Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It implies that he turned down the Cards job, and I doubt that is a 'true' fact.
You can doubt it but that is exactly what happened. He may not have been choice #1 but the Cards wanted to interview him again, he called to withdraw.

Reactions: PJ1

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeesh. They rather be coordinators than head coaches. Something isn’t right about this.

Oh and Cunningham wanted more money and Bidwill said no.

Payton got money whipped by Denver, and I'm glad we saved the draft capital. Quinn may see himself as heir apparent in Dallas. Believing that Flores would rather be a D-C than H-C is beyond credulity. And we don't know if Cunningham was offered the GM job.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
This is what happens when you when you drag your feet in a coaching search. There is zero reason that the three ”finalist” couldn’t have had their first interviews much sooner and conducted the second interviews last week. I don’t blame Flores at all. 16 days between the first interview and the second interview is ridiculous.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is what happens when you when you drag your feet in a coaching search. There is zero reason that the three ”finalist” couldn’t have had their first interviews much sooner and conducted the second interviews last week. I don’t blame Flores at all. 16 days between the first interview and the second interview is ridiculous.

Foot dragging? It's been less than a month since the Cards' last game.

Since then, they've fired a GM and H-C, and conducted a series of interviews to find a new GM, then a further series of interviews to find a new H-C. Your definition of foot-dragging and mine are quite different.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Since then, they've fired a GM and H-C, and conducted a series of interviews to find a new GM, then a further series of interviews to find a new H-C. Your definition of foot-dragging and mine are quite different.
Whis - Hired Jan 14
Arians - Hired Jan 27
Wilks - Hired Jan 22
Kliff - Hired Jan 8

Taking a HC search well into February is not normal, even for this org.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How do we know that he really had a 2nd interview lined up? Agent could have been leaking that info to put pressure on Vikings to hire him. Maybe Pat P told him about the snakes in locker room and he bugged out. Who the hell knows @ this pt?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We can speculate til we're blue in the face but it don't much matter what happened with Flores. My guess is he was the Vikings top choice for their DC and us requesting a second interview sent them into get it done mode, just speculating here

But anyways better days, looks like we're down to two choices (unless there's a dark horse lurking on the Eagles or Chiefs staff)

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

16 days between Flores’ first interview and his scheduled second interview is unprecedented in a coaching search.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure, but I don't think any of this was preceded by a GM search and hire.
They started the HC search while they were interviewing GM candidates. Also, Ossenfort was hired 3 weeks ago. He will likely be in place for a month before a HC is hired. This isn't normal.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Flores turned down the Cardinals job. I think that possibly Mike didn't want to hire him so he is dragging out this process quite a bit so that Flores had to take another job rather than wait under Michael's time frame. By doing this the Cardinals did not reject him and open themselves up to more lawsuit stuff.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't think Flores turned down the Cardinals job. I think that possibly Mike didn't want to hire him so he is dragging out this process quite a bit so that Flores had to take another job rather than wait under Michael's time frame. By doing this the Cardinals did not reject him and open themselves up to more lawsuit stuff.
Could be. We'll likely never know the full story.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson