Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Lou has been around the league for years and runs a pretty good defense.

Kafka might be what Kyler needs...an NFL offensive guy who runs an NFL offense, but also would understand some air raid concepts from his time with Reid. He's a fast riser who has been thought of as a future HC for a few years now.

Meh. Kafka is my least favorite option.

I just can't get hot for a one year OC that was at the 2010 combine and still bumming around the league in 2015.

Just feels like younger Kliff, with a bare minimum of NFL experience.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I just can't get hot for a one year OC that was at the 2010 combine and still bumming around the league in 2015.

You like Vance more? Aaron Glenn more?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Kafka and KK are similar at all, as I've mentioned before. Kafka is actually about 5 years younger than Kliff was, when he was hired. Kafka has zero, I believe, head coaching experience. Kliff was air raid, while Kafka is shown to be ball control, or at least adaptable to the personell he has. Kliff if dating IG models and has an image...I don't think Kafka has all that.
Like I said it's my problem... :D

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You like Vance more? Aaron Glenn more?

Not Vance. Vance isn't a serious contender.

But Glenn, Amurumo, Flores yeah. Probably some others too.

As I say, CV looks like younger Kliff but with added "held Mahomes water bottle" and "renamed Danny Dimes to Danny Dunk".

The narrative with Kyler has been "he needs someone he respects who has been around" and Kafka is not that.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not Vance. Vance isn't a serious contender.

But Glenn, Amurumo, Flores yeah. Probably some others too.

As I say, CV looks like younger Kliff but with added "held Mahomes water bottle" and "renamed Danny Dimes to Danny Dunk".

The narrative with Kyler has been "he needs someone he respects who has been around" and Kafka is not that.
Well, if what Mike said was true, that Murray would at least be talked to about HC, maybe Kyler has signed off on Kafka. I can imagine KM probably talking to Danny and Patrick about him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see how being a successful OC/DC correlates to being a good HC.
A good HC should be a “leader of men”, have enough NFL experience to make in game decisions (players, strategy adjustments, time clock, etc) and the ability to manage his coordinators and position coaches to create a winning team.
A HC candidates interview should be based on these things and not how well he performed as a Coordinator.
If he has performed well as a Coordinator but hasn’t any HC experience or at the least shown strong HC qualities then its a gamble to hire him.
Experience at the OC or DC is important. One would think somebody in those positions for years would be better connected when trying to assemble a staff. Of course coming here you might be required to retain all remaining coaches. :-(

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

It’s funny how you can’t acknowledge how universally ridiculed the Kliff hire was at the time rightfully so
I’m retrospect. I don’t know anything about Kafka but at least he seems to be progressing upwards in the NFL coaching circles whereas Kliff was plummeting having been fired at a middling Big 12 program literally weeks before we hired him at a higher level.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is Zoom, then why not one on Monday and one on Tuesday… or hell, why not one today and one tomorrow. Why the wait???
It's already been discussed that second interviews come with homework. Gotta give them time to do that homework. Remember, many of these guys have full-time jobs wrapping up their existing teams respective side of the ball.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
There are apparently two finalists for the job. Both can and should have their second interviews to have their opportunity to win the job. It would be a crappy thing to hire one without interviewing the other especially after the information about their second interviews became public.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Well, we'll see. I do think it will be one of these two. It is hard for me to get excited about Kafka. This might be my problem, but his background and age has a lot of similarity, in mind to KK.

Whoever it is, I hope the entire franchise has a mind shift to build the team from the interior of lines out. This franchise has NEVER done this the emphasis has always been on WRs, TE and RB to give the QB weapons. Never quite getting if you can smash mouth on both sides of the ball nothing is more helpful to a QB.

Kind of random thought here for this thread...

SF used two first round picks on DTs and one on a physical DE.
This yes please. Oline and Dline

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it’s fun to pile on Bidwill, but he has opened his coin purse to get rid of Keim and Kliff, then hired two external FOs guys when a cheaper in-house solution was available. He’s not going to force VJ to save like $2m after what else he’s committed to. He might suggest the new HC looks at VJ because he respects him, but the narrative of saving money is getting old and tired.
Too bad we have to give him this credit instead of him making good decisions that would avoid much of his woes.

But yes, by all means, Mikey opened the piggy bank

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I prefer Anarumo over Kafka. Anaumoe with his experience is similar to BA while Kafka is more like KK. Probably not fair comparisons but I think Anarumo will demand accountability which is what the Cards need.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It's already been discussed that second interviews come with homework. Gotta give them time to do that homework. Remember, many of these guys have full-time jobs wrapping up their existing teams respective side of the ball.

I guess that makes sense, Kafka first interviewed last Tuesday so that gave him a week to prepare for the second interview. I still think that a second interview either today or tomorrow would have still been enough time to prepare. Then have Lou on either Tues or Weds and announce a hiring by the end of the work week before the Super Bowl hoopla really kicks in.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Lou is #2. You schedule the guy you REALLY want first so he can't get away.
That would be meaningful if there were 5 other teams needing to fill positions. At this point I don’t think it matters a whole lot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s funny how you can’t acknowledge how universally ridiculed the Kliff hire was at the time rightfully so
I’m retrospect. I don’t know anything about Kafka but at least he seems to be progressing upwards in the NFL coaching circles whereas Kliff was plummeting having been fired at a middling Big 12 program literally weeks before we hired him at a higher level.

And why would I do that when it has absolutely nothing to do with anything?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave