Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would you rather have possibly washed up Russell Wilson or a severely injured Kyler Murray or would you rather have the second pick in this year's NFL Draft and grow your own
Well I have a team in NY, called the Jets, and they want to grow their own. And they did, and called him Wilson. Unfortunately in FB, like in life there are few certainties.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of the guys widely looked at as HC candidates I think Steichen and Kellen Moore are the two that come to mind for me. I guess you can include Bienemy.

Looking at what Cincinatti did to Buffalo Lou Anarumo should get some looks. Not any real household names on that roster and the #3 rated defense in the league.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of the guys widely looked at as HC candidates I think Steichen and Kellen Moore are the two that come to mind for me. I guess you can include Bienemy.

Looking at what Cincinatti did to Buffalo Lou Anarumo should get some looks. Not any real household names on that roster and the #3 rated defense in the league.
I've thought about Kellen Moore also.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next season is a write off anyway. Why give a high pick for Payton for a dead season?

Might aswell stick Vance or some other schmuck in for a year and hire Payton next year when he won't cost more than a 4th.
Sure. That will spur on the fan base. Come on man. NOBODY in any organization is going to “ write off” the season. It may turn out that way but public perception in this kind of business is huge.
Hire Vance Joseph and you will see more than a half empty stadium and half in attendance will be the visiting team fans and the other half will be wearing bags.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Sure. That will spur on the fan base. Come on man. NOBODY in any organization is going to “ write off” the season. It may turn out that way but public perception in this kind of business is huge.
Hire Vance Joseph and you will see more than a half empty stadium and half in attendance will be the visiting team fans and the other half will be wearing bags.
Go back to last off-season and read all of the posts and comments from fans on this board claiming the Cards were writing off 2022.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think is even interested in coaching at professional level
I would like if he has role in the organization btw
A football legend, a great person, charismatic, a leader
It would have also a positive impact on Cardinals brand which is one of most irrilevant in the nfl
It won’t be this year. He wants to spend time with the wife & kid. Changing diapers & listening to your wife complain will wear on him though;)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So we should give up a high pick so fans are happier but still have a losing season? How does that make long term sense? Is going 7-10 with Payton worth losing a pick over going 5-12 with someone else?

I doubt we see Kyler before game 6 and nothing like himself until game 10. Fans should already be resetting their expectations for next year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So much is different about this HC coach search, from Bidwill's point of view. I mentioned yesterday how we haven't had an post-interview pressers from the interviewees...I also have noticed we haven't had any reports of coaches being wined and dined at that high end steak house, or other restaurants. Seems that Mike is all business this go around.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we should give up a high pick so fans are happier but still have a losing season? How does that make long term sense? Is going 7-10 with Payton worth losing a pick over going 5-12 with someone else?

I doubt we see Kyler before game 6 and nothing like himself until game 10. Fans should already be resetting their expectations for next year.
Nope. After all this I want no part of Payton and I honestly believe his vision is totally opposite of what Ossenfort mapped out.
Yes everything points to a very tough season. But to hire just anybody to play out 2023 is insane.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go back to last off-season and read all of the posts and comments from fans on this board claiming the Cards were writing off 2022.
But we are talking about a new regime. Everything we do will be aimed at a long term goal, not selling out to fail.
We were coming off an 11-5 season and playoff game. I think fans were more frustrated at the end of last season, the unwarranted extensions and Kyler’s antics. I think fans were wary of the season but writing of 2022? I think that narrative didn’t start until we lost to Seattle in a must game. At that point it became a lost cause.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the high coach salary would affect signing bonuses strictly on cash flow.
i think this is true at some level

the Bidwill kids will want their annual check

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I understand what your saying about next year being kinda a wasted season. But if it’s Payton, it’s for the long haul not just next season. It’s also going to take a season to get this mess cleaned up and pointing forward.

But I don’t give up a first round pick for a coach unless we’re on the doorstep of a superbowl. Send them a few future mid round picks tops.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It is if the following season we go 11-6 because Payton has established his gameplan and undertook the roster turnover he desired going 7-10. Not tough to understand.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Fans should already be resetting their expectations for next year.
Maybe that goes for you too. If the Cards does end up giving high draft capital for Sean Payton, obviously they think he will deliver a winning season - and probably playoff season - right away. I don't know what you base the pessimism on, but mr. Bidwill, Ossenfort, and everyone else can just as easily be correct.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. After all this I want no part of Payton and I honestly believe his vision is totally opposite of what Ossenfort mapped out.
Yes everything points to a very tough season. But to hire just anybody to play out 2023 is insane.
Agree wholeheartedly. Payton’s approach does not fit Monti’s at all. If he’s hired, Monti might as well not have been.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose