Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Sounds overall like a decent signing and one that won't hurt us in the long term so I am okay with this move.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
first move I'm not crazy about. that's a lot of scratch for a ok LB coming from an atrocious D.
Yeah, I definitely wonder where this puts us under the cap. A team could definitely put us in a tight spot re-signing Drake. (And yes, I don't like Drake, but with DJ now gone, gotta have someone. Edmonds isn't enough.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consensus for Falcons fans was that he was awful trying to cover TEs. If that’s the case, he’ll fit right in with VJ’s defense.

I was reading the Atlantafalcons.com report mentioned earlier.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
With the FA signings and trades, is it possible that SK actually knows what he's doing? Nah, that can't be it.
Have you seen his drafts? And the overall talent of the team the past 2 years? Keim certainly deserves credit for this offseason, but he's also the reason we've drafted in the top 10 in consecutive drafts.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
Media and ex teammates seem to believe covering TE's is a strength for him while fans of the team think the opposite. I guess we shall see next season for ourselves which one is true.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No effing way WR should be an option. You just drafted three last year and got Hop. Those other three all with talent need to be developed. Drafting a WR would be beyond ludicrous.

I could see a trade back and just taking BPA and that might be a WR.

Right now they are plugging every hole they have with either a starter from last year or a free agent.

I am on the Wirfs train but the Kirk / Johnson / Butler / Isabella might all just be replacement level receivers.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see a trade back and just taking BPA and that might be a WR.

Right now they are plugging every hole they have with either a starter for last year or a free agent.

I am on the Wirfs train but the Kirk / Johnson / Butler / Isabella might all just be replacement level receivers.

It’s got to be OT... They need to protect Murray at all cost.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
25. OLB De’Vondre Campbell, Atlanta Falcons
2019 Salary: $2,166,382

Where he will sign: Philadelphia Eagles

One of the more underrated linebackers in the NFL, De’Vondre Campbell will get his first opportunity to cash in on a big-money deal this offseason. It just makes sense for that money to come out of the Atlanta Falcons’ pockets, right?

Well, in case you weren’t aware, the Falcons don’t exactly have a plethora of cap space to throw around this offseason. In fact, it looks like they’re actually over the 2020 cap at this moment, meaning they’ll need to make some tough decisions and let people walk when March rolls around. That’s why I’m predicting that Campbell won’t return to Atlanta.

Instead, I could see the Philadelphia Eagles scooping him during 2020 NFL free agency. They clearly have a need at linebacker after losing Jordan Hicks last offseason and currently sporting Kamu Grugier-Hill and Nathan Gerry in starting roles. It’s clear an upgrade or two is needed, and Campbell certainly fits the bill.

The Minnesota product is an outstanding athlete who flies around the field, and is a plus pass rusher for a linebacker. Considering all of the areas of concern the Eagles need to address this offseason, it would be a great start to the retooling if they could land Campbell.

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/12/18/nfl-free-agency-2020-predictions-top-25-players/2/

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
25. OLB De’Vondre Campbell, Atlanta Falcons
2019 Salary: $2,166,382

Where he will sign: Philadelphia Eagles

One of the more underrated linebackers in the NFL, De’Vondre Campbell will get his first opportunity to cash in on a big-money deal this offseason. It just makes sense for that money to come out of the Atlanta Falcons’ pockets, right?

Well, in case you weren’t aware, the Falcons don’t exactly have a plethora of cap space to throw around this offseason. In fact, it looks like they’re actually over the 2020 cap at this moment, meaning they’ll need to make some tough decisions and let people walk when March rolls around. That’s why I’m predicting that Campbell won’t return to Atlanta.

Instead, I could see the Philadelphia Eagles scooping him during 2020 NFL free agency. They clearly have a need at linebacker after losing Jordan Hicks last offseason and currently sporting Kamu Grugier-Hill and Nathan Gerry in starting roles. It’s clear an upgrade or two is needed, and Campbell certainly fits the bill.

The Minnesota product is an outstanding athlete who flies around the field, and is a plus pass rusher for a linebacker. Considering all of the areas of concern the Eagles need to address this offseason, it would be a great start to the retooling if they could land Campbell.

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/12/18/nfl-free-agency-2020-predictions-top-25-players/2/

this write up def makes me optimistic

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Media and ex teammates seem to believe covering TE's is a strength for him while fans of the team think the opposite. I guess we shall see next season for ourselves which one is true.

Maybe scheme change and moving him inside permanently will help him more in coverage...Doesn't look like he was super awesome with pass rush, so Cards can just take that off his plate and let him concentrate on inside LB.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice addition, probably playing in a bad defense plagued with injuries didn't help him, but he still 26, is 1 year deal so I'm sure I will do his best to get a long term contract next season

*He ran 4.58 at combine

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
6 '3 1/2" 234 lbs. Age 26. 4.58 40yd
Over 900 snaps played each of the last 3 years. No games missed.
315 tackles in the last 3 years.

Seems large, athletic/fast, willing and aggressive tackler. May not be the best 'cover man' but is a prototype ILB.

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
I would normally agree with you but somebody pointed out yesterday that cutting him saves us no money on the cap. So I don’t really see the point.

Oh, I thought it would save us like $2M or around there? I guess not so that's a good point. I just don't see us re-signing him once his contract is up so I thought it might not be a bad idea to get something for him this off-season but if we're wanting to make a playoff push then it makes sense to keep him for depth at this point.