Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cool!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
With four games to go against some sub-par teams.

They can add onto that record....hopefully at least.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This to me says we have the athleticism and talent on defense we need (aside from pass rush), and we just need to figure out how to translate that into actually preventing large yardage gains.

Of course, I may have just answered that myself. More speed on the outside, and more run/pass blitzes.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DD's recovery was questionable since it was Washington's fumble.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
DD's recovery was questionable since it was Washington's fumble.

Yea and another one of the fumbles recovered for a TD was Levi's stop drop and roll after Hall's got crunched and fumbled near the goal line. But a fumble is a fumble.

To me this is one of those typical Cardinals records we set in large part to our own futility. Kinda like when Martay Jenkins set the record for KO return yardage.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of those fumbles was Max Hall's, though, right?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score

Nine teams offically out of contention, three on verge

CBSSports.com wire reports
Dec. 14, 2010
NEW YORK -- Nine teams have been eliminated from playoff contention as the NFL heads into Week 15.
Out of the running are Washington, Dallas, Minnesota, Detroit and Carolina in the NFC. Gone from the AFC are Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Denver.
On the verge of elimination are Houston (5-8), Tennessee (5-8) and Arizona (4-9). Although San Francisco also is 5-8, it trails first-place St. Louis and Seattle by only one game in the NFC West with three remaining.
New England (11-2) has secured a playoff berth.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14441980/nine-teams-offically-out-of-contention-three-on-verge

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
To me this is one of those typical Cardinals records we set in large part to our own futility. Kinda like when Martay Jenkins set the record for KO return yardage.
:confused: You think that is the same as Kerry Rhodes recovering two fumbles and running them in, Mike Adams recovering a fumble and running it in and Gerald Hayes recovering a fumble and running it in? That is an opportunistic defense.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
:confused: You think that is the same as Kerry Rhodes recovering two fumbles and running them in, Mike Adams recovering a fumble and running it in and Gerald Hayes recovering a fumble and running it in? That is an opportunistic defense.

Well when you set a record for fumble returns for TDs and a third of them came as a result of your own fumbles I don't think the record is all that great.

Its an NFL record and that is something to feel good about I guess but looking at our W-L and the way the defesne has played overall yea I'd put it on par with Jenkins setting the season record for return yards.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Washington hot dogging at the end was especially stupid, considering how many times guys have had the ball stripped out of their hands on similar plays all year, and twice it had happened in Cards games.
As a linebacker you gotta figure there is someone faster than you on that field.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Its an NFL record and that is something to feel good about I guess but looking at our W-L and the way the defesne has played overall yea I'd put it on par with Jenkins setting the season record for return yards.
So you aren't really looking at what THE record is, you are looking at our record and how well the defense has looked in other aspects of the game. Four of those fumbles for touchdowns were us taking advantage of the other team. We didn't get scored on, like Martey's opportunities. He does have the record for most return yards in a season and returns in a season. We did the absolute best thing that a defense could do, we took the ball away and scored with it. I don't play Fantasy Football but is there any way for a defensive player to get more points on one play?

Last edited:
OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Washington hot dogging at the end was especially stupid, considering how many times guys have had the ball stripped out of their hands on similar plays all year, and twice it had happened in Cards games.
As a linebacker you gotta figure there is someone faster than you on that field.
Yep. Thank God DD hustled his ass down the field and was there to recover the fumble.

snowthedirtbub

Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone know the reocrd for most points scored by a kicker in a game. Jay feeley had to break some kind of record but I can no such thing.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
So you aren't really looking at what THE record is, you are looking at our record and how well the defense has looked in other aspects of the game. Four of those fumbles for touchdowns were us taking advantage of the other team.

No I am looking at THE record is. As you say 4 of the fumbles are takeaways from the other team. 4 is not THE record though. THE record is 6 fumbles returned for TDs. 2 of the TDs came from our own fumbles. 2 is one third of 6. Again my whole point is this record was set in large part due to our own futility. Actually in the record setting recoverey's case flat out stupidity.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No I am looking at THE record is. As you say 4 of the fumbles are takeaways from the other team. 4 is not THE record though. THE record is 6 fumbles returned for TDs. 2 of the TDs came from our own fumbles. 2 is one third of 6. Again my whole point is this record was set in large part due to our own futility. Actually in the record setting recoverey's case flat out stupidity.
This is all semantics but...I get caught up in them.

In 2000 Martay Jenkins broke the NFL record for kickoffs returned with 82. Take away 16 of those kickoffs for the start of a half and we were scored on 66 times. 80.5% of the kickoffs were due to our futility. This year we have recovered 6 fumbles for touchdowns, 2 while we have possession, so 33.3% were due to our "futility". I would even argue that because I guarantee you it's easier to return a kickoff than it is to outfight the other team for a loose ball. But they are on par? We hold this record because of our futility?

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
This is all semantics but...I get caught up in them.

In 2000 Martay Jenkins broke the NFL record for kickoffs returned with 82. Take away 16 of those kickoffs for the start of a half and we were scored on 66 times. 80.5% of the kickoffs were due to our futility. This year we have recovered 6 fumbles for touchdowns, 2 while we have possession, so 33.3% were due to our "futility". I would even argue that because I guarantee you it's easier to return a kickoff than it is to outfight the other team for a loose ball. But they are on par? We hold this record because of our futility?

As I have already stated several times and has been my point this whole time, YES, in large part.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
That is a stupid record if it includes TDs from recovering your own fumbles. Then you could fumble on purpose near the goal line, and have a teammate pick it up to add to the record. I bet the Raiders record in 1978 included the Holy Roller recovered by Dave Casper against San Diego, it was about that time.

Having said that, 4 defensive fumbles for TDs is good on its own.