Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If you say "no", you already know that you're comfortable going back to your current position and waiting for another opportunity.
lets be real though:

the diff between HC pay and Coordinator pay is likely $4-5mm per year x 4 years of a guaranteed contract. There is $16mm of an incentive to say "yes"

its not exciting, but i think Mike's problem is he is a bad manager of people. He may ask about retaining Vance, and even say its fine if a HC candidate wants his own guy, and really mean it:

but he lacks enough self-awareness in the situation to know the message he is sending.

I also think this was Keim's problem: I doubt Mike told him what to do, but Keim could divine from Mike's questions what Mike wanted -- so Keim did that. I hope Monti is stronger.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes sense why Mitch & others ran BritCard off while at ROTB.
Pretty sure bashing board members fandom is against rule numero here, but apparently Brit’s allowed to do so without impunity. Makes for real good football discussion to continually be discussing how terrible fans are here as opposed to… actual football.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents!

You all are both wrong and right. You are wrong in your attacks on others' opinions, and that is what most of all this is right now, opinions. And you're all right in your opinions since they are your opinions and yours alone.

My opinion is Kafka is the savior unless he's forced to take VJ, then he is a chump and not the leader I want.

Lead us to the promise land Mike Kafka!

Three years from now, half will be right, and half will be wrong! It's my opinion I'll be right! Which means I'll probably be wrong! But it's just football and doesn't change my life weather we win or lose.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For funnsies!

Sean McVay was a coach for 9 seasons before getting a HC job. Kafka has been a coach for 7 years. McVay played only 3 years of bad college ball. Kafka played 4 years of good college ball and 5 years of bad NFL ball. McVay was 32 when he got the job, and Kafka is currently 35. McVay went to the SB with Goff and Kafka made Daniel Jones look like an NFL QB!

Sign me up!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"KAFCA" just sounds like some official farming agreement the U.S. has with Canada. And Canada isn't very good at football so it's a no from me dog
Hey! I watched some of the CFL games last season on ESPN land thought it was pretty good and entertaining. LOL

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Johnny Venerable of the Giants.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That is how I feel. It's like trying to find a better version of KK. Not psyched.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think forcing is too strong a word

but:

if you are a HC candidate, and the owner asks you if you are ok with keeping Vance.......

you know that saying "no" hurts your chances at the margin.

Guys like Arians were strong enough to say no and not care what happened. Curious if Kafka or Anarumo are.
I would guess if Arians refuses, you acquiesce and let him hire his own staff. With these two, I assume they don’t refuse but rather simply remove their name from consideration for the job. They it is up to Mikey to blink first

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals in their 100+ year history have had only 3 coaches last 6 years. 40 coaches since 1920.
Patriots have had 14 since 1960
Steelers have had 16 since 1939

Payton was a head coach on the list with an amazing credential coming into this hiring process. His record will always be watched by Cardinals fans vs. the coach(es) we end up going through.

I'll bet in 5 years the Broncos still have Payton and have been in the playoffs 5 years and the Cardinals will have went through this hire and won't have the picks they would have traded to get Payton.

Phil dropped Andy Reid after winning multiple seasons
Green Bay dropped Mike McCarthy after winning a lot - he's turned Dallas around and GB has fallen

Winning coaches don't hit the market very often....if smart you take them FAST! As Larry said on should the Cardinals hire Payton, "It's a no brainer."

A great head coach is like the best teacher you ever had. There are a lot of decent teachers, but when you look back at your education...there's a big separation between the decent ones and the best. Now one of the hires the Cards are looking at haven't been a HC at any level....HC vs. being a coordinator is not an easy step.

HC vs $240 million dollar QB?

I don't think Kyler is going to listen to a guy who's never been a head coach after they lose a few games...It's going to be Kyler vs. the HC quick.

Lastly, keeping Vance '30' around is beyond insane! Vance and his 30 point defense was 1/2 of the problem.

Good luck to you in whatever you have going on...

Reactions: PJ1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the Flores deal is interesting

i think he took the DC gig because he concluded he wasnt likely to get the HC gig and wanted something certain.

He concluded this as his first interview was like 10 days ago, and the second was quite some time later. That says that they like you, but dont love you.

I think he was truly interested, otherwise he doesnt accept the second interview.

and fwiw: the length and pace of the process could very well been a turn off at the margin. It speaks to how things get done in an org.

yeah,... then some reporter posts a tweet with "the final two" and he aint on it, just two white guys...until a bit later the finalists get updated and he is on the list... he had to be getting flashbacks from when he got okey doked by the giants... so dude said fug it and took the bird in the hand

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Where did the narrative come from that the Vikings somehow gave Flores a deadline to accept their DC position? Teams very rarely, if ever, try to keep a coach from advancing his career and being a HC is huge advancement over DC. I don't buy that argument one bit. Why would it hurt the Vikes to wait a few days to see if Flores became the Cards HC? I'm sure they already an alternate in mind if Flores declined their position. It makes zero sense. I think it's even more quizzical that Flores announced he was taking the Vikings job a day after being named a finalist among 3.

The fact that 2 of their top candidates, for whatever reason, decided to be defensive coordinators rather than a potential HC at the NFL level is very telling and a very bad look on the Cardinals and mainly on Bidwill. Those coordinator jobs were going to be there regardless.

The coaching world is ultra competitive with everyone striving to get one of those 32 prime jobs. For, not one, but two, to just decide, nah, I'm good with being a coordinator rather than the main guy and running your own ship is pretty remarkable.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would like Lou more than Kafka. Yes both would be new HCs but Lou has been around the block much more. If MB wants to go away from the young upstart OC / HC candidate which was KK and all that eventually came with it good and bad, then Lou seems to be the perfect blend of old school accountability, leadership, fundamentals teacher that would be the better choice even though this would be his first HC job. MB went from one extreme in Wilks to KK as far as coaching style. Lou seems he would be the middle ground of those two

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Where did the narrative come from that the Vikings somehow gave Flores a deadline to accept their DC position? Teams very rarely, if ever, try to keep a coach from advancing his career and being a HC is huge advancement over DC. I don't buy that argument one bit. Why would it hurt the Vikes to wait a few days to see if Flores became the Cards HC? I'm sure they already an alternate in mind if Flores declined their position. It makes zero sense. I think it's even more quizzical that Flores announced he was taking the Vikings job a day after being named a finalist among 3.

The fact that 2 of their top candidates, for whatever reason, decided to be defensive coordinators rather than a potential HC at the NFL level is very telling and a very bad look on the Cardinals and mainly on Bidwill. Those coordinator jobs were going to be there regardless.

The coaching world is ultra competitive with everyone striving to get one of those 32 prime jobs. For, not one, but two, to just decide, nah, I'm good with being a coordinator rather than the main guy and running your own ship is pretty remarkable.
Like most things on here, it's opinion and hypothetical. While true, teams rarely block a coach from advancing, the Vikings were on their 3rd choice with Flores and may have simply given a deadline, so they too can move on to other things.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson