Cardinals acquire RT Marcus Gilbert

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Typical Cardinal move. Pick up an injury prone O-Lineman on the downside of his career. I understand the appeal, but with Cardinal luck on his side, he'll be on injured reserve by week 4. I hope I'm wrong.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Good pickup.

Honestly, the complaints here are laughable. You'd rather have a 6th round lineman who has never put his hand in the dirt? I do agree that we can't count on oft-injured guys, but this is an aggressive move to replace one of the most painfully deficient spots on our team.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
Simply not true, another false statement some keeping saying here about Murray!!! 80% of his passes came from the pocket last season. Plus it helps when you’re in the shotgun most of the time.

Nice try though lol

Yes thats right he was technically in the pocket but go watch the tape and where he stands when its a throwing play.

In the shotgun about 8 yards back plus a 2 or 3 step drop back after the snap, so yes you cant say hes outside the pocket but i think he is purposely very far from the line (10+ yards often)

Not necessarily a bad thing just a different style but I do think he needs a very solid OL to do well, would you be confident he could stand strong and make throws as the pocket is surrounding and closing in on him with D lineman 3 yards away?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't know. Living in Pittsburgh, I can tell you he's always injured. WTF, Keim, is with you and damaged OLmen? I mean, it's low-risk in that it's a 6th round pick, but it's also high-risk in that you're counting on him as your starter, meaning you aren't going out and getting a different starter. Eh.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you & i thought about that also. Hopefully we aren't done drafting & signing players on the off line? I want them to sign another big name free agent left guard or draft one. Shipley will be back & cole can rotate between center & guard. Lupati is too injury prone. Keep Cunningham maybe & draft a few in the 4-5 rounds. I'm not sure how many off linemen they keep each yr but if I had to guess right now, 8 would be a good number. Humphries, cole, Shipley, Pugh & Gilbert. That's 5 right there not counting lupati & Cunningham. Lupati I'm not sure of his contract yrs or even if they plan on keeping him, I think Cunningham may be a UFA?

Iupati is a FA.

On average they carry 10 during season.
.Go to Spotrac for present under contact and add Vujnovich who has signed RFA

At this point, they need a starting LG or RG depending on where the start Pugh.

Reaction score
I don't know. Living in Pittsburgh, I can tell you he's always injured. WTF, Keim, is with you and damaged OLmen? I mean, it's low-risk in that it's a 6th round pick, but it's also high-risk in that you're counting on him as your starter, meaning you aren't going out and getting a different starter. Eh.

Would you like them to sign Saffold? He's only played 16 games 3 times in his 9 year career. I know many on here are wanting to go after him in FA.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It’s like someone said earlier the good OL who are never injured are never available. I’ve heard people mention Daryl Williams of Carolina as a target, he has started 16 games only once in his 4 year career, Trent Brown—only twice in four years, Ja’Wuan James 3 times in 5 years and each one of those players would have cost much more with guaranteed money attached on multiple year deals.

If the team doesn’t draft an OT they feel they can develop then that is negligence.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Simply not true, another false statement some keeping saying here about Murray!!! 80% of his passes came from the pocket last season. Plus it helps when you’re in the shotgun most of the time.

Nice try though lol

I thank you for making another point for me to show he will not be a good fit. He played in shotgun because it got him further back form LOS so he had a better view, no NFL offense runs primarily in the shotgun, so add taking snaps from under center as another thing he is going to have to learn....pass.

Yes thats right he was technically in the pocket but go watch the tape and where he stands when its a throwing play.

In the shotgun about 8 yards back plus a 2 or 3 step drop back after the snap, so yes you cant say hes outside the pocket but i think he is purposely very far from the line (10+ yards often)

Not necessarily a bad thing just a different style but I do think he needs a very solid OL to do well, would you be confident he could stand strong and make throws as the pocket is surrounding and closing in on him with D lineman 3 yards away?

:cheers:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is he being counted on to be the starter or is he insurance if Cunningham doesn't develop? I would that the Cards are hoping Cunningham will be a starter and Gilbert is a better insurance policy then only Wetzel and/or bringing back Barksdale, who has issues of his own. Gilbert is a top RT when healthy, fairly cheap and you can cut him w/o any cap hit if he doesn't work out.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Is he being counted on to be the starter or is he insurance if Cunningham doesn't develop? I would that the Cards are hoping Cunningham will be a starter and Gilbert is a better insurance policy then only Wetzel and/or bringing back Barksdale, who has issues of his own. Gilbert is a top RT when healthy, fairly cheap and you can cut him w/o any cap hit if he doesn't work out.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
IMO its both. I think they will start him and keep developing Cunningham... the kid played fairly well last year all things considered...added strength and experience can only help. but adding this guy gives us a top notch starter, at least for a while...and if he doesnt get hurt then its all the better for the team and for cunningham.
but I also think they plan to draft an OT this year.

Reactions: HGC

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Don't they all play out of the shotgun now, except for a few plays a game? :shrug:
in college most do. But in the NFL it is still most common for the QB to be under center....you see certain guys...like Rodgers spend most of his time in a shotgun formation

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Don't they all play out of the shotgun now, except for a few plays a game? :shrug:
No...TB12 and Goff took more snaps under center than all other QBs....almost 70% of the time. They run wide open passing games from under center.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
And Cards biggest issue was that they ran the ball from under center 69% of the time and passed from under center only 31% of the time...completely tipping off defenses on what the play call would likely be.

This stat, alone, gives me hope for Rosen under KK's tutelage. It's not just about a balanced offense...it's about not being predictable when you're at the LOS. Imagine being on defense against the Cards and knowing if they are under center, you have a 70% chance of playing the run and being correct? That's ridiculous. The Cards don't have enough talent to overcome predictable play-calling at this point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
can't wait for week 8 when we're starting guys off the street and everyone lauding this move is defending Keim because there was no way anyone could have seen these injuries coming to the LT and RT... again.

That's 4.9 million dollars that can't be spent on someone who will actually be on the field. Not a fan. Hope to be proven wrong but time and time and time and time and time and time again Keim has signed or wasted high picks on perpetually injured players and more often than not those guys come as advertised... sitting on the bench.
What I would is the biggest mistake the Cardinals have made is in counting on these guys to be healthy. Pairing Gilbert with Cunningham is not a bad mix. The questions are who are Cardinals going to have behind Humphries and Pugh because those backups are going to be important.