Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just because the dots may connect to Flores based on new GMs past doesn’t make it so. I hope the HC is offensive minded because Kyler is the first thing that needs to be fixed, then build from the trenches out.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know the new coach will be whomever our new GM wants it to be. And the answer is simple. When I was a kid before we had a TV I listened to radio and one of my favorite shows was, "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon".

And every show ended with the reminder that the Monti's ALWAYS GOT THEIR MAN.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So we name a GM right before Flores is supposedly about to take a job elsewhere? Makes me think package deal, but the next few days should tell a lot.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Just because the dots may connect to Flores based on new GMs past doesn’t make it so. I hope the HC is offensive minded because Kyler is the first thing that needs to be fixed, then build from the trenches out.
I'm curious who will want to work with him. Cause Kyler can get you canned.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought most people on here wanted a Flores type coach that would not pander to KM? Someone that would be tough on him. Make him be more? No?

"We've seen all the conversations that Flores basically had with Tua, where Flores told Tua at halftime of the Tennessee game -- this has all been reported -- I don't think Flores was shy about telling him, 'Hey, I should've picked Mac Jones.' I don't think he was shy about telling him that. In fact, I know that he wasn't. I remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn't reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, 'Hey, if I'd have knew you were going to be this bad, I would've picked Mac Jones.' "

People want a coach that will challenge Murray, Flores just seems like a prick. There is a difference. It doesn't help that Tua has been much better ever since Flores left.

Flores is reverse Kingsbury. The worst team ever at the start of season, finish strong at the end (only to still miss the playoffs). Two of his 3 teams had 7 game losing streaks.

Look at Kingsburys record after 3 years:

24-24-1

Flores record after 3 years:

24-25

It's just hard for me to imagine that Flores is an upgrade from Kliff. Based on draft hit rates, Flores was also working with more talent than Kliff was.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
We should also probably take into account that Flores may of learned a thing or two from his first go around. Hopefully the experience will ultimately make him a better coach. Plus this past year under Tomlin could have taught him a thing or two about being a little more player friendly since his previous stint was under grumpy Bill.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wilks/McCoy/Rosen flamed out in 1 year
Keim/Kliff have had a 1 1/2-year flameout
We simply can't have another implosion

Why exactly should we consider a volatile personality like Flores?

It's madness if we do.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually feeling the opposite. I think the Cardinals need to return to Great defensive football and want them to concentrate on fixing that side of the ball first. I'm not sold on Kyler being fixable or if he even thinks that he needs to be fixed. Can Kyler play under center and function in a pro style play action offense? Who knows??? But a pro style offense is where I want the Cardinals to go.

I do think the Defense can be fixed faster than the offense. I'd like to see what Flores could do with Collins and Simmons. Should be easier for Zaven in Flores 3-4 Tite Front scheme. Clog the line and stop the run. Baker and Thompson causing confusion for the opposing QB. Draft some defensive studs early. Keep the games close.

On offense bring in some OL pieces via FA and draft a young RB. See if Kyler can run a pro style offense that emphasizes play action more. If he can't cut bait a find a QB in 2024.
My preference is obviously Payton, but I’m slightly warming up to Flores. The Cardinals have been a soft, sissy team in the trenches ever since BA left. They wouldn’t be with Flores running the show. I’m sick and tired of teams physically abusing us on both lines of scrimmage. We need an identity that is more in line with the NFCW. I’m impressed as hell that Flores took a team that lost 7 straight games (mainly due to a ton of injuries) and then proceeded to win 7 straight. Call it whatever you want, but it’s the exact opposite of what we saw here under Kliff. And those that think that Murray couldn’t play for a tough guy like Flores, I disagree. I think it pissed Murray off as to how soft our OL played & I’m certain that it pissed him off down the stretch in 2021 when our D got physically steamrolled week after week the last 6 weeks. I think Flores had every right to be incensed with how the Dolphins dealt with him. Damn, I would love to see what Flores could do with Simmons and Collins. Unless we bring in someone that pulls us away from the finesse defense we’ve seen under Vance, those 2 guys won’t be long in the NFL. Again, my preference is Payton. And the only guy that I cannot see as our HC is Vance. I’m also fine with Flores or Ryans. Would LOVE to see Payton as HC & Flores as DC. Don’t forget that they both have ties to Parcells.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All of the head coaches remaining in the playoffs have offensive backgrounds, and the Cardinals need to fix their young, franchise QB. Flores makes such little sense that the Cardinals just might hire him because, well, they are the Cardinals.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of the head coaches remaining in the playoffs have offensive backgrounds, and the Cardinals need to fix their young, franchise QB. Flores makes such little sense that the Cardinals just might hire him because, well, they are the Cardinals.
Sean McDermott is from a defensive background, but yea I agree with you.