Cards cuts

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Jordan Hicks is a liability, especially OCs with actual smart minds. Lets not overthink this.

Exactly. Sure, he's serviceable against the run. If only we could guarantee teams would run while he's in there. If I'm an OC, I school my QB to audible right into a pass play when I spot him across the LOS.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue that our best players are consistently in the front 7. Watt, Jones, Golden, Phillips, Gardeck, Kennard, Fotu, Lawrence, Peters, Allen, Collins and Hicks.

Baker will be a staple. After that Byron Murphy. The rest are larger question marks if you ask me. Jalen Thompson health and size. Butler is just not great. Alford was meh last time he played in a regular season game. Marco Wilson is a rookie. Dionte Thompson is borderline roster player. Shaun Williams...meh.

I just don't know how much the Cardinals want Butler, Alford and JThompson on the field at the same time.

My guess is we'll still try and play the 3-4 but in some odd formation of it.

So Watt, Phillips and Lawrence are the 3, the 4 is Jones, Collins, Hicks and Simmons with Baker, J Thompson, Murphy and then either Alford or Butler not sure which.

But because of wanting to get certain guys we'll at times play a 4-2-5 where Simmons moves to the back 5, Hicks and Collins at the 2, and then Jones, Watt, and then you go if it's a run oriented team you play Lawrence and Fotu or Peters(if he's healthy), if it's a pass oriented the other 2 are 2 of Gardeck, Golden and Kennard.

from what I've read we seem to like Lawrence more than people realize, Watt is still versatile he can play inside or outside, Simmons can play ILB or S, so you can play your pass defense and still be big enough to handle the run or play your run defense and still have enough speed to play the pass.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I am a big proponent of putting your best 11 on the field whenever possible. If that means he plays some S, or mostly S so be it.

I do get the joke/dig though. With that said, I'd rather then draft another ILB in Round 1 next year than a WR in the 2nd...
If Keim's around, it's a guarantee we'll redraft a top position, or trade it away for a player we need to give the league's top contract to.

It certainly won't be an RB or OL. If it's a DB, he will play in the slot.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
My guess is we'll still try and play the 3-4 but in some odd formation of it.

so Sharp Football had a write up on the Fazio/Staley two high safety defense that not only confounded the Cards, but impacted the Seahawks, Chiefs and others in the second half of the season.

the defense isnt only two high safeties. the base look is 3 DL, 3 LBs and 5 DBs -- often with the LBs on the line in almost a 5-1-5 look.

i can see how Simmons would be valuable in that defense: the ability to walk up the edge of a formation and play on line OLB, or, drop as a DB

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The waiving of Keesean Johnson makes not resigning Trent Sherfield look even more stupid.

Sherfield was an outside receiver that was great on ST's, worked hard, did all the right things and had to go to another team to show he could potentially start. Likely to now be WR3 for the Niners. Major failure of internal talent evaluation.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The waiving of Keesean Johnson makes not resigning Trent Sherfield look even more stupid.

Sherfield was an outside receiver that was great on ST's, worked hard, did all the right things and had to go to another team to show he could potentially start. Likely to now be WR3 for the Niners. Major failure of internal talent evaluation.
Sherfield deserved also more snaps on offense, but very often meritocracy is ignored

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Sherfield got plenty of snaps on offense.

Remember his big screw-up in the Carolina game during Kliffs first year? Sherfield looked unplayable on offense at times.

And now he's doing the Stephen Williams impression.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like & appreciate Trent, but let’s wait until real football is being played before the final verdict.

Sure, but I doubt if the roles were reversed and we keep Sherfield and released Johnson last year that Keesean is not looking like a #3 WR for the Niners.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, but I doubt if the roles were reversed and we keep Sherfield and released Johnson last year that Keesean is not looking like a #3 WR for the Niners.
With how poor the Niners’ WR room after Aiyuk & injury-prone Deebo, I can’t say this with confidence.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Browns are releasing KhaDarel Hodge. The Cardinals should definitely look at picking him up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the cut deadline is in 3 and a half hours. Slightly different than yesterday.

Practice finishes early today I think? I know Kliff has a presser at 10am after practice so it must be a short one.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
This whole Cut Your Roster Down period in the NFL seems like some alternate reality to me. So many decisions just don't make any sense at face value.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Almost certainly Keesean is back on our PS. If we want him.

There are a whole bunch of better WR options being released. No way he gets claimed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose