Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a deep draft class for OL, especially C.
The only thing deep about this OL is the C. Just the C.
I feel like I can add picks by trading some or all of Hopkins, Kyler and Brown. At worst I am adding 2nd and 3rd rounders.
So you wanna give our rookie QB with absolutely no talent at WR & banking on Day 2 & 3 rookies to make it easier for him.
rounders. I can fill a hole on the OL in FA without Kyler's contract long term...either Jawaan Taylor or Conner McGovern or Dalton Riser. I might be able to bring back Will Hernandez who was fine.
And then you want to add middling OL to an already extremely young & unproven Day 2 & 3 WRs for our young rookie QB.
The Colts failed because of their GM. We are counting on not having that problem.
You want Monti to basically be the Colts’ GM. Investing in middling OL & use Day 2 & 3 capital to cover up for it.

You want a burger. You want the hamburger buns, but without the actual hamburger meat. Your mentality is lining up with Keim’s despite you not wanting Monti be like Keim. You can’t win this way.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
agree on new league year

i beleive you have to carry the cap ramifications to June 1, not the actual contract

so on day 1 of the new league year the Cards could cut him, Kyler becomes a free agent and the Cards avoid the guaranteed comp --- but any cap savings wouldnt be available until after June 1

Cap savings? - We have $14m in Cap space at this point.

You'd be taking a $50m+ dead money hit in 2023 and $34m+ in 2024.

We'd have to make about $35m in additional cuts to be Cap compliant, with literally no space to cover our draft class, let alone any FA acquisitions.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Answer this. What possible advantage is there to Kyler to not doing any media? People keep saying "He doesn't have to do it. Screw those guys" but he also doesn't have to avoid it completely. How does it benefit him to do no media in the last year and let this narrative about him being difficult to work with, lazy studier, poor leader narrative fester?
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not advocating for one behavior path or another. Im advocating for you to chill the eff out and stop worrying so much. I just don't believe for one red second that anything the media says, would ever, in a million years, affect who would be willing to work for us. COULD KM be the reason we are having a hard time finding a coaching search? Sure. COULD it help if he was capable of sitting at a podium and saying "Its not true!" Sure. But none of that causes me to lose and sleep or get in a tizzy about my quarterback. It just doesnt. SHeesh, I hate the off season. Soap Operas, podcasts, and media circle jerks. It really sucks.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
while we are on the "is Kyler driving away candidates" beat

it sure seems more likely that an offensive HC candidate would appreciate Kylers skill set, understand where Kliff's system made it hard and have a plan on how to use Kyler to his potential.

yet -- like 80% of the people they are talking to are defensive guys. These guys may appreciate what Kyler can do -- but i dont know if they would have a firm idea on the plan to get the most out of him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Cap savings? - We have $14m in Cap space at this point.

You'd be taking a $50m+ dead money hit in 2023 and $34m+ in 2024.

We'd have to make about $35m in additional cuts to be Cap compliant, with literally no space to cover our draft class, let alone any FA acquisitions.
out of context

we were talking post 2024 season

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can argue that trading Kyler Murray for whatever you can get, drafting Anthony Richardson, and then stacking a roster with talent is exactly what Philly did when they traded Wentz and drafted Jalen Hurts.
This. I keep hearing( rightfully so) this is a rebuild/retool lost year because of Kylee’s injury. I see nothing wrong with drafting a decent Qb in the 3rd round. If he turns out to be the next Jalen Hurts, great. We would have a nice problem on our hand.
We can’t count on Murray coming back this year and when he does how will he play coming back off this injury?
If we wait to find out the answer then here we’ll sit looking for a qb in 2024/25.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Albert Breer is more of the @DVontel belief.

Coaches are more concerned about the rebuild that needs to happen more than they are about Kyler. Breer says there is a 2 to 3 year rebuild that needs to happen and some coaches are hesitant to be apart of that or if they should commit to that. No guarantee they make it to year 3 and is Monti the right guy to do it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again...I can mitigate or replace a QB on a rookie deal easier than I can improve Kyler. (IMO of course)
Replace more easily, perhaps. Upgrade? No guarantee based on those three elements. You could be QB purgatory in which the cards have dwelled in the past where all that mitigation and replacement netted garbage. At least kyler you know you’ve got that guy who through two and half years showed tremendous upside. Maybe he’s permanently broken, but if he isn’t that reload strategy is likely worse.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This. I keep hearing( rightfully so) this is a rebuild/retool lost year because of Kylee’s injury. I see nothing wrong with drafting a decent Qb in the 3rd round. If he turns out to be the next Jalen Hurts, great. We would have a nice problem on our hand.
We can’t count on Murray coming back this year and when he does how will he play coming back off this injury?
If we wait to find out the answer then here we’ll sit looking for a qb in 2024/25.
In fairness the Eagles had some rock solid pieces on the Oline and Dline already. They were playoff caliber with an underperforming QB so it was easier to move on.

Remember before the season the Eagles were acquiring assets in case they needed to trade up for a QB in 2023. Hurts just happen to take his game to another level.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sorry man but this just aint true.

It was poor year 1. It was top 20 in year 2 and year 3 and it was poor last year due to injuries.

Maybe @kerouac9 can pull up some DVOA stats.

PFF ranked the O line 12th in 2020 and 15th in 2021. And before anyone says "But PFF" they consistently ranked the Cardinals O line bottom 5 nearly every year since 2006 apart from a couple of years in the BA era.
The Cards went from 26th in Adjusted Sack Rate in 2017, 2018 and 2019 to 8th, 15th, and 15th the past three years.

The line has always been pretty awful at run-blocking; we haven't been better than 22nd in adjusted line yards since 2019.
Then why exactly do coaches take jobs with turd QB situations every year? Because they almost always get two swings at it.

I don't know how super-true this is. A lot of other stuff has to be going pretty well before the HC gets another shot at a QB (if he came in with a guy). Looks like Salah is gonna get another shot at it with the Jets after Zach Wilson did his thing. OTOH, Matt Nagy inherited Trubisky, won with him, and still got dumped after going 6-10 with rookie Justin Fields.

Kyler fans: "Yeah, but how successful was he in high school?" :D
FIFY.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Don't know this dude or where he saw it, I'll keep checking...but he does have followers, so it's not some guy tweeting from his mom's basement.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
At this point, I think the only way the Cards can save face is to hire one of the Eagles guys so that they have the built in excuse for waiting so long to make a hire.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't know this dude or where he saw it, I'll keep checking...but he does have followers, so it's not some guy tweeting from his mom's basement.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Stichen worked for Anthony Lynn and the Chargers as Phil Rivers' QB Coach before moving over the Philly. Interesting CV for sure.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Stichen worked for Anthony Lynn and the Chargers as Phil Rivers' QB Coach before moving over the Philly. Interesting CV for sure.
Go watch some of his interviews the dude seems smart, handles himself well. Also like he runs air raid concepts that should be easy for Kyler. This is the guy I’m hoping for.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Why?

Why specifically is he any worse than Khan, Brown, Haslam, Spanos, Snyder, the McNairs, the Johnson Brothers, Mark Davis, Irsay, Stephen Ross etc?

Ross is a humoungous A hole that spent months trying to trade for Watson to dump Tua. It didn't stop McDaniel or Fangio going there.

Mark Davis looks like someone cut the head off a Chuckie doll and boiled it in a bag for 3 hours. He's been one of the worst owners for a decade but had no trouble attracting Gruden or McDaniels.

The Johnson brothers had an 11 year playoff droubt and disaster after disaster at HC and GM. It didn't stop them getting Joe Douglas then Robert Salah.

All these owners are huge tool bags for one reason or another, and many more besides. The "Coaches/GM's don't want to come here because of Mike" is a massive crock of crap.
Gruden and McDouchebag??
Dude... Gruden was offered a record breaking contract to come back and total control while also being allowed to bring in his media buddy as GM in Mike Mayock.
and McDouche is the worst coach in the league.
But on point.... Mark "Bowl cut Tommy Boy" Davis is a far worse owner than Mike Bidwill

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
One of many reasons I like him plus was the OC later. He worked with Herbert too.
You have mentioned his name before. Not sure why he isn’t mentioned more. He the guy I’m hoping for.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose