Cardinals' 2018 Off-Season Proposal 1.0

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Would love to create a buzz and some much needed new energy for the 2018 Cardinals. Here's one detailed proposal:

HC: John DeFilippo

11 years of NFL experience working primarily with QBs. Was the OC at Cleveland for one year and, imo, showed promise as a play caller. His recent work with Carson Wentz and Nick Foles (as their QB coach) has garnered him some national attention. Loves to put in a package of new wrinkles each week to give his QBs a competitive edge. Has tremendous passion and energy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OC: Greg Knapp

10 years as an offensive coordinator (SF, ATL, OAK, SEA), 9 years as a QB coach (SF, HOU, DEN). Was QB coach when the Broncos won the Super Bowl three years ago. John DeFilippo credits Knapp for much of what he's learned as a QB coach and OC. Knapp is currently interviewing for the Falcons' QB coach job, but a chance to be OC in Arizona and reunite with JDF would be his preference. Would share the play calling with JDF, depending on situations.

DC: Kris Richard

Very surprising to see the Seahawks let him go. Talk about energy and attention to detail. Richard Sherman always raves about him and calls his game preparations "meticulous." "He prepares us for every possible scenario," Sherman says. Richard is a legitimate HC candidate down the line. Very much in the Steve Wilks mode. Passionate, aggressive and demanding.

UFAs:

QB Tyrod Taylor (BUF)---(assuming he is released, as expected). 2 year deal with incentives. Could thrive under JDF with a stronger supporting cast.

DE/DT Mitch Unrein (CHI)---his versatility for the 43 is attractive.

TE Trey Burton (PHI)---a TE with WR speed and skill. Philly loves him, but the Cards under JDF would feature him more. 4 year deal.

WR Cody Latimer (DEN)---late bloomer whose best football is ahead of him. Got a little lost in the Broncos' WR shuffle. His salary should be very reasonable. 1 year "prove it" deal.

LB Todd Davis (DEN)---tackling machine who becomes the MLB and leader of the defense. 4 year deal.

G Josh Klein (HOU)---solid in all areas. 4 year deal.

CB Tramon Williams (AZ)---returns as starting RCB on 2 year deal.

RB Kerwynn Williams (AZ)---returns as #2 RB on 2 year deal.

G Alex Boone (AZ)---returns as starting LG (Mike Iupati released) on 2 year deal.

DE Kareem Martin (AZ)---switch to 43 suits him as #3 DE.

2018 NFL Draft:

Trade: The Cardinals trade the #15, #79 and their 2019 3rd round pick to the Bears for the #8 pick.

1. QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma. Premier playmaker worth trading up for.

2. WR Anthony Miller, Memphis. Just the kind of quick, tough, sure-handed slot WR the Cardinals need.

3 (comp). S Marcus Allen, Penn St. Good length and playmaking ability. Can cover TEs and deep middle.

4 (comp). FB Dmitiri Flowers, Oklahoma. The return of the FB to AZ and they get a real good one here.

5. C Bradley Bozeman, Alabama. Could start from day one.

5. (comp). CB Tony Brown, Alabama. Strong, tough.

6. G Sean Welsh, Iowa. Consummate battler and technician.

6. (comp.) DE Andrew Brown, Virginia. Good size at 6-4 280. Has raw pass rush ability.

7. QB Nick Shimonek, Texas Tech. Iowa transfer with good size who had some big wins.

I tried to make this as reasonable as I could. I considered many other options if you want to ask about a player or coach. Thus, I am eager to hear your thoughts.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont like the free agents additions
I think we need a top 3 free agent guard and a wr better then latimer

I like your mock draft btw

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Dont like the free agents additions
I think we need a top 3 free agent guard and a wr better then latimer

I like your mock draft btw

I think G Josh Klein is a top 3 UFA G. Check him out. Has the 2nd highest PFF rating (74.1) behind Andrew Norwell (whom I believe will be tagged by CAR).

Yes, we probably could do better than Latimer, but I have a hunch that he is ready to break out and could be a steal. I'd like to see us land Jarvis Landry, but I don;t see that happening. I am also very intrigued with Eric Decker as a possibility. Who do you like?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I would like G Andrew Norwell and WR Jarvis Landry. Cut Iupati, Mauro, and Dawson

I agree, if we could outbid the others, but I can't envision that happening, at least not this year. Hope I'm wrong.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I think G Josh Klein is a top 3 UFA G. Check him out. Has the 2nd highest PFF rating (74.1) behind Andrew Norwell (whom I believe will be tagged by CAR).

Yes, we probably could do better than Latimer, but I have a hunch that he is ready to break out and could be a steal. I'd like to see us land Jarvis Landry, but I don;t see that happening. I am also very intrigued with Eric Decker as a possibility. Who do you like?

I can’t recall any guards being tagged in recent history. A 15M+ cap number for the franchise tag is hard to see. But it could happen.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love the coaching staff! Shurmur was my guy, but now that he seems to be headed elsewhere, JDF is really growing on me. Always been a fan of Rishard.

FA seems reasonable. What are you thinking we do with Buc? Brice Butler is another big WR that wouldn't break the bank too.

I'm still evaluating QBs but that package for Baker seems legit. I have been focusing on bigger WR, but just watched film of Miller last night and was blown away! Big strong hands for a smaller WR. ABrown like ability to adjust to ball in the air and make contested catches.

A few others players that have caught my attention after round one are CB Carlton Davis, DT RJ McIntosh, OG Braden Smith, OC Rankow, TE Goedert.

Great work Mitch

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Love the coaching staff! Shurmur was my guy, but now that he seems to be headed elsewhere, JDF is really growing on me. Always been a fan of Rishard.

FA seems reasonable. What are you thinking we do with Buc? Brice Butler is another big WR that wouldn't break the bank too.

I'm still evaluating QBs but that package for Baker seems legit. I have been focusing on bigger WR, but just watched film of Miller last night and was blown away! Big strong hands for a smaller WR. ABrown like ability to adjust to ball in the air and make contested catches.

A few others players that have caught my attention after round one are CB Carlton Davis, DT RJ McIntosh, OG Braden Smith, OC Rankow, TE Goedert.

Great work Mitch

I think the Cardinals sign Deone Bucannon to a 3-4 year deal in the $6-7M per year range and he plays SOLB in the 43 opposite WOLB Hasaan Reddick. Thus we need a 43 MLB, which is why i would love Todd Davis of the Broncos.

Good call on Brice Butler! I agree.

Love CB Carlton Davis and C Frank Ragnow. If they are our picks in Rounds 2 & 3, I'd be very happy. I think Davis won't get past the Pats at pick #43. We pick at #47 in round 2.

Great work yourself, OC75.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I can’t recall any guards being tagged in recent history. A 15M+ cap number for the franchise tag is hard to see. But it could happen.

I think they tag him just to keep negotiating with him until they get a deal done. I don't think they'll want him out on the market.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lean toward DeFilippo as HC but question whether he has enough experience coaching at a high level.

Dunno about the coordinators Mitch proposes.

One thing - If we go with a young dude, he should be part of a package that includes field-tested, savvy coordinators.

One other thing - What do MB and SK want their team to look like? Personally, I'd like us to play balls-out on both sides of the ball (Just because BA is gone doesn't mean we should throw all biscuits out the window).

Coaching hires and player moves should reflect the above vision of what the team should look like.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Like most of it except the qbs. Tyrod Taylor does nothing for me even as a bridge qb. I don't think Mayfield will be much of a pro. Great college qb with 1 of the best OLines. I'd try for Jackson, Allen or Rudolph instead.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice thoughts Mitch. There seems a strong need for a change in philosophy with Rams and 9ers upsurge.

Highlights for me from your picks;

TE Trey Burton (PHI)---a TE with WR speed and skill. Philly loves him, but the Cards under JDF would feature him more. 4 year deal.

WR Cody Latimer (DEN)---late bloomer whose best football is ahead of him. Got a little lost in the Broncos' WR shuffle. His salary should be very reasonable. 1 year "prove it" deal.

G Josh Klein (HOU)---solid in all areas. 4 year deal.

G Alex Boone (AZ)---returns as starting LG (Mike Iupati released) on 2 year deal.

2018 NFL Draft:

Trade: The Cardinals trade the #15, #79 and their 2019 3rd round pick to the Bears for the #8 pick.

1. QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma. Premier playmaker worth trading up for.

2. WR Anthony Miller, Memphis. Just the kind of quick, tough, sure-handed slot WR the Cardinals need.

3 (comp). S Marcus Allen, Penn St. Good length and playmaking ability. Can cover TEs and deep middle.

4 (comp). FB Dmitiri Flowers, Oklahoma. The return of the FB to AZ and they get a real good one here.

6. G Sean Welsh, Iowa. Consummate battler and technician.

6. (comp.) DE Andrew Brown, Virginia. Good size at 6-4 280. Has raw pass rush ability.

7. QB Nick Shimonek, Texas Tech. Iowa transfer with good size who had some big wins.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Like most of it except the qbs. Tyrod Taylor does nothing for me even as a bridge qb. I don't think Mayfield will be much of a pro. Great college qb with 1 of the best OLines. I'd try for Jackson, Allen or Rudolph instead.

The bridge QB is tricky. I thought about trading for Alex Smith, but thought it was better to trade for the QBOF instead. Then I thought about A.J. McCarron, but his waiting on an appeal to become a UFA and there's no way i am giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. I have always liked Tyrod Taylor and i think he would be a great signing.

I think that if Allen was on the board at #8 he would be the pick. I don't think he gets by the Broncos or the Jets.

JDF would lick his chops to get his hands on Allen who has Carson Wentz size and skill and an even stronger arm and faster set of legs.

I think there's a decent chance that Jackson and Rudolph will be still on the board at #15. But Baker Mayfield's all-around skill set is what has sold me on him. i think he is going to be very good.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now if Mitch had suggested Mason Rudolph...... :trout:.

BTW, I would be happy with M R which might not require a trade up.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, here is my plan. Bring in John DeFilippo as HC. When Nick Foles wins Philly the Super Bowl, the fans will demand he starts going forward so we trade for Wentz.

Think about it, his name is Carson, so it only seems logical to work.

:sarcasm:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The bridge QB is tricky. I thought about trading for Alex Smith, but thought it was better to trade for the QBOF instead. Then I thought about A.J. McCarron, but his waiting on an appeal to become a UFA and there's no way i am giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. I have always liked Tyrod Taylor and i think he would be a great signing.

I think that if Allen was on the board at #8 he would be the pick. I don't think he gets by the Broncos or the Jets.

JDF would lick his chops to get his hands on Allen who has Carson Wentz size and skill and an even stronger arm and faster set of legs.

I think there's a decent chance that Jackson and Rudolph will be still on the board at #15. But Baker Mayfield's all-around skill set is what has sold me on him. i think he is going to be very good.
you really think Miller is going to make it to the middle of the second round?

He might look like it right now but draft boards are going to shuffle between January and april... if he has a great combine he might even go top 15

generally the draft follows the tape for the most part and those who have a great combine just solidify themselves as a top pick.... obviously every year there are a couple who move up without the film to justify it... but rarely does a great player drop an entire round without there being a reason....criminal allegations, multiple failed drug tests, injury concerns, etc.

In the case of a WR one must also look at who their QB was in college.... then ask yourself,....did the QB make the WR?? Or did the WR make the QB?

Take a look at Sam Darnold last season versus this past season... his stats are still decent but nowhere near as stellar..... then notice he lost one JuJu Smith-Schuster in the off season... Juju posted over 900 yards and 7 TD's as an NFL rookie so obviously he was a big loss to Darnold...which showed in the stats...

Miller played in college with a whodat QB... the fact that he didnt have a top notch QB throwing to him has to be considered when evaluating him as a pro One could even argue that Miller carried his team at times... the only real knock on Miller other than size is the level of competition... but 9 catches with 2 TD's against UCLA and 4 catches and a TD Vs Iowa State indicate that he can produce against higher competition as well.

sorry man, drinking coffee over here...

the point is, I dont think Miller will drop to us in the second round.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
you really think Miller is going to make it to the middle of the second round?

He might look like it right now but draft boards are going to shuffle between January and april... if he has a great combine he might even go top 15

generally the draft follows the tape for the most part and those who have a great combine just solidify themselves as a top pick.... obviously every year there are a couple who move up without the film to justify it... but rarely does a great player drop an entire round without there being a reason....criminal allegations, multiple failed drug tests, injury concerns, etc.

In the case of a WR one must also look at who their QB was in college.... then ask yourself,....did the QB make the WR?? Or did the WR make the QB?

Take a look at Sam Darnold last season versus this past season... his stats are still decent but nowhere near as stellar..... then notice he lost one JuJu Smith-Schuster in the off season... Juju posted over 900 yards and 7 TD's as an NFL rookie so obviously he was a big loss to Darnold...which showed in the stats...

Miller played in college with a whodat QB... the fact that he didnt have a top notch QB throwing to him has to be considered when evaluating him as a pro One could even argue that Miller carried his team at times... the only real knock on Miller other than size is the level of competition... but 9 catches with 2 TD's against UCLA and 4 catches and a TD Vs Iowa State indicate that he can produce against higher competition as well.

sorry man, drinking coffee over here...

the point is, I dont think Miller will drop to us in the second round.

There are a number of talented WRs early on in this draft. Much may depend on Miller's 40 at the combine. I think you are probably correct, so maybe this was wishful thinking.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are a number of talented WRs early on in this draft. Much may depend on Miller's 40 at the combine. I think you are probably correct, so maybe this was wishful thinking.
I like Miller... but I have focused on us taking either QB or oline in the first round so I never really considered him an option... plus I think we need a big WR... like Harry said, we have agudosi... but until he puts some production on tape we cant put any stock in him being on the roster... this is why I have been focused mostly on Simmie Cobbs and Auden Tate...two big guys who have produced, have good hands and top notch athleticism... but should both be second round picks. Both of them produced with whodat QB's too.

but ya never know...being over 6'4" if they have great combines they could go before our second round pick too

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I like Miller... but I have focused on us taking either QB or oline in the first round so I never really considered him an option... plus I think we need a big WR... like Harry said, we have agudosi... but until he puts some production on tape we cant put any stock in him being on the roster... this is why I have been focused mostly on Simmie Cobbs and Auden Tate...two big guys who have produced, have good hands and top notch athleticism... but should both be second round picks. Both of them produced with whodat QB's too.

but ya never know...being over 6'4" if they have great combines they could go before our second round pick too

We have lacked a speedy playmaking slot WR for years. Every year i keep campaigning for one, and we never add one. Smoke and Fire were too frail to play in the slot. Only Fitz and thank goodness for Fitz, but he's on the verge of retiring.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We have lacked a speedy playmaking slot WR for years. Every year i keep campaigning for one, and we never add one. Smoke and Fire were too frail to play in the slot. Only Fitz and thank goodness for Fitz, but he's on the verge of retiring.
of course...speed is essential to some degree. But even when JB was healthy how often did he actually get behind the defense?? Every season we see slower WR's get wide open more often than we saw it from JB...play design and route skill is just as, if not more, important... the difference between 4.4 and 4.32 isnt that great in most cases..

Those two guys I mentioned, while being over 6'4"..are also "expected" to run right about 4.4 at the combine.

I would rather have the guy who runs 1/10th of a second slower but has 5 more inches of height...if everything else is basically equal

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we move to a 4-3 and our starting OLBs are Buc and Reddick, where do you see Golden and Jones? DE?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard