Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's worth reminding ourselves what we should be looking for in a HC.

This is well worth a watch if you want to see what that is. It's long but it's well worth it. They talk some about the Steelers - Cards superbowl if you hang around long enough.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Obviously using an extreme example, but Deion on coaches being buddy buddy with the players.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If we hire a guy like Flores or Ryans...

Thoughts on getting an experienced OC like Frank Reich, Matt Nagy, or Eric Bieniemy?

Bieniemy has a great thing going in KC but isn't getting any credit. If he truly wants to be a HC, he might have to leave KC and prove it somewhere else.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the new coach will be whomever our new GM wants it to be. And the answer is simple. When I was a kid before we had a TV I listened to radio and one of my favorite shows was, "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon".

And every show ended with the reminder that the Monti's ALWAYS GOT THEIR MAN.
Beg to disagree with Monti having total say in the hiring of a HC

I seem to recall MB saying that the new GM would assist him in hiring the new GM.

PS Didn’t Fran Stryker write both Sgt. Preston and the Lone Ranger?

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Obviously using an extreme example, but Deion on coaches being buddy buddy with the players.
Deion walking in to meet his team for the first time and tell them all to pack their bags was the epitome of not being buddy buddy...lol

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Thoughts on getting an experienced OC like Frank Reich, Matt Nagy, or Eric Bieniemy?

Bieniemy has a great thing going in KC but isn't getting any credit. If he truly wants to be a HC, he might have to leave KC and prove it somewhere else.
Reich, yes...I'd actually not mind him as HC.

Nagy, no...I think it's easy to see KC made him and not the other way around...unless he's done things elsewhere I'm not aware of.

Agree on Bieniemy...If he went to another team and had even 90% of the same success, he'd be a HC in 2 years max.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Reich or Caldwell would be fine.

Pass on others

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it's worth reminding ourselves what we should be looking for in a HC.

This is well worth a watch if you want to see what that is. It's long but it's well worth it. They talk some about the Steelers - Cards superbowl if you hang around long enough.

Tomlin would be a dream hire. Would love for the Steelers to fumble and fire him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How is Flores volatile?

How is he any different from Mike Tomlin?

For what it's worth I believe Flores could be the next Tomlin. The qualities that make Tomlin a great HC I see in Flores too. Nobody says Tomlin is defensive or offensive. He's just a HC.
How is Flores any different from Mike Tomlin? Is that a serious question?

Everyone knows that Tomlin is a defensive HC. This is bananas.

The argument for Flores is that you're not all-in on Kyler Murray and comfortable with a higher probability that you're going to have a permanent veteran starter as early as 2024. You'd be good with that as long as you feel like instilling a culture is more important that optimizing your franchise quarterback.

That's a fine argument to make, but it's really hard to make a real argument that you're hiring Flores to get the most out of Kyler Murray. Flores definitely has a vision for what he wants a football team to be; the reason he couldn't get along in Miami is that the owner had a different vision. The owner in Miami is pretty awful, so YMMV on where you apportion blame for that.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Flores needs to be the guy to change the culture of this team. Just need to bring in a badass OC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler seems like a stronger personality than Tua. Might mean more butting heads but I don’t see kyler crumbling mentally the way tua seemed to…
Tua held up under Saban who is tougher than anything Kyler has experienced his college or professional career. I have yet to see Kyler overcome discomfort as an athlete. Maybe this would be a start.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Tua held up under Saban who is tougher than anything Kyler has experienced his college or professional career. I have yet to see Kyler overcome discomfort as an athlete. Maybe this would be a start.
I don't know how much contact Saban has with his actual players, including his quarterbacks, outside of game day, TBH.

Saban is famous for negging his five-star recruits.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How is Flores any different from Mike Tomlin? Is that a serious question?

Everyone knows that Tomlin is a defensive HC. This is bananas.

The argument for Flores is that you're not all-in on Kyler Murray and comfortable with a higher probability that you're going to have a permanent veteran starter as early as 2024. You'd be good with that as long as you feel like instilling a culture is more important that optimizing your franchise quarterback.

That's a fine argument to make, but it's really hard to make a real argument that you're hiring Flores to get the most out of Kyler Murray. Flores definitely has a vision for what he wants a football team to be; the reason he couldn't get along in Miami is that the owner had a different vision. The owner in Miami is pretty awful, so YMMV on where you apportion blame for that.
This is well stated IMO. Something that people need to recognize that if we go with a defensive oriented HC more than likely Kyler stops getting babysat. It will be similar to Josh Allen's situation in Buffalo where Allen had to find additional help outside the organization and on his own to improve.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Frank Reich would probably be the best for Kyler being an ex QB and for Michael since he is still owed by the colts and he could get him cheap lol

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Frank Reich would probably be the best for Kyler being an ex QB and for Michael since he is still owed by the colts and he could get him cheap lol
Not as cheap as you think. I found a great article on that they other day. Apparently when teams try to hire coaches cheap, because they have offset language in previous contracts, the NFLPA and NFL can step in and force the new team to at least pay full market rate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose