Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Campbell contract is structured weirdly to save cap.

Its a 5 year deal with 4 voided years

five years, $10M ($6M gtd), $5M signing bonus, salaries $1M (gtd), $1M, $1M, $1M, $1M; $2.5M playtime, playoffs, team achievement incentive in 2021; 2021-24 years void if on roster fifth day after 2020 Super Bowl

So his cap hit for this year is probably 2-3m with 1m or so in dead cap over the 4 years following depending on how much he earns in incentives.
Who are we talking about? I thought Campbell signed for 1 year @ 8m.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

five years, $10M ($6M gtd), $5M signing bonus, salaries $1M (gtd), $1M, $1M, $1M, $1M; $2.5M playtime, playoffs, team achievement incentive in 2021; 2021-24 years void if on roster fifth day after 2020 Super Bowl

So his cap hit for this year is probably 2-3m with 1m or so in dead cap over the 4 years following depending on how much he earns in incentives.

That is a strange contract, I guess creative?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone we have signed is a massive upgrade compared to who we had last year. Thats the best we could hope for.

We have also left ourselves in a position to draft BPA in the draft because most needs have been filled.

I don't think massive is an accurate statement - unless you are referring to Hopkins.

Slight upgrade I think is closer. But a bunch of slight upgrades add up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This feels like they are getting too cute. I hope the NFL doesn't say this is an obvious attempt to circumvent the cap.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This feels like they are getting too cute. I hope the NFL doesn't say this is an obvious attempt to circumvent the cap.

You could also look at it as a 1 year prove it deal with a guy in his prime and we have 10m in dead cap money on these 3 players that could be used next year for him (if he performs).

You must be registered for see images attach

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think massive is an accurate statement - unless you are referring to Hopkins.

Slight upgrade I think is closer. But a bunch of slight upgrades add up.

I think massive to what we had is accurate.

Campbell is massively better than Joe Walker

Kennard is massively better than Marsh

Phillips is massively better than the guys we had rotating last year.

Hopkins is massively better than every WR on our roster at this point in their career (sorry Larry).

All in all, I am very happy with what we have done, and I think it has set up the draft perfectly to take BPA...which is what you should do with a top 10 pick. I hope we are not pressured into taking a RT unless we feel like they are truly the best player available. Murray will be fine for another year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think massive to what we had is accurate.

Campbell is massively better than Joe Walker

Kennard is massively better than Marsh

Phillips is massively better than the guys we had rotating last year.

Hopkins is massively better than every WR on our roster at this point in their career (sorry Larry).

All in all, I am very happy with what we have done, and I think it has set up the draft perfectly to take BPA...which is what you should do with a top 10 pick. I hope we are not pressured into taking a RT unless we feel like they are truly the best player available. Murray will be fine for another year.

Yeah I don't agree.

Phillips I think was a horrible signing, I think he is just another guy who got a bunch of lucky sacks last year. PFF hates him, and watching his video I am not impressed. I actually expect him to be worse than Kerr.

Kennard is slightly better than the combination of Marsh and Suggs - just look at their combined stats they are almost the same.

Campbell might be a lot better than Walker, but I would not call it massive.

Hopkins is a massive improvement - but I already said that.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't agree.

Phillips I think was a horrible signing, I think he is just another guy who got a bunch of lucky sacks last year. PFF hates him, and watching his video I am not impressed. I actually expect him to be worse than Kerr.

worse than Kerr???

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I say draft Troy Dye and and develop him. If Campbell stinks then he is gone and Dye is ready to step in. I think Reddick gets moved to OLB this year to back up Jones & Kennard. That would be good for him as he can focus on rushing the passer which was his strength coming out of Temple before BA thought he would make a great ILB. If Reddick hopes to get another contract he needs to have one hell of a year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yeah I don't agree.

Kennard is slightly better than the combination of Marsh and Suggs - just look at their combined stats they are almost the same.

Campbell might be a lot better than Walker, but I would not call it massive.

Hopkins is a massive improvement - but I already said that.

First you have take into context free agency, the act of picking up players other teams already say are not worth the paycheck and hoping they made mistakes, hence you judge according to those parameters. All these guys signed are young enough to roll the dice, which is better than doing nothing or severely overpaying. To say Phillips is a 'horrible' signing and his sacks all amount to extreme luck (and I do say extreme luck because you said this was horrible) is laughable because luck does not go that far playing on a pro level and he's a freaking DL guy too which is getting close to ten. Let's throw luck in then for the hell of it, then he has about 6 legit sacks which is far from hyperbole horrible

Now you say Kennard is 'slightly' better but to play the stat game out of context you are forced to combine the stats of Marsh and Suggs... which says he is significantly better if you have to take two men to equal one

Campbell is better which might be massive simply because he is more athletic than Walker but let's see how that plays out

Hopkins does not count, that was a trade which can critique off season moves but not when judging the process of signing a free agent

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First you have take into context free agency, the act of picking up players other teams already say are not worth the paycheck and hoping they made mistakes, hence you judge according to those parameters. All these guys signed are young enough to roll the dice, which is better than doing nothing or severely overpaying. To say Phillips is a 'horrible' signing and his sacks all amount to extreme luck (and I do say extreme luck because you said this was horrible) is laughable because luck does not go that far playing on a pro level and he's a freaking DL guy too which is getting close to ten. Let's throw luck in then for the hell of it, then he has about 6 legit sacks which is far from hyperbole horrible

Now you say Kennard is 'slightly' better but to play the stat game out of context you are forced to combine the stats of Marsh and Suggs... which says he is significantly better if you have to take two men to equal one

Campbell is better which might be massive simply because he is more athletic than Walker but let's see how that plays out

Hopkins does not count, that was a trade which can critique off season moves but not when judging the process of signing a free agent

The reason I say he is a horrible signing is because we are paying him 10 million a year. If we were paying him 4 or 5 million I would be ok with signing him. For instance Andrew Billings got signed for 3.5 million - and many consider him a better player. Gerald McCoy got signed for 6 million a year.

Why are we paying a guy 10 million a year based off one fluke of a year, his previous 4 years he was just a rotation DT, then he got cut.

Combining Suggs and Marsh is completely justified, because Marsh barely played till Suggs got cut - then he started.

I did say he was slightly better than the two of them.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can't believe I'll be the one to say it, but this roster is massively improved, from my perspective.

The addition of Hopkins feels like a 3-game swing alone to me. The schedule is favorable. I still have little faith in Justin Murray, whatever is going on at Center, and Kenyan Drake, but the draft can allay those fears. The team really made some favorable additions that I feel set us up to be flexible in the future, but not hopeless in the present.

I had an offseason structure in mind, and this has totally surpassed those considerations.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'll be the one to say it, but this roster is massively improved, from my perspective.

The addition of Hopkins feels like a 3-game swing alone to me. The schedule is favorable. I still have little faith in Justin Murray, whatever is going on at Center, and Kenyan Drake, but the draft can allay those fears. The team really made some favorable additions that I feel set us up to be flexible in the future, but not hopeless in the present.

I had an offseason structure in mind, and this has totally surpassed those considerations.
I feel faint.... lol

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
based on the film I have watched of him, he seems like a natural instinct player. I think we miss an opportunity to sign him do a multi year deal and he will wind up having a great year for us this year but leaving next year

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson