Cardinals' QB Criteria

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This week Steve Wilks described what the Cardinals are looking for in a QB:

"We are looking for a very smart and intelligent guy. A guy that is going to come in and command, not only the huddle, but that side of the ball and the locker room. A competitor. A guy who loves to compete. A guy who has that kind of DNA."

It will be very interesting to see what QB Steve Wilks is referring to.

Ben Volin, who is an excellent Boston Globe football writer, offered his QB predictions in today's Sunday Globe.

Here's his take:

Jets---Kirk Cousins

Bronocs---A.J. McCarron on a one year deal, plus a high draft pick.

Bills---Tyrod Taylor for the final year on his contract and a high draft pick.

Browns---a high draft pick.

Saints---Drew Brees.

Vikings---Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater.

Eagles---Carson Wentz and Nick Foles.

Cardinals---Sam Bradford (whom Volin called the ultimate "placeholder") and a high draft pick.

My question to you this morning: Does, in your opinion, San Bradford meet the QB criteria that Steve Wilks explicated?

Furthermore--which QBs in the draft meet Wilks' criteria?

According to Mike Jurecki---the Cardinals are interested in 7 QBs in the draft:

Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Josh Allen
Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson

Mason Rudolph
Kyle Lauletta

I have bolded the QBs mentioned above as being, imo, the closest fits to Wilks' QB criteria.

I am hesitating to put the bold on Sam Bradford. I think he checks most of the boxes, but I am not sure that he is a galvanizing, charismatic presence on the field and in the locker room. I think he is well respected for his talent---but he has never quite struck me as a strong leader. But, maybe I am missing something. Maybe, as was the case with Keenum and Foles, the perceptions of him could be tainted by his years with the Rams and compounded by all the injuries he's had to battle through.

What do you think about Bradford?

When healthy and dialed in, Bradford can sling it, big-time. Love the talent.

I think that Josh McCown is perhaps a stronger, more charismatic leader, but obviously not quite the talent that Bradford is. if the Cardinals are intent with signing a "placeholder," would McCown be a better fit than Bradford?

Could Bradford actually seize the job and be the QB for the next few years?

As for the QBs in the draft---Darnold strikes me as a very strong student of the game and a solid leader. Rosen is a masterful technician, but comes across as precocious and entitled, which if continued, will not go over well in an NFL locker room. Allen is much like McCown, imo. He has an affable, upbeat demeanor and is highly competitive, but inconsistent production-wise. Mayfield is an alpha---no question about that---he checks all the boxes, but has bouts of immaturity which, if he manifests on an NFL team, might turn off the veterans. Jackson has a quite confidence and charisma. He wins everyone's respect by how hard he competes and how tough he is. Rudolph is a bit of an enigma. He looks the part one minute and looks tentative the next. But he is highly productive and he battles back from mistakes the way Carson Palmer did. Lauletta turned heads in Mobile with his take charge attitude. He plays with passion and good energy, but may have the most challenging transition from a small school to the NFL. But, hey, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo and Jimmy Garoppolo managed the transition just fine.

Man, the way Steve Wilks was talking I thought he was describing Drew Brees to a tee. Could Drew Brees be in play here? There were rumors a couple of years ago that Brees had expressed interest in the Cardinals as a team he would like to play for if he ever moved on. Could you imagine how elated Cardinals' coaches, players and fans would be if they managed to sign Drew Brees? Larry Fitzgerald might rush in and sign a new 3 year contract if that happened.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I watched a lot of Sam B with the Rams & he absolutely has the leadership & charisma to lead a team. Imo he is the most talented of the FA QB's. I would sign him & draft either of Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rudolph, or Lauletta.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
But Bradford is ALWAYS injured. When was the last time he has played an entire season?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sam wants to be a starter (not guaranteed in Minny).

He will have to sign a short term contract due to injuries.

I think this would be a great signing for us. He is a better than average starter (when healthy), won't cost us any draft capital, he is only 30 (could play for several more seasons), and we could also groom a QBOF behind him.

We know he is unlikely to play 16 games (unless his last knee surgery actually fixed the issue), so having a reliable back-up will also be important.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can see it starting. People are starting to talk themselves into accepting Bradford as a Cardinal and be okay with it. I've said, I think he ends up on the Cards, but I'd hate it.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like McCown, I know that Jureclki does but I don't think he is objective as they are friends. MccOwn will be 39 when the season starts. I would go for Bradford but the injuries are a major concern. I also like AJ Mccarron. IMO he is a sleeper. I would like the Cards to take Lamar Jackson. He might fall to them but if moving up, it might only be a few spots and not have to give up the world for him. I will really have a better feel for the draft after the Combine.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see it starting. People are starting to talk themselves into accepting Bradford as a Cardinal and be okay with it. I've said, I think he ends up on the Cards, but I'd hate it.
You have a good point but the problem is that there is IMO no one to really get excited about other than Cousins. Also the QB class for the draft has no one really special.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
“I love Sam. Sam is probably the purest passer I have ever coached,” DeFilippo said, via Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune. “He is as accurate as they come in the NFL. Unfortunately for Sam he has battled the injury bug throughout his career, but I loved coaching Sam in Philadelphia. He and I still talk. We have mutual respect for each other.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/John-DeFilippo-raves-about-Sam-Bradford-115476180

Bradford is the fragile version of Cousins. Both pure passers.

Imagine the value you’d get if Sam magically stays healthy for a year or two. Granted he probably just tore a tendon in his knee as I typed this out.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Bradford might have a lot of talent but he doesn`t have the mobility any QB the Cards sign or draft.You can`t have a immobile QB anymore.If Cards had a topnotch offensive line i would be more inclided to get Bradford.The fact is we don`t have a topnotch OLINE we have a middle of the road group in transition right now.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bradford option is all about injury risk.

With Jurecki, you never know whether he's echoing what the brass thinks or whether he's mixing in his own speculation.

With that in mind, I'd add Mike White to his list of QB's the Cards are interested in.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
But still not a 16 game full season right?
2010 and 2012 he played all 16 games. Almost made it in 2016 with 15 games. Played 14 in 2015 so he can pretty much get through a season now and again.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Mitch, I have a funny feeling that this aggressive 'posture' the Cardinals are taking is because they actually do have their sights on Drew Brees. I do not know how or if it's possible, but the way Larry is always bringing him up and the way Larry is all in it seems possible... the Cards might think they can squeeze two years out from Brees while their draft pick learns from a master at the position, yes this is the big splash they are talking about :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There's not a ton of excitement in the Bradford name for me. I know he has a hard time staying on the field, I know we need someone we can rely on going into the future. But either way, this does seem like the perfect marriage on the market. Bradford has seen us resurrect the careers of aging QBs, he won't break the bank in comparison to some other options... and he will still allow us to pick a young QB because he has to know that just about any team looking at him is going to be vastly worried about his injury history.

I’m still more intrigued by McCarron/Bridgewater, but I have a feeling that Bradford’s experience will win out with this coaching staff and GM.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
There's not a ton of excitement in the Bradford name for me. I know he has a hard time staying on the field, I know we need someone we can rely on going into the future. But either way, this does seem like the perfect marriage on the market. Bradford has seen us resurrect the careers of aging QBs, he won't break the bank in comparison to some other options... and he will still allow us to pick a young QB because he has to know that just about any team looking at him is going to be vastly worried about his injury history.

I’m still more intrigued by McCarron/Bridgewater, but I have a feeling that Bradford’s experience will win out with this coaching staff and GM.

The market for the QB position has totally gone up and when people say so and so is not worth the price, well none of them are but if you want a decent QB, then you have to pay for the reality of the situation. Bradford cannot stay healthy but there is no denying he has NFL ability. I too am in the McCarron/Bridgewater interest and Tyrod Taylor. I mentioned Brees above because that is a gut feeling I'm getting. I know people say so and so is still playing great but dude is freaking old and will cost us while still freaking old, one hell of a bridge though and I guess you cannot judge a guy by age and Fitzgerald is a great comparison. When it all comes down to it, it's the guy in the draft we hopefully select that has my attention

Reaction score
The market for the QB position has totally gone up and when people say so and so is not worth the price, well none of them are but if you want a decent QB, then you have to pay for the reality of the situation. Bradford cannot stay healthy but there is no denying he has NFL ability. I too am in the McCarron/Bridgewater interest and Tyrod Taylor. I mentioned Brees above because that is a gut feeling I'm getting. I know people say so and so is still playing great but dude is freaking old and will cost us while still freaking old, one hell of a bridge though and I guess you cannot judge a guy by age and Fitzgerald is a great comparison. When it all comes down to it, it's the guy in the draft we hopefully select that has my attention

I just don't see him leaving the Saints Jet. I believe he is retiring a Saint. ;)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saints | Meeting for Drew Brees deal expected soon Thu Feb 22,

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees' representatives are expected to meet with the team at the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine 'to try to hammer out what is potentially a short-term deal,' according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. It is expected that the two sides find 'common ground' on deal that will fall between $20 million and $25 million annually.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I just don't see him leaving the Saints Jet. I believe he is retiring a Saint. ;)

I am in total agreement with your premise CNCF... but this is the strange stuff that happens all the time which every off season has and it would totally warrant the 'aggressive' terminology the Cardinals are using

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I agree. I think the overall combination of talent/age/experience/production all favors Bradford. We can draft a guy but if the rook fails Bradford is young enough that we can just draft another rook. If we go after a guy like McCown...or Brees as some think... the pressure is on to get a rookie who will succeed and be starting within two years... Bradford buys more time.

which by the way...is exactly the definition of "not aggressive"...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard