Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’d shocked if the hire wasn’t made by Sunday with the entire league flying into town
I agree. Isn’t it considered kind of taboo to hire a head coach during the actual lead up to the Big Game? Sunday would be perfect as the new coach could make the rounds during bowl week, but also not create a distraction. The Cards hiring a head coach next Wednesday or Thursday would be a bad look as it would take away from the Super Bowl lead up.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It’s widely known that we have an easy out with Kyler after 2024. Any coach that doesn’t understand this is dumb to the point where he’d be a terrible hire.
yep

and the dead money isnt as bad as i have thought, especially relative to the size of the cap in that year

you would still need a new QB tho..... but:

if Kyler doesnt work -- you are likely drafting high

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This "coaches don't want Kyler" story is what happens when Kyler doesn't put himself out there as I said last week.

The huge media void where Kyler's personality should be is being filled by all these negative narratives. If he was out there being likeable and interesting people would be far less inclined to write or believe this stuff. As it is, he makes it easy.

He hasn't done any media in the last year to dispel any of the negativity around him and now the team is paying the price.
What price? Where's the list of coaches saying no to AZ? Bienemy in 2018? Where's he still at? Ryans this year? Who else did he turn down, because he was Houston or bust? Dan Quinn? Maybe, maybe not. Again, all of the remaining and new candidates aren't cancelling anything with AZ, even when they are one of just 2 left to play with.

Murray's attitude and how he handles the media hasn't changed since day 1 and likely never will. If it bothers the media, that's their issue.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Maybe the 'very credible' source could explain why, with all these concerns, coach after coach have taken interviews for the H-C position?

Are we to believe that one after the other, they opened the interview saying, "I'm your guy if you dump KM."
I can answer that for you. There are only 32 HC jobs. If you get an interview offer 90% of people take it. That said, if, like Payton, you get more than one offer you get to make a choice. Payton didn’t choose the Cards. For some, like Quinn, you made decide the offer is so bad you just return to your previous spot. Frankly, I would say Pauline has built his reputation for about 30+ years in the business being used by multiple teams. That makes him pretty invulnerable to sarcasm. Of course maybe it was aimed at me. Feel free to attack me. These days I’m little more than a hobbyist. I think you’ll find Tony is out of your league. As Brit has suggested, I suggest you Google Tony. There are a few with that name so be careful. You will see how many people trust his opinion based on all the groups that have solicited his wisdom. There are few in this business who have more standing. I suggest you pick easier targets.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
There are only 32 HC jobs. If you get an interview offer 90% of people take it.
the scarcity of jobs explains both interviewing AND accepting

about the only reason you would interview with the Cards without any desire to take the job would be to build buzz around your name -- but that also cuts both ways ("he didn't even get an offer from the Cardinals").

i have no doubt that Kyler presents a dynamic that some coaches with options dont want to deal with...... but i dont think its the majority of coaches that have accepted interview requests from the team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
This "coaches don't want Kyler" story is what happens when Kyler doesn't put himself out there as I said last week.

The huge media void where Kyler's personality should be is being filled by all these negative narratives. If he was out there being likeable and interesting people would be far less inclined to write or believe this stuff. As it is, he makes it easy.

He hasn't done any media in the last year to dispel any of the negativity around him and now the team is paying the price.
He needs his McAfee to get his story out there, a softie who asks sympathetic questions and listens quietly like a 6-year-old schoolgirl.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can answer that for you. There are only 32 HC jobs. If you get an interview offer 90% of people take it. That said, if, like Payton, you get more than one offer you get to make a choice. Payton didn’t choose the Cards. For some, like Quinn, you made decide the offer is so bad you just return to your previous spot. Frankly, I would say Pauline has built his reputation for about 30+ years in the business being used by multiple teams. That makes him pretty invulnerable to sarcasm. Of course maybe it was aimed at me. Feel free to attack me. These days I’m little more than a hobbyist. I think you’ll find Tony is out of your league. As Brit has suggested, I suggest you Google Tony. There are a few with that name so be careful. You will see how many people trust his opinion based on all the groups that have solicited his wisdom. There are few in this business who have more standing. I suggest you pick easier targets.

Tony, Tony, Tony...

Was Tony your source for asserting that Quinn was (a) offered the job and (b) the offer was 'so bad' that he turned it down, or is this simply your bias showing? And what, pray tell, did Tony have to say about Payton actually deigning to visit the Cards?

The point remains that the number of quality candidates being interviewed suggests that the negative Kyler references are exaggerated.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just dont get why the Seahawks didnt draft Ridder. I mean Pauline has 30+ years of experience. How could they get it wrong. How could they pass up Ridder 3 times with Pauline's rep?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here is another interesting tidbit connecting Aaron Glenn to the Cardinals: Apparently he knows Kyler Murray and Kyler’s family. Could Glenn be the father figure that brings out the best in Kyler?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What price? Where's the list of coaches saying no to AZ? Bienemy in 2018? Where's he still at? Ryans this year? Who else did he turn down, because he was Houston or bust? Dan Quinn? Maybe, maybe not. Again, all of the remaining and new candidates aren't cancelling anything with AZ, even when they are one of just 2 left to play with.

Murray's attitude and how he handles the media hasn't changed since day 1 and likely never will. If it bothers the media, that's their issue.
dan quinn.....he decides to stay in dallas,...and suddenly Kellen Moore says screw this **** and bails for the chargers after like 15 years in dallas.
my speculation, is Moore wanted to be HC in dallas,...but Jerry promised the job to quinn if they dont go to the super bowl next year...which pissed moore off so he bailed.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
dan quinn.....he decides to stay in dallas,...and suddenly Kellen Moore says screw this **** and bails for the chargers after like 15 years in dallas.
my speculation, is Moore wanted to be HC in dallas,...but Jerry promised the job to quinn if they dont go to the super bowl next year...which pissed moore off so he bailed.
Moore was on the street for like 38 seconds before the Chargers snapped him up.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
And if Quinn truly turned AZ down (I believe he said no to other teams, too) for a chance to take over in Dallas, can you blame him? That's not a shot at Murray, it's a coach making a decision to choose a team/owner who doesn't hire and fire on a whim. He's been known to keep a heach coach well beyond what the fans and media think...basically he's very loyal to those who are loyal to him.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is another interesting tidbit connecting Aaron Glenn to the Cardinals: Apparently he knows Kyler Murray and Kyler’s family. Could Glenn be the father figure that brings out the best in Kyler?
Aaron and Kevin Murray are a couple of Texas A&M legends. Probably bonded over that.