Cardinals' QB Criteria

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Bradford and trading up for a top 4 qb is the best we can do.

Otherwise it will be McCown or Tyrod Taylor, and I want nothing to do with them. If bradford is healthy he is a top 15 qb.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hasn’t McCown been injured the last few years he has played? Freak year last year for him and, if I recall correctly, was injured and didn’t finish. He is NOT the answer for ANY situation be it “bridge” or backup. At least IMO

Did Bridgewater REALLY show that much before he got injured? Was he really THAT good?

Not many of the FA are very palatable as a starting QB. Quite a conundrum.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Hasn’t McCown been injured the last few years he has played? Freak year last year for him and, if I recall correctly, was injured and didn’t finish. He is NOT the answer for ANY situation be it “bridge” or backup. At least IMO

Did Bridgewater REALLY show that much before he got injured? Was he really THAT good?

Not many of the FA are very palatable as a starting QB. Quite a conundrum.
Ted Bridgewater was 17-11 in the 28 games he started for Vikes in regular season .
0-1 playoffs because Vikies kicker Blair Walsh missed a chip shot game winning FG after Bridgewater took the Vikes down the field in the last couple of minutes.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Even if Bradford plays only 12 games, he gives the Cards the best shot at the playoffs. If the Cards can protect themselves contract-wise he’d be a solid get. McCown fits best money wise. Of course for Bradford to play 12 games the line must be fixed. Affording Norwell and Bradford seems a reach. The board’s speculation that a coaching change would fix it seems overly optomistic. Old dogs don’t learn new tricks easily. The Cards must get that young QB and will have to move up to do so, further complicating the money. Keim will certainly earn his money this year.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I think we get Taylor and Lamar.

I think McCarron goes back to Hue Jackson in Cleveland.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
IMO it's going to be Bradford and which ever rookie falls to 15. If Bradford gets hurt and the rook doesn't work out, you try again next year. The feeling would be to keep your draft capitol to build the team, and start drafting QBs every year until you find one. Not what I want, just what I think is going to happen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The market for the QB position has totally gone up and when people say so and so is not worth the price, well none of them are but if you want a decent QB, then you have to pay for the reality of the situation. Bradford cannot stay healthy but there is no denying he has NFL ability. I too am in the McCarron/Bridgewater interest and Tyrod Taylor. I mentioned Brees above because that is a gut feeling I'm getting. I know people say so and so is still playing great but dude is freaking old and will cost us while still freaking old, one hell of a bridge though and I guess you cannot judge a guy by age and Fitzgerald is a great comparison. When it all comes down to it, it's the guy in the draft we hopefully select that has my attention

I just cannot envision Brees wanting to go anywhere at his age, especially knowing that the Saints want to bring him back. It's similar to us and Fitz... why would the players want to leave the cities in which they're heroes and bring their families along with them, to learn a new playbook? Especially in Brees' case... he has a better chance of winning this year with the Saints than just about any other team that needs a QB for a year or two.

I agree. I think the overall combination of talent/age/experience/production all favors Bradford. We can draft a guy but if the rook fails Bradford is young enough that we can just draft another rook. If we go after a guy like McCown...or Brees as some think... the pressure is on to get a rookie who will succeed and be starting within two years... Bradford buys more time.

which by the way...is exactly the definition of "not aggressive"...

I can see both sides of it being aggressive and not aggressive. If we grab 2 (3?) potential starters, isn't that aggressive? But yeah, if we're opening up a wide competition instead of paying for Kirk Cousins to be the unquestioned guy, or trading picks to draft the QB we love in the draft (I personally don't think we can do that but for the sake of argument), doesn't that just mean we're standing back and hoping things sort themselves out?

My true hope is one of two options:

A. Kirk Cousins
B. McCarron and a trade into 9/10 (Raiders spot) if Mayfield falls.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think we get Taylor and Lamar.

I think McCarron goes back to Hue Jackson in Cleveland.

I'm increasingly thinking the Bills just accept they need to keep Taylor and that someone will fall to them.

McCarron? He wants to play. If he can get a competitive offer financially on another team, it's so much better than being stuck with your former coach that could be fired if you chain together a couple of bad games and he doesn't move to the #1 overall draft pick rookie. That's why the Cardinals job would be alluring - even if we draft a guy and AJ wildly outplays him, Wilks and Keim aren't going to lose their jobs to stay with him.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When Bradford is on the field, he can make every throw. Forget mobility---which might work if we can't retool the OL and have a couple of our big dinosaurs back to protect a pocket QB.

Here's Bradford's unfortunate injury history. It wouldn't be a surprise for him to just retire with the millions he made on his rookie deal (Scroll down to bottom of page):

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sam-bradford/3362

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm increasingly thinking the Bills just accept they need to keep Taylor and that someone will fall to them.

McCarron? He wants to play. If he can get a competitive offer financially on another team, it's so much better than being stuck with your former coach that could be fired if you chain together a couple of bad games and he doesn't move to the #1 overall draft pick rookie. That's why the Cardinals job would be alluring - even if we draft a guy and AJ wildly outplays him, Wilks and Keim aren't going to lose their jobs to stay with him.

I really think you under estimate how hard it is to pick a QB with the #1 overall pick. If it fails, both the GM and the coach will lose their jobs most likely. They already tried to trade for McCarron... that says someone in cleveland has some faith in him.... they may well feel they have their jobs longer with a guy like AJ...instead of drafting another rook...since they just spent a pick(2nd?) on Kizer last year...and everyone knew Kizer needed an extra year to develop.
of course... NOT getting traded to cleveland may have been the entire point of McCarrons law suit too, lol. Maybe he wanted is free agency so he can make sure he controls where he goes.

Bobby Beatherd took his teams to something like 5 super bowls...when Leaf busted... Bobby had to retire from the league as the guy who drafted the biggest bust in NFL history.

what makes it worse is...according to steinbergs book... Beatherd was in cahoots with him and Leaf to get the Colts to pick Manning instead... because Ryan didnt want to play in Indy.
So with Beatherds knowledge, Leaf sabotaged his time with the Colts, skipped meetings, spent all his time talking about Vegas...stuff like that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Taylor just sucks. He has had ample opportunity and never stepped up. If kapernick wasn’t such a problem he is actually superior to Taylor.

You will never win with Taylor, I would take McCown over him, I might even take Stanton over him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I really think you under estimate how hard it is to pick a QB with the #1 overall pick. If it fails, both the GM and the coach will lose their jobs most likely. They already tried to trade for McCarron... that says someone in cleveland has some faith in him.... they may well feel they have their jobs longer with a guy like AJ...instead of drafting another rook...since they just spent a pick(2nd?) on Kizer last year...and everyone knew Kizer needed an extra year to develop.
of course... NOT getting traded to cleveland may have been the entire point of McCarrons law suit too, lol. Maybe he wanted is free agency so he can make sure he controls where he goes.

Bobby Beatherd took his teams to something like 5 super bowls...when Leaf busted... Bobby had to retire from the league as the guy who drafted the biggest bust in NFL history.

what makes it worse is...according to steinbergs book... Beatherd was in cahoots with him and Leaf to get the Colts to pick Manning instead... because Ryan didnt want to play in Indy.
So with Beatherds knowledge, Leaf sabotaged his time with the Colts, skipped meetings, spent all his time talking about Vegas...stuff like that.

Let's fire up the argument engine again, Oak!

If you don't think a team can identify a 1st overall pick, especially with an experienced guy manning (pun halfway intended) the ship, then why do you want to trade up so we can take the pick off their hands?

They drafted Kizer with the idea that they wouldn't have the number one overall pick, since Hue Jackson promised to jump in a river if they didn't improve on their single win the year before. It's not the best pick, and I actually thought Kizer might make it in the league, but he bombed. Like Jimmy Clausen's relationship to Cam Newton, you don't hold on to someone that did little to nothing for your franchise when elite talent is staring you down - especially when you've crashed and burned in your franchise's revised history (since '99!).

AJ might be a good player. The Browns were semi-willing to take a chance to get him. But they cannot afford to be passive in "the year of the quarterback." McCarron could take a short term deal to look great with his former coach, but the closest thing that Hue Jackson has to losing his job is entering the year with AJ McCarron and DeShone Kizer as his starters. That number one pick basically has to be a QB, win or lose. The Browns need an elite quarterback, and this is the time.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Taylor just sucks. He has had ample opportunity and never stepped up. If kapernick wasn’t such a problem he is actually superior to Taylor.

You will never win with Taylor, I would take McCown over him, I might even take Stanton over him.

My point wasn't that we should sign Taylor, just that the Bills are in an awful situation (even worse than ours), where acquiring an upgrade isn't an easy endeavor.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand the injury issues about Bradford, but with fingers crossed, he's due for an injury free year. All I'm asking for is a half year, when our high draft pick might be ready.

P.S. Once again, B is for Bridge, B is for Bradford.
P.P.S. Oops, B is also for Bridgewater.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Brees retires a Saint. I would be surprised at any other scenario. Brees is to the Saint what Fitz is to the Cardinals, the face of the organization. If Wilks and the offense can sustain a strong running attack then I think Bradford is a viable option. Look back when he played for the Rams, Steven Jackson was still in his prime providing a strong running game and he lasted the seasons. Give him a run game that can protect him and he can produce without injury.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Taylor has been a starter 3 years, during that time he has a 62.6% completion rate, averages 7.2 yds per pass attempt, has thrown 51 TDs to 16 INTs (that's better than 3 to 1), has rushed for over 1500 yds at 5.6 yds per attempt + 14 TDs on the ground and has managed to have a winning record (22-20) as a starter on a bad team. To say he sucks is strange. He isn't a top 10 talent but he is a more than adequate bridge QB--much rather have him than the 10 yr older McCown and to even have Stanton in the conversation shows you aren't really thinking clearly.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Bradford would have to agree to a contract similar to what Foles signed in Philly. Reasonably priced in years 1 and 2, then voidable. If he stays healthy and plays well, Cards have more money available to restructure after year 1...if not, turn it over to the drafted rookie and let Bradford walk after year 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Bradford would have to agree to a contract similar to what Foles signed in Philly. Reasonably priced in years 1 and 2, then voidable. If he stays healthy and plays well, Cards have more money available to restructure after year 1...if not, turn it over to the drafted rookie and let Bradford walk after year 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bradford will get much more then what Foles got. He's an established starter. But I could see them putting in games guarantees.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Don't forget, Bradford just got traded for a #1 pick 2 years ago.

Wilks says we will run the football.
Bradford is the type of guy that can be really efficient with a running game.
Bradford also seems like the type of QB that would fit McCoy's offense.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The real question on Bradford is the condition of his left knee. 2 torn ACL's and whatever procedure he just had in November/December.

If that all checks out, he seems like a slam dunk.

Reaction score
The real question on Bradford is the condition of his left knee. 2 torn ACL's and whatever procedure he just had in November/December.

If that all checks out, he seems like a slam dunk.

I just read an article about his knee. I'll see if I can find it again & post it. The Dr who just cleaned out his his knee said everything looked good & that the tendons & such looked strong & healthy.

Edit: The Dr said his knee is sound & there shouldn't be any reason why he can't play next season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-bradford-absolutely-intends-play-2018-042630952--spt.html

According to NFL Network, the 30-year-old QB has been told by Dr. James Andrews that his left knee joint is sound, with ligaments intact and no reason to be concerned moving forward. Andrews performed an arthroscopic procedure on Bradford's knee in November, cleaning up a bone spur and some cartilage that was causing discomfort.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My one "concern" about Bradford or even possibly Tyrod Taylor is that they could play too well for too long, leaving us at an impasse of whether or not we want to start whatever rookie we draft or go ahead and extend one of those guys. I could see Bradford just impressing the hell out of us and then the team struggling to take the plunge.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My one "concern" about Bradford or even possibly Tyrod Taylor is that they could play too well for too long, leaving us at an impasse of whether or not we want to start whatever rookie we draft or go ahead and extend one of those guys. I could see Bradford just impressing the hell out of us and then the team struggling to take the plunge.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......................................................are you sure you meant what you meant here?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......................................................are you sure you meant what you meant here?

It's a good problem to have, but I was more thinking of how this compares to someone like Josh McCown. McCown is pretty much guaranteed only one or two more years in the league. We would have a clear and present exit strategy from him.

If we signed Bradford and he lit it up ala Warner/Palmer, we could see a situation where the rookie just never gets the reps.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
It's a good problem to have, but I was more thinking of how this compares to someone like Josh McCown. McCown is pretty much guaranteed only one or two more years in the league. We would have a clear and present exit strategy from him.

If we signed Bradford and he lit it up ala Warner/Palmer, we could see a situation where the rookie just never gets the reps.

Or you see a situation like what just happened in KC, you trade Bradford and keep the youngster. Or to a lesser extent you just let Favre go and keep Rodgers...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard