Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Oh, I thought it would save us like $2M or around there? I guess not so that's a good point. I just don't see us re-signing him once his contract is up so I thought it might not be a bad idea to get something for him this off-season but if we're wanting to make a playoff push then it makes sense to keep him for depth at this point.

His salary is guaranteed this season so cutting him only creates dead cap...trading him however would free up over $2 million.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reddick is already here, signed, and on his rookie deal. He knows the team and the system. If his developing skill gives him playing time, great. If not, he's tailor made to be a backup for the moment.
Hicks, Campbell,, and Reddick and other guys still under contract like Gardeck, Turner, and Vallejo will compete for the 4th spot.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first move I'm not crazy about. that's a lot of scratch for a ok LB coming from an atrocious D.

its up to 8.5 so he has to hit incentives. I’m assuming if he hits those it’s probably a good signing.... But everything I’m reading says he’s an underrated really good player..

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Should'nt they have gotten a discount on a 3 yr. deal?!

Too much to put out on a 1 yr. deal. Apparently no one was offering him enough over a longer term deal.

I thought we had less than 15.m left in CAP $$?!

S. Borrow (Athletic): - What’s next? Good question.

It’s unlikely Keim can make any more significant moves in free agency. The website overthecap.com has Arizona with about $15.5 million in cap space after the $8.48 million transition tag cost on Drake and Johnson’s $6 million in dead money. Phillips and Kennard will take another chunk out of that $15 million.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that we are trying to put together a competitive roster made not of old has beens but guys all entering their primes.

Hopkins - 27
Campbell - 26
Kennard - 28
Phillips - 27

Also no injury concerns.

This is a solidly executed plan that doesn't remotely resemble any off season in recent memory

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that we are trying to put together a competitive roster made not of old has beens but guys all entering their primes.

Hopkins - 27
Campbell - 26
Kennard - 28
Phillips - 27

Also no injury concerns.

This is a solidly executed plan that doesn't remotely resemble any off season in recent memory

1000% yes THIS

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Campbell has developed as a player during his four seasons with the Falcons after the team selected him in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft and has started a total of 59 games, including five playoff games. Campbell was the Falcons' leading tackler in both 2019 and 2018, finishing those seasons with 129 and 94 tackles, respectively. He also provides versatility in coverage for Atlanta and is the player the Falcons often like to match up against opposing tight ends.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/report-falcons-de-vondre-campbell-s-agent-have-preliminary-talks
tight end coverage!!!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I liked Campbell coming out of college but he was super raw. Long and athletic LB. I don't know that he is great at anything, but he is good at almost everything. He is similar to Kennard in that he is not much better than league average, but he is a guy who you can depend on to do a job. I think our signings are a great step into upgrading to a league average defense and I expect to see similar results as we saw with our offensive line last year. We won't be the best, but we will definitely not be the worst.

A starting 4 LBs of...

OLB - Chandler Jones
ILB - Jordan Hicks
ILB - DeVondre Campbell
OLB - Devon Kennard

is about as good as a group of LBs as I have seen with the Cardinals. A very versatile group and a step closer to respectability.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at his highlights, I am really liking what I am seeing.

This guy can tackle really well, and is big and fast. I think he will be a huge upgrade over Joe.

Still not sure about his coverage, but I am sure he is a big upgrade.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I could see a trade back and just taking BPA and that might be a WR.

Right now they are plugging every hole they have with either a starter from last year or a free agent.

I am on the Wirfs train but the Kirk / Johnson / Butler / Isabella might all just be replacement level receivers.
I think you're spot on with the replacement level receivers. Doubt it will be Kirk but you just never know how things play out. Hope the other 3 work out. I've been thinking about this ever since we got Hopkins. KK said he just didn't have the players to use 10 personnel much in so many words, during last season. I think he really wants to. He wants to challenge a defense with 4 elite WR's & see what happens because most teams have 2-3 CB's so there's an advantage to gain there. Just a possibility & I know it's crazy but trade down to number 12-13, gain their 2nd round pick & maybe more? Then draft Lamb or Jeudy, even Ruggs. It would be the most lethal WR group in the NFL. Draft an OT with the 2nd round pick we gain. I think Justin Murray has potential & with a full season under Kugler he can possibly reach it. I believe our FO & Kugler are very high on him. Murray is probably still clambering for Lamb even after getting Hopkins & I bet the thought of that type of talent on offense is being discussed by KK & SK. Probably won't happen, I'm not even wanting it to happen but it wouldn't shock me if it does. Imagine the nightmares DC's would have thinking of ways to stop it. I like the balance factor & how KK adapted using TE's but in the back of my mind, I just know how bad he wants 4 badass WR's for 10 personnel.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Consensus for Falcons fans was that he was awful trying to cover TEs. If that’s the case, he’ll fit right in with VJ’s defense.
It's tough to cover all the athletic TEs these days when you have no pass rush like the Falcons. No LB can cover an athletic TE forever. Pass rush isn't a big issue for us thanks to Chandler Jones. From the little I've watched Campbell he moves well in space, much better than Reddick ever will. He is much taller as well. This doesn't mean he is great in coverage, but there is no doubt he will look better than Reddick, Walker or whoever we tried out last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're spot on with the replacement level receivers. Doubt it will be Kirk but you just never know how things play out. Hope the other 3 work out. I've been thinking about this ever since we got Hopkins. KK said he just didn't have the players to use 10 personnel much in so many words, during last season. I think he really wants to. He wants to challenge a defense with 4 elite WR's & see what happens because most teams have 2-3 CB's so there's an advantage to gain there. Just a possibility & I know it's crazy but trade down to number 12-13, gain their 2nd round pick & maybe more? Then draft Lamb or Jeudy, even Ruggs. It would be the most lethal WR group in the NFL. Draft an OT with the 2nd round pick we gain. I think Justin Murray has potential & with a full season under Kugler he can possibly reach it. I believe our FO & Kugler are very high on him. Murray is probably still clambering for Lamb even after getting Hopkins & I bet the thought of that type of talent on offense is being discussed by KK & SK. Probably won't happen, I'm not even wanting it to happen but it wouldn't shock me if it does. Imagine the nightmares DC's would have thinking of ways to stop it. I like the balance factor & how KK adapted using TE's but in the back of my mind, I just know how bad he wants 4 badass WR's for 10 personnel.

It might cause some chaos on draft day for fans but I can see Keim doing something like this... making a strength even stronger.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I liked Campbell coming out of college but he was super raw. Long and athletic LB. I don't know that he is great at anything, but he is good at almost everything. He is similar to Kennard in that he is not much better than league average, but he is a guy who you can depend on to do a job. I think our signings are a great step into upgrading to a league average defense and I expect to see similar results as we saw with our offensive line last year. We won't be the best, but we will definitely not be the worst.

A starting 4 LBs of...

OLB - Chandler Jones
ILB - Jordan Hicks
ILB - DeVondre Campbell
OLB - Devon Kennard

is about as good as a group of LBs as I have seen with the Cardinals. A very versatile group and a step closer to respectability.

I'd like for the Cardinals to draft a young, size/speed guy in the mid rounds to develop at LB.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It might cause some chaos on draft day for fans but I can see Keim doing something like this... making a strength even stronger.
I mean why not? He's already signed players to plug holes on defense, traded for one of the best WR's so why not go get another one in the draft? Larry may not play beyond 2020 so by drafting one you have his future replacement. I know Simmons, Brown, Wirfs or Wills would be hard to pass up but being able to trade down, gain the 2nd round pick back & get Lamb? Just a thought but I'll bet you anything it's being discussed amongst KK, KM, SK & MB.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If we gain a 2nd again it's definately possible. But I don't see it right now. If they pull that off Keim might be crowned valley king! :notworthy:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean why not? He's already signed players to plug holes on defense, traded for one of the best WR's so why not go get another one in the draft? Larry may not play beyond 2020 so by drafting one you have his future replacement. I know Simmons, Brown, Wirfs or Wills would be hard to pass up but being able to trade down, gain the 2nd round pick back & get Lamb? Just a thought but I'll bet you anything it's being discussed amongst KK, KM, SK & MB.

I still prefer to add an offensive lineman or a defensive player but I have no doubt wide receiver is still being discussed if the Cardinals trade down.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They have mentioned it enough on Doug and Wolf that I am certain they have had discussion about it internally and Wolf is playing his draft spoiler role