Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's see how it plays out

Hopefully you both are right

Strange how VJ hasn't interviewed for any other teams openings

And with how many times this team has punched us it the gut we have to be prepared for the worst

He just had a bottom 3 defense. Is it strange?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or owners.

They should hire a GM and let the GM select a coach and then step back and let the football people run the team. Otherwise, the GM is just a figurehead without much power at all.

I'm not sure this happens anywhere anymore. I think those days have gone. I've been watching all the other HC searches and every other team had owners doing the interviews. Denver were meeting guys without the GM.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I just don't get this at all. I'm trying to work it out but I can't.

Wasting days to do a zoom interview is like going to Steak 44 then stopping for a McFlurry on the way home. I don't know what it could possibly add via zoom that you didn't get in person.

Why not do them in person? If these are your final guys and their seasons are over why not in person?

Why a 3 day gap if zoom? Why waste those days?

I'm sure must be a reason but I can't figure it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This coaching search has been bizarre to say the least.

Usually, someone emerges. It seems like the Cards can’t decide who/what they want or no candidates are distinguishing themselves from the others.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I just don't get this at all. I'm trying to work it out but I can't.

Wasting days to do a zoom interview is like going to Steak 44 then stopping for a McFlurry on the way home. I don't know what it could possibly add via zoom that you didn't get in person.

Why not do them in person? If these are your final guys and their seasons are over why not in person?

Why a 3 day gap if zoom? Why waste those days?

I'm sure must be a reason but I can't figure it.
I think Kafka is #1 choice. They have a few days to work things out with him...if it doesn't, then they move to Lou. Just my observation.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don’t see how being a successful OC/DC correlates to being a good HC.
A good HC should be a “leader of men”, have enough NFL experience to make in game decisions (players, strategy adjustments, time clock, etc) and the ability to manage his coordinators and position coaches to create a winning team.
A HC candidates interview should be based on these things and not how well he performed as a Coordinator.
If he has performed well as a Coordinator but hasn’t any HC experience or at the least shown strong HC qualities then its a gamble to hire him.
It‘s about creating a functioning hierarchy. If you haven‘t at least done one of those jobs it’s hard to help if the coach leading that unit has a problem. It’s true that only works on one side of the ball, but it‘s better than neither.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
At this point I think any enthusiasm I would have had for the new staff is pretty much gone. Maybe Mike is really trying to get this right, maybe he is getting turned down by other candidates or maybe a little of both. Regardless of the truth it feels like we are going to be banking on an unproven staff (from HC on down) to somehow turn around this franchise and motivate/invigorate our mercurial quarterback. It really doesn't give me that much optimism with free agency coming up soon.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kafka is #1 choice. They have a few days to work things out with him...if it doesn't, then they move to Lou. Just my observation.

Would they not just see how things go with Kafka and then turn to Lou if it doesn't work out?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well no... its not.

vance is under contract. the only way a team can poach him is with a promotion.... so he didnt get looked at for any head coach positions... coaches from losing teams rarely do.
Why not just release him then?

If MB is not planning on retaining him that would allow him to catch on another staff

Reactions: PJ1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
they can. But there is nothing unusual about Vance not interviewing at this time.
Typically if an HC is fired the coaches are allowed to leave even tough they are under contract. Coordinators are sometimes treated a little differently. Joseph has been interviewed for HC. It hurts his status to go interview for a DC. If he ends up being let go, he‘s under contract, so he will be paid by Bidwill.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we'll see. I do think it will be one of these two. It is hard for me to get excited about Kafka. This might be my problem, but his background and age has a lot of similarity, in mind to KK.

Whoever it is, I hope the entire franchise has a mind shift to build the team from the interior of lines out. This franchise has NEVER done this the emphasis has always been on WRs, TE and RB to give the QB weapons. Never quite getting if you can smash mouth on both sides of the ball nothing is more helpful to a QB.

Kind of random thought here for this thread...

SF used two first round picks on DTs and one on a physical DE.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’d be okay with either of these guys. Not jumping over the moon, but definitely in more of a wait and see mode than in the depths of despair.
Agreed. Lou has been around the league for years and runs a pretty good defense.

Kafka might be what Kyler needs...an NFL offensive guy who runs an NFL offense, but also would understand some air raid concepts from his time with Reid. He's a fast riser who has been thought of as a future HC for a few years now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, that's what I thought I wrote. Interview Kafka Tuesday and take a couple of days to workout a deal. If it fails, you have Lou on Friday.

Yeah you did. I meant wouldn't you leave scheduling Lou until you know on Kafka?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, we'll see. I do think it will be one of these two. It is hard for me to get excited about Kafka. This might be my problem, but his background and age has a lot of similarity, in mind to KK.
I think the difference in KK and Kafka is that Kafka's experience is in the NFL, not the Big 12.
Whoever it is, I hope the entire franchise has a mind shift to build the team from the interior of lines out.
100%. What's strange about Keim is it seems he was always infatuated with skill position even though he was a lineman. He also kind of sucked at drafting OL. That's one of the exciting things about the new assistant GM: he's known for identifying OL through the draft.
This franchise has NEVER done this the emphasis has always been on WRs, TE and RB to give the QB weapons. Never quite getting if you can smash mouth on both sides of the ball nothing is more helpful to a QB.
McGinnis tried it.

They drafted a ton of DL over the past ten years!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Whoever it is, I hope the entire franchise has a mind shift to build the team from the interior of lines out. This franchise has NEVER done this the emphasis has always been on WRs, TE and RB to give the QB weapons. Never quite getting if you can smash mouth on both sides of the ball nothing is more helpful to a QB.

I don't think Kafka and KK are similar at all, as I've mentioned before. Kafka is actually about 5 years younger than Kliff was, when he was hired. Kafka has zero, I believe, head coaching experience. Kliff was air raid, while Kafka is shown to be ball control, or at least adaptable to the personell he has. Kliff if dating IG models and has an image...I don't think Kafka has all that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose