Cardinals acquire RT Marcus Gilbert

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point the Cardinals are going to have to reboot the whole line by finding five guy who can play all 16 games and then upgrade from there.

Welcome to the NFL.

I don't think there is a team in the league who hasn't had their share of injuries on the OL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Humphries - ???
??? - ???
Cole - Shipley
Pugh - ???
Gilbert - Cunningham

That is where we are at some far. Looking at it from that lens, you see what the plan probably is. Pair vet with youth to blend short term fixes with long term ones. Also is a pretty decent OG class so I imagine you can pencil a pick in there somewhere. I won't be shocked if we pursue TJ Lang to shore things up pre-draft.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries - ???
??? - ???
Cole - Shipley
Pugh - ???
Gilbert - Cunningham

That is where we are at some far. Looking at it from that lens, you see what the plan probably is. Pair vet with youth to blend short term fixes with long term ones. Also is a pretty decent OG class so I imagine you can pencil a pick in there somewhere. I won't be shocked if we pursue TJ Lang to shore things up pre-draft.

Do you like Lindstrom?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems like a certainty. Brace yourself for another year derailed by injuries to the offensive line.

At some point the Cardinals are going to have to reboot the whole line by finding five guy who can play all 16 games and then upgrade from there.

I believe there was only one line last season that was intact for 16 games.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we keep pugh, humphries and the center Mason we will need a very mobile gb

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Humphries - ???
??? - ???
Cole - Shipley
Pugh - ???
Gilbert - Cunningham

There was a Detroit story saying Lang is contemplating retirement, so he may not be an option.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries - ???
??? - ???
Cole - Shipley
Pugh - ???
Gilbert - Cunningham

Will Holden (T)
J. Vujnovich RFA has re-signed.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Let's not try and compare Barksdale to Gilbert because there is no comparison. Gilbert is a waaaayyyy better RT than Barksdale and doesn't have the baggage Barksdale carries.
And yet you can’t help the club from the tub :mrgreen:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't wait for week 8 when we're starting guys off the street and everyone lauding this move is defending Keim because there was no way anyone could have seen these injuries coming to the LT and RT... again.

That's 4.9 million dollars that can't be spent on someone who will actually be on the field. Not a fan. Hope to be proven wrong but time and time and time and time and time and time again Keim has signed or wasted high picks on perpetually injured players and more often than not those guys come as advertised... sitting on the bench.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't wait for week 8 when we're starting guys off the street and everyone lauding this move is defending Keim because there was no way anyone could have seen these injuries coming to the LT and RT... again.

That's 4.9 million dollars that can't be spent on someone who will actually be on the field. Not a fan. Hope to be proven wrong but time and time and time and time and time and time again Keim has signed or wasted high picks on perpetually injured players and more often than not those guys come as advertised... sitting on the bench.

Who would you rather the Cardinals go after on the OL and how much should they spend for a FA OT?

Or who should they draft this year?

Or are you OK with who they have on the roster?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keep in mind he can be cut . He still has to pass a physical and make the team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Keep in mind he can be cut . He still has to pass a physical and make the team.

I would think he’d have to pass the physical before the trade would be official. He can be cut in camp with zero cap consequences though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who would you rather the Cardinals go after on the OL and how much should they spend for a FA OT?

Or who should they draft this year?

Or are you OK with who they have on the roster?

I think they should spend big money on Trent Brown, cut Humphries who's worthless because he'll be injured by week 6 and haven't looked at who's available yet otherwise in FA or the draft.

again, people can say we got him cheap... but look at Humphries, Pugh and Gilbert's last two seasons and you know what you'll find... you get what you pay for. Literally NONE of those guys can stay healthy. Going into a season with them as the building blocks for the line is an exercise in futility... that we've seen run for years already.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think they should spend big money on Trent Brown, cut Humphries who's worthless because he'll be injured by week 6 and haven't looked at who's available yet otherwise in FA or the draft.

again, people can say we got him cheap... but look at Humphries, Pugh and Gilbert's last two seasons and you know what you'll find... you get what you pay for. Literally NONE of those guys can stay healthy. Going into a season with them as the building blocks for the line is an exercise in futility... that we've seen run for years already.

Gilbert isn’t a building block, he is a placeholder, a bridge guy...he holds the spot down until Cunningham is deemed ready (or a draft pick). It’s not much of a gamble when all he costs you was a 6th round pick and is being paid $4.9 million, none of which is guaranteed...it’s a 1 year rental.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't the Giants do that with Nate Solder last year? Pay top dollar for a maybe average LT.

Also lets not forget that Brown had a work ethic and injury history with the Niners which is why they let him go for so cheap to the Patriots in the first place.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the Giants do that with Nate Solder last year? Pay top dollar for a maybe average LT.

Also lets not forget that Brown had a work ethic and injury history with the Niners which is why they let him go for so cheap to the Patriots in the first place.

top dollar for average LT is better than top dollar for average LT who's ALWAYS injured. And I think Trent Brown is more talented than Stumphries.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gilbert isn’t a building block, he is a placeholder, a bridge guy...he holds the spot down until Cunningham is deemed ready (or a draft pick). It’s not much of a gamble when all he costs you was a 6th round pick and is being paid $4.9 million, none of which is guaranteed...it’s a 1 year rental.

I understand that. I'm talking about a block for THIS O-line, which is either going to have a 2nd year QB they got killed last year or a rookie.

I'd rather not "gamble" again that way leaving a rocked Rosen or a rookie facing the exact same scenario as last season.

Hope to be proven wrong, but perpetually injured guys end up perpetually injured. Y'all can be shocked and Charlie Brown'd by Lucy again. I'm just beyond skeptical of an approach that has been DISASTROUS on the 0-line for the last three years.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If the team decides to sign him to an extension before he even sets foot on the field this offseason then I will join Cheesebeef in hating this deal.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pugh is way worse than Humphries. He should not be starting, but probably will be because we are paying him so much. At least he is likely to get hurt after 5 or 6 games.

Humphries is an above average run blocker and a slightly below avg pass blocker when healthy, Pugh sucks at both. Mason Cole was pretty terrible too last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson