Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For funnsies!

Sean McVay was a coach for 9 seasons before getting a HC job. Kafka has been a coach for 7 years. McVay played only 3 years of bad college ball. Kafka played 4 years of good college ball and 5 years of bad NFL ball. McVay was 32 when he got the job, and Kafka is currently 35. McVay went to the SB with Goff and Kafka made Daniel Jones look like an NFL QB!

Sign me up!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
McVay was an offensive coordinator for 3 years before becoming a head coach. Kafka has only been an offensive coordinator for 1 year so far. I think that's a big difference.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So, while we lament (somewhat justifiably so) about how long it's taking to hire a coach...some in the media have been quick to point out the late date and this is the latest date to hire...but I think everyone has forgotten the league has been extended over the years. Games no longer wrap up at Xmas and now extend into the 1st and 2nd week of January. This is a reminder of how long it actually took to hire Tobin.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like Kafka more after doing some reading on him. dude is young though. He was the next quarterback selected behind Colt McCoy in the draft.

connection, though limited... he was signed by the Patriots to backup Brady in 2013... but never made the roster... Monti was in college scouting at the time so its hard to say if they ran into each other.

Andy Reid drafted him... Andy Reid gave him his first nfl coaching gig....Andy Reid pulled him away from Northwestern and put him in charge of Patrick Mahomes.

Dude came up in inner city chicago. he aint from the burbs. that usually instills a toughness, a fight for everything mentality...could be good for a head coach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So, while we lament (somewhat justifiably so) about how long it's taking to hire a coach...some in the media have been quick to point out the late date and this is the latest date to hire...but I think everyone has forgotten the league has been extended over the years. Games no longer wrap up at Xmas and now extend into the 1st and 2nd week of January. This is a reminder of how long it actually took to hire Tobin.

Well that process worked out well! Also, definitely good to look back 30 years — very relevant comparison!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw the 2/7/96 date and then #BirdCityFootball and for a second though... Maybe BirdCity has been around for quite some time. :Dold

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not even going to read 6 pages of people screaming "Mike is so bad. Flores turned us down because Mike sucks so much. This Org is terrible".

Did he turn the Broncos down too? He was set to interview there on Wednesday.

Or did the guy take a job that he was offered over the 1 in 3 shot he might get the job here or the 1 in 3 shot at the Broncos?

It's late in the hiring cycle. The Vikings surely said "We need to know within 24 hours or look at other options". Flores doesn't interview until Thursday and wouldn't know until the weekend. 5 days is a long time to ask the Vikings to wait.

So given the choice between a 100% job as a DC at a team that just went 13-4 who are a defense away from being contenders or the outside 1 in 3 possibility of being the HC of the Cardinals what would most normal people do?

Maybe Flores wasn't confident in being able to put the offensive staff together he needed and felt DC was better for him right now?

Maybe he heard that the Cards were hotter for Kafka or Anurumo and he felt he was an outside bet?

If your first assumption is "He turned us down because we suck. Mike is a joke. The Org has a terrible rep" you might want to give your head a wobble and ask if that was the case why even agree to a 2nd interview in the first place?
I thought us having a delay in hiring didn’t impact us? Seems you’re saying that’s the sole reason Flores turned us down for a DC position. Weird.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was anyone really on fire with positivity when he was hired? He had such a doormat personality.
I had not renewed my season tickets. Then I heard him in a interview liked what I heard. So I decided to go watch a training camp practice and it looked much better than past years. I reupped. Amazingly they were still available! :sarcasm:

But he did not set the town on fire.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's being reported that Brian Flores felt there would be better jobs that open up next year and why he took the coordinator position.

OUCH!!!!

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score

Wasn't Tobin final game as HC the one where we knocked the Vikings out of playoffs on the final play(and killed our draft position)? I could be wrong. All the terrible years are kind of a blur now.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wasn't Tobin final game as HC the one where we knocked the Vikings out of playoffs on the final play(and killed our draft position)? I could be wrong. All the terrible years are kind of a blur now.

That was McGinnis last game. Tobin was fired mid-season, don't remember who we lost to.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Uh.....you don't care about "more" if you love the one you are interviewing for. He didn't even wait.

Well, better to have a bird in the hand (the Minny D-C job) than two in the bush (competition from Lou & Kafka).

Do you actually think that if he had the inside track for the H-C job with the Cards, he would have said, 'no thanks,' I'll take a D-C gig and another crack at it next year?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, better to have a bird in the hand (the Minny D-C job) than two in the bush (competition from Lou & Kafka).
If he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him either. However, the Cards don't appear to be a destination. Why? Not for sure but it's not surprising. Sooner or later the Cards need to change the culture or the dynamic of the team to make it more attractive. Your guess is as good as mine how they do that. Likely only winning will change that.

Reactions: PJ1

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him either. However, the Cards don't appear to be a destination. Why? Not for sure but it's not surprising. Sooner or later the Cards need to change the culture or the dynamic of the team to make it more attractive. Your guess is as good as mine how they do that. Likely only winning will change that.

Then why take the first interview and, more importantly, back out a few days from the final decision?

He had a 1 in 3 chance, didn't like the odds, and had a promotion waiting for his signature in Minny.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Oof

Edit: Listening to the actual interview, Terry says that he told Payton that "he don't want to work with that QB," not that Payton said that to him. The Tweet is a little misleading. Also, Terry is appears to be absolutely hammered.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why take the first interview and, more importantly, back out a few days from the final decision?

He had a 1 in 3 chance, didn't like the odds, and had a promotion waiting for his signature in Minny.
Most people will take a 1/3 odds are you kidding? Likely he thought about it and realized the Cowboys, or Chargers which are higher-profile jobs will be available. Right now his chance was the Cardinals. It's a no brainer.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most people will take a 1/3 odds are you kidding? Likely he thought about it and realized the Cowboys, or Chargers which are higher-profile jobs will be available. Right now his chance was the Cardinals. It's a no brainer.

Yes, it was a 'no brainer': a guaranteed gig in Minny vs a maybe in AZ.

And if Dallas or LAC open up, he's in for some stiff competition.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson