Cardinals' Roster Prediction: Week 3

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd be a bit suprised if we keep 4 QB's, can't think of a team that has done that in recent years.

Especially since the trend over the last five years a growing trend, is teams only keeping 2 QB's on the 53 man roster.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
You get 53 on the active roster, not 50.

I think he just did a typo. His overall premise is correct though.

26 O players, 25 D players, 3 ST players = 54 players on Mitch's roster prediction.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Especially since the trend over the last five years a growing trend, is teams only keeping 2 QB's on the 53 man roster.

Great point. Do you have any idea how many teams went with 2 QB's on the 53 roster?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Great point. Do you have any idea how many teams went with 2 QB's on the 53 roster?

No exact numbers, but although its a growing trend it still should be noted that it still an idea that is in the minority.

It might also not be an idea to keep more players at other positions, it could just be because of the crappy QB's coming out of college the last 5 years or so. There might not be enough QB's good enough to even justify a 3rd QB on every team in the league.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No exact numbers, but although its a growing trend it still should be noted that it still an idea that is in the minority.

It might also not be an idea to keep more players at other positions, it could just be because of the crappy QB's coming out of college the last 5 years or so. There might not be enough QB's good enough to even justify a 3rd QB on every team in the league.

I would think if a team only has 2 QB's on the roster that they would have 1 on the PS.

As important as the QB position is I would always want a youngin being developed. Maybe there would be stories like Tom Brady and Kurt Warner if there was a better system in place.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
TE (3): Patrick, Becht, Spach.

Not a great unit but it's pretty well settled.

Since Cincinnati drafted Gresham, I would love if the Cardinals tried to acquire Chase Coffman. While not the blocker, he's got the hands that would be perfect for Leinart to easily find.

I know Warner didn't go to the TE often, but I would think Matt's style would preclude him finding the TE more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would only carry 2. There are QB's on the street every year (or trades) that can fill in every year that are waiting for a call. Same reason why I would only carry one kicker.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dreamcast, my fifty number only includes offense and defense. I'm assuming the three ST's will be added making up the 53 total number. Sorry for the confusion.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would only carry 2. There are QB's on the street every year (or trades) that can fill in every year that are waiting for a call. Same reason why I would only carry one kicker.

Yeah that kind of backfired the last time the Cardinals only carried 2 QB's. I say bad idea. A QB can't just come in and instantly run a complicated NFL offense. A kicker on the other hand does the same thing on every team. It's a totally different aninmal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that kind of backfired the last time the Cardinals only carried 2 QB's. I say bad idea. A QB can't just come in and instantly run a complicated NFL offense. A kicker on the other hand does the same thing on every team. It's a totally different aninmal.

Rattay was just as good as any 3rd QB you would have on a roster. How did it backfire?

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree.. Signing McNabb would have made us instant contenders and a legit threat on offense. His feet and deep passing game would have opened the run lanes for TH and Beanie.

And again everyone saying 56% completion rate to 66% is 3 passes in 30 passes...19.7 to 16.8...guys that isnt enough to cry about. And when the 56% passer throws 3 good deep balls....its worth the lower rate.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I just can't see any of our 1st or 2nd year players drafted in the 4th rd or higher getting cut. Buster Davis was an exception because of a crappy attitude. C. Brown, R. Johnson, A. Roberts will NOT get cut this year.

I'm not disagreeing with you but do you all really think that A. Roberts is safe (serious question)? It's way early but he can't do the simple things (catch the ball, properly call for fair catches) at WR or as a PR. Some here think he had a good game on Monday but I thought he was still sketchy. He made what looked to be a good catch but he clearly bobbled it (should have been an easy grab). On a punt return, he ran right into his blocker. To make things worse for him, S. Williams and M. Komar are clearly outplaying him. I just really wonder if he's a lock to make the 53 like most think he is?

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you but do you all really think that A. Roberts is safe (serious question)? It's way early but he can't do the simple things (catch the ball, properly call for fair catches) at WR or as a PR. Some here think he had a good game on Monday but I thought he was still sketchy. He made what looked to be a good catch but he clearly bobbled it (should have been an easy grab). On a punt return, he ran right into his blocker. To make things worse for him, S. Williams and M. Komar are clearly outplaying him. I just really wonder if he's a lock to make the 53 like most think he is?

He is. No one else on the team can field punts. I don't think that Komar is everything. We found a way to live without Lance Long, we can find a way to live without Max Komar.

This team tried desperately to find a punt returner to keep Steve Breaston off special teams last year. They couldn't do it.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
He is. No one else on the team can field punts. I don't think that Komar is everything. We found a way to live without Lance Long, we can find a way to live without Max Komar.

This team tried desperately to find a punt returner to keep Steve Breaston off special teams last year. They couldn't do it.

Well, he better start improving in all facets because he's a liability right now, including as a PR. He's young and is a rookie but our first game is 2 1/2 weeks away. Further, Doucet seems to always be injured so it would be nice if Roberts can start catching the football.

I realize I'm being a bit harsh but he better start doing the simple things if he's taking up a roster spot. As you said, I'd hate for Breaston (or DRC for that matter) to have to start returning punts again.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well, he better start improving in all facets because he's a liability right now, including as a PR. He's young and is a rookie but our first game is 2 1/2 weeks away. Further, Doucet seems to always be injured so it would be nice if Roberts can start catching the football.

I realize I'm being a bit harsh but he better start doing the simple things if he's taking up a roster spot. As you said, I'd hate for Breaston (or DRC for that matter) to have to start returning punts again.

I don't know. Is he that much worse that Jerramy Urban was? He bobbled some passes. I don't personally think so. It seems like Andre is probably going to go into the season as a punt returner and the 5th WR behind Stephen Williams. I don't really have a problem with that.

Doucet could play if Whis didn't want to ensure that everyone was healthy heading into the regular season. Fitz could as well. Whis wants to make sure that if he has to yank Leinart in the first quarter of the season, there's no excuses about a lack of personnel.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Justin Miller. He did it last game.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
That's true, but would Justin Miller earn a roster spot otherwise? I don't think he can play cornerback really.

Might be a dumb question but why don't we give LSH more of a look at PR?? He might be the best on the team with the football in his hands.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but why don't we give LSH more of a look at PR?? He might be the best on the team with the football in his hands.

Because he can't catch punts. The Cards tried him there last training camp and he was dreadful.

Our PRs last year were Breaston and Rolle. We didn't want either of those guys on special teams last year.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Because he can't catch punts. The Cards tried him there last training camp and he was dreadful.

Our PRs last year were Breaston and Rolle. We didn't want either of those guys on special teams last year.

I guess I vaguely remmeber that now. IIRC, we had like 6 guys try out at PR last camp and no one could do it.

Weird that a guy can catch kickoffs but not punts. Must be too much pressure w/ guys bearing down on him.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's true, but would Justin Miller earn a roster spot otherwise? I don't think he can play cornerback really.

Given, he's not much of a CB, but quite dynamic in the return game. May be a surprise inclusion to the final 53.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I see that K9 has already responded but I would like to add one more point.

I recall several posts about how many balls AR has dropped and fans frustrated with all the drops in the 1st preseason game. What seems to be lost on just about everyone is that he was getting open. He had 10 or more balls thrown his way and he was open everytime. Now that tells me he can run routes and has a feel for finding the open spots in zones. AR did not have the dropsies in college so it is just a matter of time before he gets over his rookie nerves etc and hangs onto the ball.

Most WR's don't contribute much in their 1st year, it takes some time to develop them. 1 preseason is not enough time to evaluate a 3rd rd draft pick at the WR position.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Marshay Green can play CB and field punts. Made a nice fair catch in traffic Monday night. Green could even play WR if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player