CAR 49 AZ 15 Thoughts

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He didn't look fine. He never was able to throw it down the field with accuracy after that. Our blowout of the pack included. His confidence and decision making deteriorated each game after that. He forced balls, pressed and threw balls into the ground at the feet of the receivers on short crossing routs because he lacked the confidence he had displayed earlier in the season. As much mental or more so, but the finger triggered it in my opinion.

Yessir

Buckybird

Reaction score
whatever helps you sleep better at night Buck. His finger had nothing to do with his atrocious decision making all playoffs long.

I'm just going by how his play drastically changed his last 4 games out of 24.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Good write up as always Walter. The team really has to look at this game and see we need to really upgrade the defense. Our front seven is not very good. We need another CB to go with Peterson. Our upcoming draft and free agency should be spent completely on defense. We are stuck with Palmer at QB and he is only going to get worse as he ages. He can do a good job during the season but I think we will need to make him a game manager in the playoffs. Steve Keim needs to break the bank for pass rushers this off season. It's the only way we will have a shot at a Super Bowl.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch.

1) how many years have we talked about needing dominant speedier edge rushers? Change the philosophy of bigger is better than speed! Like a broken record, we keep adding solid players at the position instead of difference makers.

2) ignoring the ILB position was a major mistake (Spoon was never great in Atl). Can Buc add weight to be a stud or does he need to play S?

3) nastier & better players are needed in the interior of the O & Dlines.

4) time for another CB opposite PP. I was dead wrong about Bethel, he's not that good & never gets he head around to play the ball.

Every year us fans state the team needs a speedy edge rusher and also an ILB. Hopefully they address these needs. One thing IMOP they need to address is a QBOF to sit behind and learn from Palmer. Palmer may have 2 years left at the max.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going by how his play drastically changed his last 4 games out of 24.

I'm just going to go by the fact that overwhelmingly throughout Palmer's career, he's played much worse in pressure situations.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The whole point of getting Carson in the first place is to throw the ball a long way in very tight NFL windows.

The typical treatment for a dislocated finger is a splint for 3 to 6 weeks. Playing with it means it's never going to heal.

To say it wasn't the problem is just everyone playing the NFL don't use injuries as an excuse card.

It's pretty obvious it screwed up his season but they can't say that either or other teams would just tee off on us.

The whole reason the game plan didn't work was we couldn't go deep and it wasn't even close after that they unleashed the hounds on us and it was over. He completes one of those bombs the game opens up and it's completely different as an outcome.

You take away the strength of a team and it's over and the team looked like it had figured this out.

To me it makes the most sense they were clicking along then this happened and slowly it eroded everything.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm just going to go by the fact that overwhelmingly throughout Palmer's career, he's played much worse in pressure situations.

If that makes you feel better sure but in that case what are you going to do for the next two or three years?

Wouldn't it be better to assume it was his finger given you're trapped with him?

I think if you can't do what you know you need to do to win a game and have to play that game that's about as bad as it gets.

I think he showed incredible courage not to lash out and say he was hurt and just take it like a man.

I doubt most of us would be that courageous. Honestly I like him more now.

I've said all along that he's too old and too injury prone to be behind this line and for us to expect him to stay healthy enough to do what he needs to do to win us games.

This whole idea of BA is great but if the QB isn't at peak performance none of it will work.

That kind of system is very fragile.

To top that off our line is no where near good enough for that strategy to have high odds of paying off.

Think of all the times he gets hit hard, each one of those adds up, to a young QB who's a little more durable ok but to a guy his age?

To win we need to get into the playoffs very healthy and stay that way. Especially at key positions.

Palmer is what he is but I think that if the situation was more a case of just playing ball then he'd do fine, once hurt there's nothing you can do about that.

Buckybird

Reaction score

Your entitled to your opinion Cheese, but the guy was outstanding in most of the big prime time games against strong opponents for 2 years now including the Hawks in Seattle which clinched the West.

Btw wasn't Peyton & Elway labeled the same way with all their past playoff failures before winning the big one? I know that Palmer has only had a small sample size compared to the 2 with 4 playoff games. It was a team loss, where everyone outside of DJ played their worst game of the season including the coaching staff. No team wins a game in the NFL with that team performance so let's not just pin that loss on #3.

You guys can call him a choker or whatever else you care to but this team isn't sniffing the playoffs without him. Fix the other holes on this team such as LB & Oline & stop pointing the finger at 1 guy for an abysmal performance yesterday.

I still believe the Redbirds can win the Super Bowl with Palmer at QB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion Cheese, but the guy was outstanding in most of the big prime time games against strong opponents for 2 years now including the Hawks in Seattle which clinched the West.

Btw wasn't Peyton & Elway labeled the same way with all their past playoff failures before winning the big one?

Elway ALWAYS got his teams singlehandedly further then they should have. And Peyton is still labeled the same way with all his past playoff failures.

I know that Palmer has only had a small sample size compared to the 2 with 4 playoff games. It was a team loss, where everyone outside of DJ played their worst game of the season including the coaching staff. No team wins a game in the NFL with that team performance so let's not just pin that loss on #3.

You guys can call him a choker or whatever else you care to but this team isn't sniffing the playoffs without him. Fix the other holes on this team such as LB & Oline & stop pointing the finger at 1 guy for an abysmal performance yesterday.

I still believe the Redbirds can win the Super Bowl with Palmer at QB.

everyone was uniformly awful. Just pointing out that Palmer has been uniformly awful in every playoff game he's ever played in.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Palmers quote mins ago. "I'm not going to the Pro Bowl I'm going to let my finger heal up".

Fire & flame away fellas

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Bucky and Conraddobler.

Carson will make some bad decisions and at times make throws that are head scratchers but he also makes many phenomenal throws. He is a gun slinger and there will be interceptions with that type of QB play.

I'm looking forward to watching Carson play next year and take us even further. I'm also looking forward to the improvements that BASK will make to our pass rush and Oline.