Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not the LB I would have signed and it's too much money.

More a run stuffer, poor in coverage. Not really what we needed.

I'm guessing he will play early downs and Vallejo will come in on 3rd. They seemed to like Vallejo towards the end of the season.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not the LB I would have signed and it's too much money.

More a run stuffer, poor in coverage. Not really what we needed.

I'm guessing he will play early downs and Vallejo will come in on 3rd. They seemed to like Vallejo towards the end of the season.

I'm guessing you're drinking on job or you don't know who we're talking about.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What’s the obsession with lamb, good wideout but come on this WR class isn’t elite. He will be a good solid pro who makes or comes close to making the pro bowl once in a while in his career.
I’m not obsessed but I could see this scenario. Lamb would stand out in most any WR group. Like Hopkins he’s special on 50-50 balls. Lamb is also special on yards after the catch (YAC). What’s particularly striking is he focused last offseason on adding strength to enhance that ability. Few players display that level of commitment. Add in his strong history with KM and he’d be a solid selection.

That said, another scenario is also possible. The signings have squeezed cap space. Though he played decently Sweezy could be cut. They could then draft one of the OTs and either play them at guard or move Murray inside. That would give them a young OL with a bright future as Sweezy may well be in his last season. Plus they like Murray as a sound, if not flashy, future.

Finally they could trade down and even settle for a better 2021 draft choice as part of the deal.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Considering QBs when targeting him had a rating over 100 the past 2 seasons, with 9+ yards per completion, almost 500 yards after the catch and 6 TDs I have a hard time believing he is all that great covering TEs or anyone for that matter.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CampDe00.htm

I don’t dislike this signing at all because he has a lot of other things going for him but I am not expecting our TE coverage issues to be solved now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

it’s pretty accurate, I don’t think the stats lie...2019 QBs completed 82% of the passes against him for 462 yards and 3 TDS. He had 5 passes defensed and 2 INTs on 61 targets.

He is durable, athletic and tackles well...lots to like but coverage is a glaring weakness.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
On Campbell he seems a good choice to me. The Cards are not alone in struggling to control TEs. Offenses are ahead of defenses in moving faster, more athletic players to that position. Blocking is secondary at best to most of theses players. Campbell is very athletic and overall had above average success against TEs. Beyond that he rarely gets fooled by play action and is good at shedding blockers. He’s light years ahead of Reddick and means you can drop Murray as a draft target since Campbell will play inside.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Considering QBs when targeting him had a rating over 100 the past 2 seasons, with 9+ yards per completion, almost 500 yards after the catch and 6 TDs I have a hard time believing he is all that great covering TEs or anyone for that matter.

I don’t dislike this signing at all because he has a lot of other things going for him but I am not expecting our TE coverage issues to be solved now.

If he is the primary linebacker covering a TE and those are his stats, he gave up 3 catches for 28 yards and .19 TDs per game. Everything I’ve read is it was his responsibility in ATL to cover the TE. The rest of the team was 24-280 and 3 TDS.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure where you saw that.

I'm not sure how people could watch the games and think "this is a good OL. Let's stick with this and never improve."

Kyler was charged for being responsible (per PFF) for 23 of his own sacks, but that still leaves us at 25 that weren't him, and 63 QB hurries, on only 151 blitzes. However, he was only hit on 16 plays. No other player has that kind of evasion rate.

His pocket time was tied for dead last.
Not to mention that we're relying on his quick release and throwing a bunch of short routes to help out the Oline. Rewatched some games and man our play calling seems so fearful of the Oline.

I also still think it comes down to the draft grades. I want Oline.

However, Keim knows he wouldnt survive if he passed on a wr(knowing he had a top tier grade on him) for just an average Olineman.

Just gotta hope he truly believes he cant lose with whatever Olineman he takes. However, if there's any doubt and his belief is stronger in that wrs....well things will get interesting.

Just hoping for the best right now.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it’s pretty accurate, I don’t think the stats lie...2019 QBs completed 82% of the passes against him for 462 yards and 3 TDS. He had 5 passes defensed and 2 INTs on 61 targets.

He is durable, athletic and tackles well...lots to like but coverage is a glaring weakness.

He was outside in a 4-3 and Atlanta had virtually no pass rush.

My point: the idea that he's a two down ILB who'll get pulled for Vallejo is ludicrous.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If he is the primary linebacker covering a TE and those are his stats, he gave up 3 catches for 28 yards and .19 TDs per game. Everything I’ve read is it was his responsibility in ATL to cover the TE. The rest of the team was 24-280 and 3 TDS.

QBs completing 82% of their attempts against you isn’t very good, no matter how you spin it. As a comparison Hicks saw 8 more pass attempts, QBs completed 78% against him for 612 yards and 3 TDs. We all know coverage wasn’t Hicks’ strong suit...doesn’t mean Hicks didn’t play well overall we just knew he was not very good in coverage.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I don't know what it means but he was in the ballpark of Bobby Wagner, who is generally considered one of the best coverage ILB's.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
QBs completing 82% of their attempts against you isn’t very good, no matter how you spin it. As a comparison Hicks saw 8 more pass attempts, QBs completed 78% against him for 612 yards and 3 TDs. We all know coverage wasn’t Hicks’ strong suit...doesn’t mean Hicks didn’t play well overall we just knew he was not very good in coverage.

You’re right and if he played in the secondary it would be concerning.
94-124 75.8% 899 6 TD the last 2 years.
2.93-3.88 28.1 yards and .19 TDs are his averages per game. No the completion percentage isn’t good at all, but he’s getting less than 4 attempts per game. Is that because the players he’s guarding isn’t open? Or what? He’s not gonna come in and play safety, he’s a linebacker and will get up around 100 tackles and give up 28 yards per game to TEs

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You’re right and if he played in the secondary it would be concerning.
94-124 75.8% 899 6 TD the last 2 years.
2.93-3.88 28.1 yards and .19 TDs are his averages per game. No the completion percentage isn’t good at all, but he’s getting less than 4 attempts per game. Is that because the players he’s guarding isn’t open? Or what? He’s not gonna come in and play safety, he’s a linebacker and will get up around 100 tackles and give up 28 yards per game to TEs

I never said I didn’t like the signing, I think he has a lot of positives but I just disagree with anyone saying our problems covering TEs are now solved or that he is good in coverage.

He obviously wasn’t covering TEs on every down, I am sure Safeties covered TEs more often than he did in ATL...it is just when he was in coverage he wasn’t particularly good or effective.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think we take a WR in the first. Not with the one big hole that still exists on the OL and purportedly generational talent available there. Wouldn't think there'd be any room for another WR. I think we take one next year if Larry leaves then. We're not benching #11. Kirk showed he can play and deserves to be on the field. We really really need to just give Kyler more time. Our O Line was just adequate last year because of Kyler's mobility, but our skill positions have been upgraded and our line hasn't changed at all. Most-pressured is not the adjective you want for your QB. Not with all the spendy pieces he has to play with now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I know exactly who I'm talking about.

Last two seasons 80+ run stopping grade. Low 40s pass coverage grade.

From The Falcoholic

"Campbell’s started 54 games and has been easily one of the team’s most reliable tacklers. His physicality, athleticism, and prowess against the run make him a very effective early down linebacker, and he’s shown real ability as a pass rusher when the Falcons have asked him to get after the quarterback. Given that he’s young and shouldn’t break the bank, Campbell will have considerable appeal to teams looking for additions at linebacker.

The only real hole in Campbell’s game has been a significant hole for a little while now, though. In coverage, Campbell has struggled to contain opposing tight ends, giving up a 103 passer rating, 799 yards, and 6 touchdowns combined over the past two seasons on 94 total targets. The ability is certainly there for him to improve in that regard, but it’s something you need to be aware of if you’re adding him to your team and asking him to take on coverage duties on a regular basis."

You can wind your neck in now. We just signed a good run stopper who can't cover, like I said.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was outside in a 4-3 and Atlanta had virtually no pass rush.

My point: the idea that he's a two down ILB who'll get pulled for Vallejo is ludicrous.

Seeing as he's known to be poor in coverage why is it unlikely? Because Vance sucks is the only answer.

No smart DC would play him on 3rd down.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's also the type of deal a player signs when he doesn't like the multi-year offers received and decides to bet on himself.

Its the kind of deal someone signs because it's too much money and likely much more than elsewhere

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like the defensive signings we're doing.

All we need is an AVERAGE NFL defense to be a playoff team.

The guys we're bringing in are solid, hard nosed veteran football players. It reminds me of what the Suns tried this off-season, bringing in solid veteran players to replace young failing projects. I think it will work better for the Cardinals because the offense is going to be insane.

I'm still on the Lamb bandwagon. The Texans drafted Hopkins when Andre Johnson was still there. You have to have some overlap.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I never said I didn’t like the signing, I think he has a lot of positives but I just disagree with anyone saying our problems covering TEs are now solved or that he is good in coverage.

He obviously wasn’t covering TEs on every down, I am sure Safeties covered TEs more often than he did in ATL...it is just when he was in coverage he wasn’t particularly good or effective.

I don’t think all our problems are solved at TE either because I think part of the issue is scheme. VJ defenses had issues covering the TE when he was in Denver too. I don’t know why I got caught up into thinking all he was covering was TEs :madarms:. Especially considering he played in the same division as Alvin Kamara and CMC.
Hicks played a lot last season and was a liability in pass coverage. Wouldn’t mind seeing Campbell in Sub packages on 3rd down and 2 minute drills for hicks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson