Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I would be surprised if it was Kafka after a big swing and a miss on Kliff. Seems like the pendulum will swing back the other way to Lou.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good enough for me!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Flores REALLY wanted to be the Cardinals coach, he would not have withdrawn his name. You guys can justify all this however you want but this is another gut punch to the organization. Flores thought it was better to DC for a team led by Kirk Cousins than to interview his way into another HC gig with a team “led” by Kyler

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Granted, there's the possibility that one of the finalists will lose a perspective coach in the next week or so.

How likely is it?

No idea, but it would seem that MB and Monti are not overly concerned and will stick to their schedule.
That lack of concern is . . . concerning for a franchise that hasn’t shown a ton of historical good decision making.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
It's going to be Kafka/Joseph combo. The good news is the expectations for next season will be almost nothing. 6 or 7 wins will be considered a success. Hopefully Ossenfort is a competent talent evaluator and he can build this roster the right way.

This has been a colossal failure by Bidwill. He surrounded himself with people that made him comfortable for too long and it came back to hurt him and the franchise. He needs to take a back seat and stay away from the day to day operations of the club.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait, where are you getting that? Caldwell has kiboshed the notion.

Brit only holds Kyler to his words, not others apparently. But he also believes that is consistent. Frankly, I have no idea.

Are you pair having a dense off?

What part of "I'm not interested in OC jobs at the start of the hiring cycle but now that I don't have a HC job it makes sense to look at other options" is so freaking hard for you to understand?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not even going to read 6 pages of people screaming "Mike is so bad. Flores turned us down because Mike sucks so much. This Org is terrible".

Did he turn the Broncos down too? He was set to interview there on Wednesday.

Or did the guy take a job that he was offered over the 1 in 3 shot he might get the job here or the 1 in 3 shot at the Broncos?

It's late in the hiring cycle. The Vikings surely said "We need to know within 24 hours or look at other options". Flores doesn't interview until Thursday and wouldn't know until the weekend. 5 days is a long time to ask the Vikings to wait.

So given the choice between a 100% job as a DC at a team that just went 13-4 who are a defense away from being contenders or the outside 1 in 3 possibility of being the HC of the Cardinals what would most normal people do?

Maybe Flores wasn't confident in being able to put the offensive staff together he needed and felt DC was better for him right now?

Maybe he heard that the Cards were hotter for Kafka or Anurumo and he felt he was an outside bet?

If your first assumption is "He turned us down because we suck. Mike is a joke. The Org has a terrible rep" you might want to give your head a wobble and ask if that was the case why even agree to a 2nd interview in the first place?

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Flores REALLY wanted to be the Cardinals coach, he would not have withdrawn his name. You guys can justify all this however you want but this is another gut punch to the organization. Flores thought it was better to DC for a team led by Kirk Cousins than to interview his way into another HC gig with a team “led” by Kyler

If Flores REALLY didn't want to be Cardinals coach he wouldn;t have interviewed once, or agreed to a 2nd interview. After already interviewing twice in 2018.

Flores thought it was better to 100% DC for a team then 33% possibly HC for another. How are those odds hard to understand? Or to put it another way. 100% shot at DC vs 66% shot at staying a LB coach at the Steelers.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It makes sense why Mitch & others ram BritCard off while at ROTB.
Dude, don't be a jerk. BritCard's put a lot of thoughtful effort into this board. So did "Mitch," but he couldn't handle criticism of his hot takes and unfounded speculation.

BC sticks by their argument, whether you agree or not.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, don't be a jerk. BritCard's put a lot of thoughtful effort into this board. So did "Mitch," but he couldn't handle criticism of his hot takes and unfounded speculation.

BC sticks by their argument, whether you agree or not.

Telling Dvontel not to be a jerk is like telling water not to be wet.

The "Personally attacking posters" policy seems to be slipping around here.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
3rd reply here, actually seriously talking Flores, I think it's a bad look, BUT I can see reasons he made his decision that aren't entirely connected to the franchise's ineptitude. There's obvious bias here as a fan... but he may have seen the writing on the wall vs. the other candidates, especially in the face of the Rooney Rule, and with this pending lawsuit.

I've actually felt like Ryans declined the interview for similar reasons. Now, Payton was the big ticket name at the time, but still. In a sense, I've felt like Glenn and Flores were almost "let's pretend we're serious" interviews. That's a very harsh thought, because they're both deserving of a look at a head coaching role, but... I don't know if they had a clear pathway. Bidwill's really part of the good ol' boy consortium of the NFL, and I can't fathom him hiring someone with an active lawsuit to be his coach, regardless of qualifications. Race aside, I don't think I could hire someone suing my industry either.

The way things have gone are a pretty bad look, but from a positive view as someone who just wants to win football games, I still actually feel okay, especially if we end up with Anarumo. I'd like it to happen sooner though, so we can all fight about something more tangible. I'm running out of jokes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Telling Dvontel not to be a jerk is like telling water not to be wet.

The "Personally attacking posters" policy seems to be slipping around here.
I kinda feel like the day the three of us agree on a subject will be when the Cards win the Super Bowl, and we'll still debate the nuances of Taylor Swift's halftime appearance.

...I bet DVontel hates TayTay, come to think of it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3rd reply here, actually seriously talking Flores, I think it's a bad look, BUT I can see reasons he made his decision that aren't entirely connected to the franchise's ineptitude. There's obvious bias here as a fan... but he may have seen the writing on the wall vs. the other candidates, especially in the face of the Rooney Rule, and with this pending lawsuit.

I've actually felt like Ryans declined the interview for similar reasons. Now, Payton was the big ticket name at the time, but still. In a sense, I've felt like Glenn and Flores were almost "let's pretend we're serious" interviews. That's a very harsh thought, because they're both deserving of a look at a head coaching role, but... I don't know if they had a clear pathway. Bidwill's really part of the good ol' boy consortium of the NFL, and I can't fathom him hiring someone with an active lawsuit to be his coach, regardless of qualifications. Race aside, I don't think I could hire someone suing my industry either.

The way things have gone are a pretty bad look, but from a positive view as someone who just wants to win football games, I still actually feel okay, especially if we end up with Anarumo. I'd like it happen sooner though, so we can all fight about something more tangible. I'm running out of jokes.

I'm honestly struggling with the "bad look" angle. Feels like that's a pure Cards fan thing.

Let's say you're a coder. You have an offer on the table to be VP of product development at Facebook, they need to know in 48 hours if you want the job. But you have a 2nd interview to be President of product development at Google in 4 days. It's a better job, pays more, but your only 1 of 3 going for it. You're not even sure it's 3 because some other guys become available next week.

Can people really not understand why that person might take the 100% VP job over the 1 in 3+ job? Would that be a bad look for Google?

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

thought he'd

(Flores thought, rightly so, that it was better to have a job, that is, a promotion over the previous gig in Pittsburgh, than not.)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose