Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Praising Arizona

Something tells me Cardinals won't pretend to be contenders this season

By Dan Arkush ([email protected])
April 17, 2007
You must be registered for see images

In total honesty, I really can’t figure out the Arizona Cardinals at all. Not for the life of me. Every year I see glimmers of promise, and every year those glimmers vanish quickly in the desert air.

Yet, for reasons that I can’t fully explain, I believe this year’s team already has “surprise contender” written all over it, its considerable flaws notwithstanding.

It’s worth noting that the Cardinals, while still under the direction of departed head coach Dennis Green, got a fairly sizable amount of “dark horse” support last offseason.

They had gone out and bought the best free agent money could buy, in the eyes of most league observers, in ex-Colts RB Edgerrin James.

In the first round of the 2006 draft, they selected former Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart, who ended up becoming the new face of the franchise much sooner than expected after Kurt Warner quickly stumbled his way out of the starting QB job.

And they had an eye-popping, new state-of-the art stadium that has to be seen to be believed (I saw it up close in attendance at a preseason game last August, and I’m still not sure I believe it).

But with all those elements in place, the Cardinals were still … the Cardinals, woefully underachieving to the tune of Green’s third straight double-digit losing season.

But despite that disappointing result, the buzz in the desert is back again this offseason, its sole source, at least up to now, courtesy of Ken Whisenhunt, the team’s intriguing new head coach.

The Cardinals did buy themselves some serviceable parts in free agency, but certainly nobody who’s going to knock anybody’s socks off, although new FB Terrelle Smith is a good bet to knock the majority of defenders on their fannies as he plows into them while clearing a path for James.

But really, Whisenhunt is the big story, having wasted little time turning the Cardinals into “Pittsburgh West.”

I hear tell the new regime isn’t too fond of the Steelers analogy that is being frequently mentioned in league circles, but it’s inescapable.
Green’s one-RB, three-WR offense has been replaced by the more standard two-RB version that Whisenhunt coordinated so successfully the past three seasons in Pittsburgh.

Will James have problems adjusting to this version after excelling primarily in one-RB sets? Will Whisenhunt make sure Leinart distributes the ball enough to make all those enticing weapons at his disposal (James, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson) happy?

Perhaps most importantly, will new O-line coach Russ Grimm, who worked with Whisenhunt in the same capacity in Pittsburgh, be able to assemble a cohesive unit capable enough to anchor the power-based, run-oriented attack Whisenhunt has in mind?

The questions only grow in frequency when you consider the other side of the ball, which is where Whisenhunt apparently has ditched his plan to retain the 4-3 defensive scheme that was in place in favor of a very Steelers-like 3-4. At the team’s first voluntary minicamp this past weekend, one observer told me that, “to the naked eye, the 3-4 was used 90 percent of the time.”

Whisenhunt quickly issued the following marching orders at his team’s first offseason gathering:

Darnell Dockett, previously considered one of the more up-and-coming defensive tackles in the NFL when properly focused, lined up at left end.

DEs Bertrand Berry, Chike Okeafor and former first-round pick Calvin Pace had all been turned into hybrid “quasi-end/linebackers,” in the words of Whisenhunt, with Pace looking as though he would be getting a very legitimate shot at taking away playing time from Berry, whose stock appears to have declined somewhat following two straight seasons that ended prematurely due to injury.

LB Karlos Dansby, who came on strong last season after being hurt early, has moved from the strong side to the inside along with Gerald Hayes, where Whisenhunt envisions both of these big, talented playmakers routinely clogging up passing lanes in the middle of the field.

Did I mention yet how much Whisenhunt facially looks like former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher when you really stop and take a good look at him?

What’s really important, according to team sources, is that Whisenhunt has gone out of his way to disassociate himself from any possible connection to Green, who, put simply, left the team in a pretty ugly mess.

Unlike Green, Whisenhunt has made no bold promises. He has only vowed that the team will work really hard to turn things around. Judging by his first camp, his players are on board with him to a man, which is quite a feat, considering how fractured the team’s chemistry had become by the end of the 2006 season.

Here’s the bottom line: Last year’s Cardinals team was much better than its record indicated. With a few different bounces, it could have very easily won eight games instead of five.

My daily Whisenhunt watchers tell me that he and his staff, which appears to have been significantly upgraded, are good for one or two more wins alone.

Could nine or 10 wins really be on the horizon for the Cardinals?

After discovering that their strength-of-schedule percentage was the lowest the league (.461), I was ready to crown them NFC West champs until I realized that the 49ers (30th in the same ranking), Rams (tied for 27th) and Seahawks (24th) were also the beneficiaries of big-time schedule breaks.

Truth be told, the Cardinals’ deck is stacked with serious concerns. Heading into the draft, their offensive line is thinner than a rail at the all-important tackle spots. Their lone tight end of note, second-year Leonard Pope, needs to grow up in a hurry. And whether or not Whisenhunt goes with a 4-3 or a 3-4, the defense is in dire need of some serious run stoppers in the front seven and more depth at cornerback.

All that said, it just doesn’t seem to take much to get on the right track in the NFC West, where a breath of fresh air just might work wonders.
Why not the Cardinals?

For some reason, it’s a question Ken Whisenhunt, who's a breath of fresh air in the desert, has made it impossible for me to ignore.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+West/Arizona/Features/2007/arkush041707.htm

Note: this is from Profootballweekly not Profootballtalk ....

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
3-4 vs. 4-3

According to the article the first mini-camp had the team in the 3-4 90% of the time. I would think that is not indicative of the defense that the team will be in during the season. It's a new, to the team, defense so you have to spend a lot of time introducing it. Now if the they are still devoting most of the time to the 3-4 in TC, then that's another story. It was a good and fair story on the team, by a guy who knows football.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
with Pace looking as though he would be getting a very legitimate shot at taking away playing time from Berry, whose stock appears to have declined somewhat following two straight seasons that ended prematurely due to injury.
Berry on one leg will still be better than Pace.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The questions only grow in frequency when you consider the other side of the ball, which is where Whisenhunt apparently has ditched his plan to retain the 4-3 defensive scheme that was in place in favor of a very Steelers-like 3-4. At the team’s first voluntary minicamp this past weekend, one observer told me that, “to the naked eye, the 3-4 was used 90 percent of the time.”

In all the discussion on the switch to the 3-4 we overlooked that Daryl Blackstock played in Al Groh's 3-4 defense at Virginia. Prior to the 2005 draft he was considered the "perfect outside linebacker for the NFL's 3-4 defenses." I wonder where he'll fit in the Cards plans now and how it would affect his career?

You also have to wonder why the Cards would have drafted a 3-4 LB in the first place.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I just want reality to translate to a big winning seasnon for the Cards. I'm starting to get a good feeling that it will.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO the Cardinals are going Defense with the #5 overall pick.

Adams would be the perfect fit for a 3-4 LB. He could also line up as a traditionaly DE if need be. However he might be gone before the Cardinals pick.

It has also been mentioned before, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Branch with our first pick. We could use another large DT to occupy space and Branch would fill that spot perfectly.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
If we do go defense I hope it's not Branch.....he has some serious physical issues.

Adams would be great for either the 3-4 or 4-3 as would Amobi Okoye.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don: Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again? Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the defensive side of the ball I would rather have Adams, Landry, Okoye, Leon Hall or Revis before him.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want reality to translate to a big winning seasnon for the Cards. I'm starting to get a good feeling that it will.

Ah, see, there you go again. Getting all excited and positive without a shred of evidence yet that this season will be any better. Easy now. Breathe. Relax.

Just tell yourself that anything more than 5 wins is an improvement. :stick:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
OK---let's give them some more grist for their rumor mill!

This just in---I heard from an extremely reliable source that the Cardinals are listening to the the following offer and are strongly considering it:

To the Giants: RB Edgerrin James

To the Cardinals: TE Jeremy Shockey

Straight up.

The Giants have also been asking for DT Kendrick Clancy and are willing to offer their 4th round pick. Thus far the Cardinals have said no on this part of their offer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This just in---I heard from an extremely reliable source that the Cardinals are listening to the the following offer and are strongly considering it:

To the Giants: RB Edgerrin James

To the Cardinals: TE Jeremy Shockey

Straight up.

The Giants have also been asking for DT Kendrick Clancy and are willing to offer their 4th round pick. Thus far the Cardinals have said no on this part of their offer.

PFW?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
throw in Brandon Jacobs and I'll listen.