Cardinals' Roster Prediction: Week 3

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (4): Leinart, Anderson, Skelton, Hall

The future seems more important than the present at this point, and after Max Hall's nifty, albeit inconsistent, performance on national tv no less, there is a risk that he might get claimed off waivers.

Hall has the feet and vision that the others lack. Simple as that. And he can deliver the ball, too.

Leinart looks numb. Anderson looks panicky. Neither set up well at all. In fact, Anderson's setup is just plain awful. He's just winging it...playing hot potato...no poise.

Funny that Whiz has basically frozen Leinart thus far: did not let the offense go for it on 4th and short on 2 of ML's 3 series...yet Whiz sticks with Anderson for almost two whole quarters...and goes for it on 4th and short with Anderson in the game.

Whiz looked excited when Anderson first went in and the ball was moving.

But then, despite a couple of good passes, Anderson played like an awestruck rookie in the red zone and then basically lapsed into goofiness.

It looks like his signing was just as we all feared: a poor football decision made by a team that had multiple opportunities to make a move for a viable contender at QB.

It looks like it will be Leinart or bust and to this point we have no idea what ML will do. The scrutiny on him is relentless...and will persist if he remains a three and out machine.

RB (4): Hightower, Wells, Stephens-Howling, Wright

The Titans did the Cardinals the best favor possible by blitzing like madmen almost every play...because, guess what? This is what every team is going to do to the Cardinals...for 2 reasons:

1) It stifles and disprupts the running game...as we saw tonight where it was hard to even advance the ball back to the l.o.s.

2) It forces erratic QBs like ML and DA make super quick decisions.

This is one of the many reasons why Warner was so good...teams were loathe to blitz him because they knew he'd find the hot reads with great skill.

Why Wells is still running behind the 2nd string line well into the second half is a total head scratcher. If he gets hurt...imagine what the outcry would be.

LSH and Wright were the bright spots tonight...albeit short and quick ones. Wright made a good STs tackle as well. And LSH made a great open field tackle on the interception. Made me wonder whether he could play nickel safety.

FB (1): Broughton.

Didn't see Mauia...and even though Broughton played...didn't see much from him either, although he had to pick up first sign of color all night (closest blitzer) and didn't do it well.

TE (3): Patrick, Becht, Spach.

Not a great unit but it's pretty well settled.

WR (5): Fitzgerald, Breaston, Doucet, Williams, Roberts.

Komar is knocking on the door. That kid has been very good...not as flashy good as Williams, who made the longest catch of the night again and is now a lock to make the team.

OL (9): Brown, Faneca, Sendelin, Lutui, Bridges, Keith, Hadnot, Wells, Johnson.

Wells got schooled and tooled...as did Levi Brown and Keith...time to change the right side, IMO, to Lutui and Bridges. Keith may need more time. Wells is just not physical enough...not for this offense.

Too bad there's now too much bad tape on Wells...the team might have gotten something for him in a trade to an o-line desperate team like the Patriots.

NT (2): Watson, Williams (my choices here---the Cardinals will go with B-Rob, no doubt...and get no push up the middle).

B-Rob does so little out there...it's a joke that the team's first round pick, Dan Williams does not get into the game until late in the second half.

Bill Davis cannot and will not coach up rookies and assimilate them into the defense...This defense should rock people and they don't finish much of anything...and once again WRs and TEs were wide open...gee, I guess Davis didn't want to show anything different...like showing his team could finally cover and tackle this year.

Funny that a total surprise like Stephen Williams is already playing early in games and finding a niche in the offense...and on the flip side, Dan Williams and Daryl Washington don't look any closer to playing more this week than they did last week when they were second halfers.

DE (4): Dockett, Campbell, Iwebema, Branch

Iwebema is excellent! Branch made one good play...took a few off and then should be fined for totally giving up on the TD run to his side where he got pushed wide like a bureau on wheels and stopped trying as the RB ran right past him.

ILB (4): Togafau, Lenon, Washington, Walker

Togafau was one of the only bright spots...he's playing hard and tough. Lenon was poor...Washington was missing in action this week and Walker still hasn't been able to play, but may still be favored by the coaches.

It's totally unrealistic to think that Gerald Hayes can get healed and be in shape to play early in this season.

OLB (5): Haggans, Porter, Davis, Baggs, Brown

Haggans, Porter and Baggs made some good plays from the edge...got abused on a few too. We should be seeing much more from Will Davis and Cody Brown...but besides an occasional assist on a ST tackle, not much at all from either Davis or Brown. The team needs another good edge rusher...but it will be hard to find one off waivers especially when the Cardinals have 25 teams in front of them to make and be awarded claims.

CB (6): Rodgers-Cromartie, Toler, Adams, McBride, Miller (STs), Green (STs)

This unit was slow and behind all night, save DRC who they avoided and Adams who made the best breakup of the night. Green remained excellent on STs.

S (4): Wilson, Rhodes, Ware, Johnson

Ware's missed tackle at the goal-line epitomized the Cardinals' defensive effort in this game. Rhodes was the only player in this unit who looked good...he and Abdullah who may be advancing hard on Ware.

ST (3): Feeley, Graham, Leach

Feeley looked stronger...Graham botched a very good snap which was unusual...but it was that kind of night.

PS (8): RB-Smith; FB-Mauia; WR-Komar; TE-Dray; T-Pestock; LB-Johnson; CB-Jefferson; CB-Calvin;

Jefferson played well this week...he's such a good athlete.

Even though Matt Leinart himself was saying this is the pre-season...the disparity of how the Cardinals played tonight and how the 49ers played last night is sizeable.

It's so frustrating to think that the Cardinals are $15M under last year's salary cap and have left themselves so vulnerable and uncompetitive at some key positions.

It's frustrating too to think that this performance tonight came at the end of a week where pracgtice was canceled in favor of going to the movies. After last week's first half no-show, the moveis should have been out of the question.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB (4): Leinart, Anderson, Skelton, Hall

It's frustrating too to think that this performance tonight came at the end of a week where pracgtice was canceled in favor of going to the movies. After last week's first half no-show, the moveis should have been out of the question.

You keep saying this and it doesn't make any less sense each and every time you say it. Who did you expect them to sign? There was nobody available to spend that money on Mitch. Would you be happier if they just gave guys like Michael Adams a huge raise just to fill up salary space?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
You keep saying this and it doesn't make any less sense each and every time you say it. Who did you expect them to sign? There was nobody available to spend that money on Mitch. Would you be happier if they just gave guys like Michael Adams a huge raise just to fill up salary space?

I was all for sending a 3rd round pick to the Redskins for Jason Campbell. As it turns out we may have been able to trade for Donovan McNabb...do you think the Eagles would have rather traded him outside of the NFC East?

It's unthinkable to me that the Cardinals have put themselves in this position...not only at QB...at ILB...at CB...and at nickel LDE (hopefully Baggs can be the guy...not sure at this point iof he can versus starters).

There's not one team in the NFL who fears our offense now. And teams are licking their chops at the vulnerabilities on defense.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch, I love ya brother but, you bring a whole new definition to the darkside!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Stephen Williams looks for the ball outside like he was supposed to, Leinart has a totally different evening in regards to production. He made quick decisions, and delivered the ball pretty accurately. He wasn't impressive, but he played like a professional QB. Leinart missed Fitz/Doucet in this game more than you would think. There just isn't much chemistry in regards to the rest of the receivers.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I love ya brother but, you bring a whole new definition to the darkside!

Sorry, O. I hear you. I don't like feeling this way...but...

This isn't just a reaction to tonight.

I am shocked that Whiz of all coaches would have approved of going into this season with ML and DA as #1 and #2.

He's going to have to make a playmaker out of one of them...and right now, your guess is as good as mine.

Leinart is too slow to react and too tentative to begin with. And Anderson is just a chucker. I thought last week it was just the jitters...but no. He just wants to get rid of that ball as fast as he can, no matter what. Look at the wide open TD he overthrew. Grandma Moses could have made that pass. And this is from a 5 year veteran and one time Pro Bowler?

I thought he would at least be tough in the pocket...but I am not sure who is more scared in there, Leinart or Anderson.

Max Hall did not play scared or panicky or tentative.

That's the most encouraging sign.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Leinart is too slow to react and too tentative to begin with.

Max Hall did not play scared or panicky or tentative.

First, Leinart did react quickly and made solid decisions with the football. He didn't make plays down the field, but he also was playing without his #1 and #3 wide receivers. Did you see any of his rookie wide receivers breaking off their routes in recognition of the blitz? You didn't because they didn't. If Williams looks for that pass on the outside, where it was thrown, it is a completion and Leinart's night is totally different. Williams made a rookie mistake and cost the Cardinals and Leinart a big play.

Secondly, the int that Hall threw from his back foot into coverage was the definition of panicky. I liked his moxie as much as the next guy, but lets take into account his whole performance.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
If Stephen Williams looks for the ball outside like he was supposed to, Leinart has a totally different evening in regards to production. He made quick decisions, and delivered the ball pretty accurately. He wasn't impressive, but he played like a professional QB. Leinart missed Fitz/Doucet in this game more than you would think. There just isn't much chemistry in regards to the rest of the receivers.

Chopper...Williams had no chance on that throw. Williams ran a go and Matt threw a fade. Mixup, perhaps.

Fitz wouldn't even have caught that pass.

But, when you look at the replay, this is what Leinart does, he lofts the ball up to a spot where he thinks the WR will be...and he doesn't really even look to see where the WR is.

What looks very troubling to me based on both games...the offense seems to perk up when Leinart leaves...

Did you notice Alan Faneca rushing over to pick Anderson up every time he got knocked down?

The offense looks sluggish and unemotional with Leinart in there. There's very little spirit. Matt doesn't generate much himself...but the others are following suit...they look unenthused.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
First, Leinart did react quickly and made solid decisions with the football. He didn't make plays down the field, but he also was playing without his #1 and #3 wide receivers. Did you see any of his rookie wide receivers breaking off their routes in recognition of the blitz? You didn't because they didn't. If Williams looks for that pass on the outside, where it was thrown, it is a completion and Leinart's night is totally different. Williams made a rookie mistake and cost the Cardinals and Leinart a big play.

Secondly, the int that Hall threw from his back foot into coverage was the definition of panicky. I liked his moxie as much as the next guy, but lets take into account his whole performance.

OK--Matt was being pressured...but the bottom line is, Chopper, he had three three-and-outs. Very much like last week. Not all his fault...I think we all agree...but there is a noticable rise in spirit and energy when Anderson is in the game...too bad that Anderson hasn't fully captialized on that, and I thought he hurt his case tonight after it seemed certainh he was making his case when he started moving the sticks, unlike Lienart.

Hall tried to convert a 3rd and 17 and made a typical mistake...trying to force the ball to keep the drive going...and he did it trying to throw the deep fade to the slowest WR (Moughey) too.

Look, Hall was not perfect out there...but aside from the int and a couple of errant throws his play and his playmaking was darned good for a rookie in his first game.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chopper...Williams had no chance on that throw. Williams ran a go and Matt threw a fade. Mixup, perhaps.

Fitz wouldn't even have caught that pass.

But, when you look at the replay, this is what Leinart does, he lofts the ball up to a spot where he thinks the WR will be...and he doesn't really even look to see where the WR is.

The funny thing is thats exactly what Warner did. He admitted several times that some of his turnovers were a result of throwing to spots and not to the WRs.

Its not just the QB that has to read the blitz. WRs have to do it as well. In this case it seems like he ran the wrong route. Not a huge deal since he was a rook making his first start

What looks very troubling to me based on both games...the offense seems to perk up when Leinart leaves...

Did you notice Alan Faneca rushing over to pick Anderson up every time he got knocked down?

The offense looks sluggish and unemotional with Leinart in there. There's very little spirit. Matt doesn't generate much himself...but the others are following suit...they look unenthused.

Its preseason. The games mean abolutely nothing nada zip zilch zero. Its difficult for the offense to get pumped up for that. There's no gameplan and caoch Whiz just wants to keep everyone healthy.

Alan Faneca and the rest of the Oline didn't pick up Matt as they were too busy looking for their jock straps as they were absolutley owned by the Titans first team D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a completely baseless theory for you.

Whiz is hiding Leinart. It's all a trick. Convince the league ML is nothing and then unleash him on the league. Hollywood Matt is doing a masterful acting job playing along with this.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I thought the whole team looked sluggish on both sides of the ball compared to the Titans. It appeared that they were just going through the motions.

When are first cuts due?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought the whole team looked sluggish on both sides of the ball compared to the Titans. It appeared that they were just going through the motions.

I thought the same thing and was wondering if they had "tired legs" from something the team had done. They just did not look as quick as they did against the Texans.

Maybe a difference in playing surface?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Wells starts and stays at RG, that side of the OL is going to be an issue all year. Keith will have some growing pains and that can be lived as long as he's improving. But, having Wells over there with him is a disaster.

I watched Big Baby Johnson last night and he doesn't look quick enough to handle any kind of speed rush. I know the Cards like him as a tackle but guard seems to be the position he's better suited for. I think the Cards best OL to start the season may be Brown, Faneca, Sendlein, Lutui, and Wells at RT. Wells played RT earlier in his career and from what I remember did alright. I would have that as my starting 5 with Keith, Hadnot, Bridges the reserves. Johnson is definitely on the bubble.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
We can't upgrade Matt Leinert without a top 10 starter. He was 8-11 and the best starting offensive performer we have. Who out played him at any position from the starters. He got the ball out quick, stood in and took the hits, made great decisions.
He is right on track for a great sophmore season.

The Bean should be starting this 3rd game, If He gains more than 3 yards in 5 carries He beat out THT. period. The Bean's drop off in blocking is minimal and I've never seen Beanie drop a catchable ball in the NFL? even from the WR position last year.
There was no hole on one play and Beanie laid his shoulder inthere hard trying to make one and not take negative yards.
FEED THE BEAN

undrafted FA WR Williams went inside as Matt threw outside on 3rd down and 1. yea he had a step but went the wrong way. if thats the worse we see from Matt then the big stupids on ESPN can find another hobby besides kicking Leinert in the teeth.

DBYRD is one of the better playmakers on this team, explosive catches last preseason we need 2 blocking TE's and DBRYD to get better at blocking tE and H back. He is a weapon as a pass catcher.

Fitz is Fitz, elite and getting better, Breaston learned about the yard marker and that He aint Q that can overpower for a yard to make it up. Fitz and Duocett was on the bench, HMM makes Matt's 4-6 look even better, Blitzes, THT's dancing and all.

I don't know about the roster, whiz is as unpredictable as DD, THt is still starting and Beanie hasn't got a chance with the first team in power formations.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Some great considerations Mitch, good read.

Anderson is horrible, I knew that already and it was a big mistake signing him, but I had no clue he was that bad. Plenty of elementary stuff that he just can't handle. Jason Campbell should have been the signing.

Leinart was playing like usual, nothing new there. Protecting the ball, never attacking, not commanding, not leading. There is no spirit and inspiration in his game. It does not result in many turnovers, but just as few points, if any. His team can only win a SB with the best defense in the game. And in that case, any other QB can win as well. He plays with fear and not like a leader.

Hall shows alot of promise and the most important lesson is that he plays without fear and is not afraid to expose his mistakes. Good vision and understanding and intensity. Lots of potential there, loved the signing after the draft. As crazy as it might sounds, I'd play him alot rest of the preseason, and if he continues to play that well, name him the starter. I don't see any future in Leinart and Anderson. Hall will struggle for sure, but at least there is a slight chance of big succes down the road. He has shown some skills essential and rare for the position. No matter who starts, we are going to struggle at QB IMO. The best man should start, it's how it should be at any position. And right now, Anderson is by far the worst, while Leinart, Skelton and Hall are still in the mix for the best QB of the preseason. Those three should see alot of time on the field rest of the preseason, while Anderson should be cut. In that way we can keep both Hall and Skelton on the roster. Let the best man win.

Losing Warner hurts in many other ways. No more of the brilliant no-huddle and passing shows. Hightower's special skills, outstanding blocking and recieving, are no longer that special in this kind of offense. Suddenly, Wells has some skills that are more useful. If we can't make a show passing the football, we have a chance by running it. Hightower will not get so much time on the field this year. In beginning, maybe yes, but less and less as season goes on. He is a complete back IMO, but only next to a certain type of QB. In this offense unfortunately, he is a very bad fit.

Defense is horrible. Playcalling is the issue and it has been for a long time. But we will see some more man to man packages hopefully. Actually, liked some plays from Dan Williams, he was pursuiting well along the line, but I need to rewatch the game in much more detail.

I don't have high hopes for this season. The only chance of some significant success is by running the ball. Let the best runblockers start along the O-Line and let's play physical. Wells is done. I would like to see this line and run the ball alot: Levi-Faneca-Sandlein-Lutui-Keith... We could make some daylight for Beanie and take some time of the clock...The defense will need that

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jurecki was (re?)reporting this afternoon that there were coaches on staff who desperately wanted to sign Marc Bulger, even after the draft. The front office said they had to play with the hand they've built.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jurecki was (re?)reporting this afternoon that there were coaches on staff who desperately wanted to sign Marc Bulger, even after the draft. The front office said they had to play with the hand they've built.
Watched him play in the Ravens game over the weekend. Looked decent and had a nice touch on the ball.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Bulger has big problems, mainly he's so beat up from playing behind a bad o line that on our team he would die behind our line and probably dig a foxhole to save himself back there.

Stop dissing Matt as some complete failure when he hasn't started a game yet, one long TD to Fitz and a win and his entire mojo could come back.

I predict that a ton will ride on how he does in the first two games, if we get a lead of a couple TD's he might just evolve out of his shell and that's all it would take, he has all the knowledge and the tools he needs.

I don't know what he'll do but this negative crud is beyond belief about the guy, if he flames out so does our season, try the glass half full strategy because honestly it's not that bad yet.

He's going to be blitzed to death IMO, that's an opportunity, Whiz knows this, if all our starters are on the field I expect the big plays will come.

It'll all be over relatively fast, either he beats the blitz and moves on or he'll die behind our line and our season will crumble.

Either way we'll know finally.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bulger has big problems, mainly he's so beat up from playing behind a bad o line that on our team he would die behind our line and probably dig a foxhole to save himself back there.

Stop dissing Matt as some complete failure when he hasn't started a game yet, one long TD to Fitz and a win and his entire mojo could come back.

I predict that a ton will ride on how he does in the first two games, if we get a lead of a couple TD's he might just evolve out of his shell and that's all it would take, he has all the knowledge and the tools he needs.

I don't know what he'll do but this negative crud is beyond belief about the guy, if he flames out so does our season, try the glass half full strategy because honestly it's not that bad yet.

He's going to be blitzed to death IMO, that's an opportunity, Whiz knows this, if all our starters are on the field I expect the big plays will come.

It'll all be over relatively fast, either he beats the blitz and moves on or he'll die behind our line and our season will crumble.

Either way we'll know finally.
This.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Roster

Mitch, great job as usual. Here's where I agree, disagree or have questions:
By my count you have 26 offensive players and 25 defensive players, which puts us one over the fifty count, assuming three ST guys. Maybe I just didn't read the position by position breakdown close enough.

QB-Looks like we'll go with four, since Hall played so well on Monday, I doubt they think they can get him through waivers. Team knew that Skelton was raw, but seems to have the tools to develop into a good NFL QB. If DA doesn't show significant progress this week, I'm all for cuting him, but I doubt that will happen.

RB-Agree.
FB-I have no idea whether #32 or #45 is playing better, but I'll go with your take.

WR-Top four are set and I see Jones, Roberts and Komar fighting it out for the last spot. If we go with three QB's then I could see six WR's. Roberts being a draftee would seem to give him an edge, but by not being able to play Saturday (an assumption) opes the door for the other two.

TE-I'm picking a surprise and saying we cut Becht and keep Dray. I know Becht is our best blocker, but just a hunch that the team thinks he's losing it.

OL-Agree.

Total (26)

NT/DL-Agree.

ILB-Togafu cut, and Hayes or a WW player makes four.
OLB-While I agree, I think that Brown is squarely on the bubble and must show more in the next two weeks. Baggs, imo, is ahead of him.

CB-Five instead of six. DRC, Toler, McBride, Green/Adams and Calvin. If they think they can get Calvin through waivers, then they keep Green and Adams. The Green/Adams battle is speed vs. experience. Personally I like Calvin's size and speed, even though he's very raw.

S-Agree. But I wouldn't be surprised if Abdulah beats out Johnson.

Total (24)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just can't see any of our 1st or 2nd year players drafted in the 4th rd or higher getting cut. Buster Davis was an exception because of a crappy attitude. C. Brown, R. Johnson, A. Roberts will NOT get cut this year.

I would be a bit suprised if big Herm is cut even though he is in Whis's and Lott's doghouse.

A Dub spoke fairly highly of Marshay Green and AJ Jefferson during the Big Red Rage show when asked which rookies had caught his eye.

Leinart will be the starter. DA is not getting cut. Whis sees something in him and wants time to coach him up.

I'd be a bit suprised if we keep 4 QB's, can't think of a team that has done that in recent years.

As always Mitch, appreciate the effort and thoughts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, great job as usual. Here's where I agree, disagree or have questions:
By my count you have 26 offensive players and 25 defensive players, which puts us one over the fifty count, assuming three ST guys. Maybe I just didn't read the position by position breakdown close enough.

QB-Looks like we'll go with four, since Hall played so well on Monday, I doubt they think they can get him through waivers. Team knew that Skelton was raw, but seems to have the tools to develop into a good NFL QB. If DA doesn't show significant progress this week, I'm all for cuting him, but I doubt that will happen.

RB-Agree.
FB-I have no idea whether #32 or #45 is playing better, but I'll go with your take.

WR-Top four are set and I see Jones, Roberts and Komar fighting it out for the last spot. If we go with three QB's then I could see six WR's. Roberts being a draftee would seem to give him an edge, but by not being able to play Saturday (an assumption) opes the door for the other two.

TE-I'm picking a surprise and saying we cut Becht and keep Dray. I know Becht is our best blocker, but just a hunch that the team thinks he's losing it.

OL-Agree.

Total (26)

NT/DL-Agree.

ILB-Togafu cut, and Hayes or a WW player makes four.
OLB-While I agree, I think that Brown is squarely on the bubble and must show more in the next two weeks. Baggs, imo, is ahead of him.

CB-Five instead of six. DRC, Toler, McBride, Green/Adams and Calvin. If they think they can get Calvin through waivers, then they keep Green and Adams. The Green/Adams battle is speed vs. experience. Personally I like Calvin's size and speed, even though he's very raw.

S-Agree. But I wouldn't be surprised if Abdulah beats out Johnson.

Total (24)

You get 53 on the active roster, not 50.