Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If Payton was hired by the Cards he would not be working for GM Ossenfort. They would both report to Bidwill and Payton would get control over his roster like BA did.
Yup! The apparent player evaluation skills of Monti should be a plus.

I still think it is a longshot but if Murray is looking at the alternative of Brian Flores you would think he'd be involved in the wining and dining process during the visit. DangeRuss is in Denver.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is the first head coach hire I can remember, where the candidates weren't paraded before the media to answer questions, after their interview.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How is a GM supposed to work with a H.C. under him who makes that much more money than he does? Tell me realistically how that relationship is expected to work.
Well Monti said it himself, no ego allowed! I have a superintendent that I pay more than I make because he makes me look good and my life easier.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fair play. I should have had Reid in there. Not the others though.

Shanahan has had as many bad seasons as good and McVay has been lavished with over leveraged talent and struggled as soon as he didn't.

Both very good for sure. Probably top 6. But not sure I'd put them over Carroll or Harbaugh right now, but surely will in years to come.
So in the six year span where all of these guys have coached at the same time, we are going to throw out the guys who has more postseason victories in that span than Belichick had when Belichick had Brady for three of those seasons.

McVay lavished with over leveraged talent? What does that even mean? How is McVay not more accomplished than Harbaugh? He has won the same amount. Been to twice as many in half the years.

Pete Carrol has won 3-6 playoff games since 2014 WITH Russell Wilson as his QB. Shanahan is 6-2 with Jimmy G and Brock Purdy.

Dude, you have to let this one go because there is no statistic out there that is backing your claims up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So in the six year span where all of these guys have coached at the same time, we are going to throw out the guys who has more postseason victories in that span than Belichick had when Belichick had Brady for three of those seasons.

McVay lavished with over leveraged talent? What does that even mean? How is McVay not more accomplished than Harbaugh? He has won the same amount. Been to twice as many in half the years.

Pete Carrol has won 3-6 playoff games since 2014 WITH Russell Wilson as his QB. Shanahan is 6-2 with Jimmy G and Brock Purdy.

Dude, you have to let this one go because there is no statistic out there that is backing your claims up.
PFF grades Carroll 68.4 in 2022 vs 61.5 for Shanahan.

Take the L Chopper.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
…..so we’re being used as leverage.
No - what I was saying is all things being equal he prefers AZ.

Denver does not have much going for them other than ownership. If he cares about having success there aren't much worse situations than being in that division burdened with Russell Wilson.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Would you rather have possibly washed up Russell Wilson or a severely injured Kyler Murray or would you rather have the second pick in this year's NFL Draft and grow your own

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ll be interested to hear why if he decides not to come here. If MB decides to pay up I don’t see why he wouldn’t. The Cards are an easy target for the media when it comes to not getting their guy(rightfully so) whether it’s real or perceived.

If I remember correctly Jay Glazer and Keim were close at one time. All of a sudden he breaks two stories that paint MB in a bad light(Cunningham and Ryan’s). Just seems a little fishy to me. Again though they deserve it based on the past.

MB has a chance to eliminate the perception that has been with the organization for a long time. I’m not saying Payton is the right choice but if it happens MB will have changed that perception and if he doesn’t it will be framed as he was too cheap. Pretty risky position he put himself in unless he plans to pay up.

We will see!

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about how money much Payton wants. It doesn't impact our salary cap. Bidwill has to fit the bill.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
What if the Broncos got the Saints to lower their asking price, let's say a second rounder instead of a first?

And then what if Sean Payton is shopping around the new and more attractive asking price after Denver did all the work negotiating?

Would they cancel any further interviews??
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The draft compensation seems way too high. I could see a second maybe not a first.
I feel like it's a scare tactic. Obviously you start with a high number and then negotiate down from that for what you think you can actually get. And it's dependent on some outside factors.

It hurts the Saints the least to sell a little bit low to the Broncos or Texans, since they're in another conference. We're not in that bad of a spot, but the Panthers would have to give up a lot more since they're gonna play the Saints 2x a year.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just confirmed by Rapapport. Said 2nd Denver interview cancelled BECAUSE of the Cardinal interview. He must like Monti.
Hopefully he recommended Monti to Bidwill? Monti said their paths never crossed though but maybe they didn't wanna give anything away lol?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would you judge them only on the spells they coached at the same time? I should ignore all Pete Carolls previous work because McVay only coached from 2017?

Kyle Shanahan is 52-46 as a HC. He has as many losing seasons as winning ones. Undoubtedly hes a great offensive mind but a top 3 HC? No way.

Pete Carroll has shown an ability to win with weak rosters. How many times have we said in the offseason "This will be the year they suck. That roster is bad" and then they go 11-5? I think every season for the last 5 years we have said that.

McVay again is very good, but he's been fed talent every year with big name trades. The first year he's not had that and they sucked and he showed no ability to cope with adversity.

I have no doubt that in the future both Shanny and McVay will be top 3 HC's but not right now. Harbaugh and Caroll have shown much better ability to cope with adversity and still win with depleted rosters.

This is my opinion. You have yours. We can argue about this all day but neither of us will change our mind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose