the playoffs against the Rams.

It was pretty obvious throughout Camp Cupcake that a disaster was in the making - that's all on the head coach/front office.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sense a commitment to process and attention to detail absent under KK. He never seemed quite to grasp the overall responsibility as H-C. In discussing AZ and Denver, Payton eluded to inexperienced coaches losing control of the overall process.

Now, Gannon has to show he won't be overwhelmed by the new responsibilities, but I feel he's considerably better prepared than KK.

And you’ve touched on what has been missing on some threads. The word PROCESS. His approach will be process driven & that’s what I wanted to hear. I don’t care what line of work you’re in, there is ALWAYS a daily process to success. I worked in Corporate Sales for FedEx almost my whole life. When I first started, I followed the processes of the most successful salespeople in the company. I wanted to know day to day what they did from the time they woke up to the end of the business day. Once I figured out the process to success, the rest was rather easy. Sounds like Gannon has learned quite a bit from Sirianni in that respect. Granted, it’s far easier for an individual like myself to follow a process than for an entire organization to do so. And that’s the challenge, not only for Gannon, but for this entire franchise top to bottom. Exactly why Gannon mentioned that EVERYONE in that building, top to bottom, has to learn how to be successful. I like the guy & hope his approach works in AZ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard